PDF Viewer quality comparisons (with screenshots).

DennisD

I don't really care about PDF quality. I use PDF documents quite rarely.

I use that old Foxit PDF reader 1.0 as my default PDF reader and most PDF documents works fine with it. I also got Foxit Reader 2 and i use it when some document doesn't work correctly with 1.0. (it's in the PDF "Open With" menu.)

Came across this site while looking around for alternative PDF viewers to Adobe 7, and the popular Foxit PDF Reader.

The guy who put these comparisons together put a bit of effort into it, and I think it's pretty useful.

DonationCoder.com:

Thanks for the link, Dennis -- great info.

• Moderators

Just came across something else following through some of the links on that page.

An Adobe Reader 8.1 Lite.

I don't think you'd get this from Adobe, and you can save the file and install it from the desktop.

Details:

165fs88526_th.jpg

Running a 140 page document.

I haven't tried the full version from Adobe. If anyone has, maybe they can say how it compares.

Link: DivShare File - ar81lite_eng.7z

• Moderators
Why some PDF reader matters so much??

It's not a case that it matters. Like a lot of people on here, I like to try new stuff, and I like to change apps just for the pleasure of using something different.

Why do you change your wallpaper? On your desktop and at home. Why change anything?

It's nice just to do, or use, something different occasionally.

And sometimes, as Andavari says, you might want something better.

Like I said in this topic actually PDF-XChange Viewer is a very good PDF reader (and freeware). A review about XChange Viewer here.

The developer has improved this application and the users have several updates versions lately (with palpable enhance). The last was the v. 1.0.0.22.

It has the useful basic edit features like typewriter that allow several practical tools: highlight text, comments and markup. Tools like loup, a button to open the document in others pdf readers (Adobe and Foxit) are interesting options.

Unlike rivals Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader it is a tabbed browsing pdf reader. It don't support yet the browser displayed though.

Like I need to use pdf files with attachments I have also Adobe Reader (neither XChange and Foxit support to show the attachments).

To decide between either Foxit Reader (search feature is a bad point) and PDF-XChange Viewer?

IMO - PDF-XChange Viewer of course...

Just came across something else following through some of the links on that page.

An Adobe Reader 8.1 Lite.

I don't think you'd get this this from Adobe, and you can save the file and install it from the desktop.

Details:

165fs88526_th.jpg

Running a 140 page document.

I haven't tried the full version from Adobe. If anyone has, maybe they can say how it compares.

Link: DivShare File - ar81lite_eng.7z

Has anyone tried the Adobe 8.1 Lite?

Like I need to use pdf files with attachments I have also Adobe Reader (neither XChange and Foxit support to show the attachments).

Does this mean that even if either of these two readers are set as the default viewer, neither one will open pdf e-mail attachments?

Does this mean that even if either of these two readers are set as the default viewer, neither one will open pdf e-mail attachments?

No. No one problem with to open pdf E-Mail attachments.

The annoyance is with the attachments that are inside of PDF files. E.g. a PDF file that has build-in it a .doc/.xls file.

PDF-XChange Viewer and Foxit Reader don't show the files that are inside of a PDF file.

No. No one problem with to open pdf E-Mail attachments.

The annoyance is with the attachments that are inside of PDF files. E.g. a PDF file that has build-in it a .doc/.xls file.

PDF-XChange Viewer and Foxit Reader don't show the files that are inside of a PDF file.

MajoMo, thanks for the clarification.

• Moderators

Just learned something new! :o

• Moderators
Has anyone tried the Adobe 8.1 Lite?

Yes Tom, me. That picture above shows it installed under Returnil, as I wasn't sure what it was going to be like.

But since then, I've reinstalled it for permanent use, as I like the look of it, the configureability of it, and in edit > prefs > rendering, you can set the resolution for laptops/LCD screens (clear type?), which really makes a difference.

I was gonna have a run with PDF Exchange Viewer, but it was using slightly more ram than Adobe, with the same 140 page document loaded, and with the page display setup the same.

166fs207831_th.jpg 166fs207916_th.jpg

If I hadn't gone for Adobe because of its superior render, and virtually equal ram usage, I would have gone for PDF Exchange, as IMHO it is also a very good program.

But bear in mind, my choice is based on what I require of a PDF Reader, which may be different from others. But, Adobe Reader 8.1 Lite is everything I want.

Hope this is useful.

• Moderators

That looks really trim and completely lightweight.

I may have to try it out after reading this description:

It's designed for portable use: it's just one file with no external dependencies so you can easily run it from external USB drive.

That looks really trim and completely lightweight.

I may have to try it out after reading this description:

I have looked at that one but it's very minimalist which is good if thats what you are looking for. It doesn't have a lot of featutre Foxit has.

I use Foxit and I have never had a problem with it rendering any documents. It's small, fast, no install, full featured, and documents look great for me.