I feel so sad! I've been using Sandboxie and can't say enough good things about it!

slowday444

I only had it for three days and just had to ante up the $25 to register even though the free version is fine. I donated to CCleaner and WeatherPulse in the same manner because I was so impressed with those programs. I kind of feel guilty because I use numerous other programs that also deserve financial reward. Anyway, since I've been using Sandboxie there aren't any temp files to delete, thus very little need for CCleaner. I just feel like I've lost a best friend!

• Moderators

I understand how you feel about Sandboxie, it's another level of security and easy to use. I would feel very vunerable surfing without it.

But Slowday....CCleaner is still our friend :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

hazelnut, have you tried any of the other "virtual" type programs? Personally, I don't see the need since with conventional anti-ware I've never found any malware anyway. Plus I think Sandboxie is convenient and effective. I notice on Wilders though, there are a lot of folks that run two virtuals at the same time, e.g. Sandboxie and Returnil.

• Moderators

I had a quick try of Returnil but decided that I am okay with just using sandboxie as a single virtulization app, wouldn't like to be without it now.

As I sometimes beta test things I use FD-ISR as I find this more suitable for MY needs as I can boot to it even if windows won't boot. Sometimes a plus when beta testing!

I know Dennis uses Returnil and likes it, although I don't think he has Sandboxie as well.

As I've said a few times Slowday, each to his own, whatever suits YOU, and suits YOUR system :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Have 2 cents to add. Well, maybe worth 2 cents. . .

I have Returnil and Powershadow, both free, installed. Mostly use Powershadow, because it protects the whole hard drive. Returnil might do that also, but I think it just protects C: drive, and I want to protect D: drive, the recovery partition, also.

Good thing about Sandboxie is that it lets me see what has changed since it started. What got installed, where it went, etc. There are two screenshots attached to this post. After the first one, I installed an app called "iIProcess Viewer" sandboxed, and took another screenshot. The changes made are pretty easy to see. The changes will be gone after a reboot because Powershadow is running, but Sandboxie lets me see what was changed.

I don't know where the files and folders are processed when PS or Returnil are active. If you are really careful (paranoid? :P ) about having leftover stuff floating around somewhere on your hard drive, you can write a .bat file to securely delete the sandbox BEFORE you shut down windows.

Edit: I use Sandboxie ver 2.86, 'cause I have not yet got the .bat file to work for the new version. :huh:

Hazelnut and Dennis know a lot more about this issue than I do, so I would defer to their judgement if they disagree.

first sandbox:

sandbox1.jpg.xs.jpg

second sandbox:

sandbox2.jpg.xs.jpg

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
Hazelnut and Dennis know a lot more about this issue than I do, so I would defer to their judgement if they disagree.

I've absolutely no doubt that you know more about Sandboxie than I do login. I tried it, but just couldn't get away with it at all. But I'm still confident in saying it's a first class application just from the countless good things I've read about it on here.

I don't think I've heard any negative things said about it at all, and I'm sure there's a few people on here would second that.

You're right about Returnil only protecting the Operating System, and except for saying that it suits me, and gives me every thing I need from this type of application, I'll leave this topic for Sandboxie.

Have 2 cents to add. Well, maybe worth 2 cents. . .

I have Returnil and Powershadow, both free, installed. Mostly use Powershadow, because it protects the whole hard drive. Returnil might do that also, but I think it just protects C: drive, and I want to protect D: drive, the recovery partition, also.

Good thing about Sandboxie is that it lets me see what has changed since it started. What got installed, where it went, etc. There are two screenshots attached to this post. After the first one, I installed an app called "iIProcess Viewer" sandboxed, and took another screenshot. The changes made are pretty easy to see. The changes will be gone after a reboot because Powershadow is running, but Sandboxie lets me see what was changed.

I don't know where the files and folders are processed when PS or Returnil are active. If you are really careful (paranoid? :P ) about having leftover stuff floating around somewhere on your hard drive, you can write a .bat file to securely delete the sandbox BEFORE you shut down windows.

Edit: I use Sandboxie ver 2.86, 'cause I have not yet got the .bat file to work for the new version. :huh:

first sandbox:

sandbox1.jpg.xs.jpg

second sandbox:

sandbox2.jpg.xs.jpg

I thought Powershadow was shareware.