So which is more logical, run NTREGOPT first or pagedfrg first?

slowday444

I'm basing my query on this: "Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in

any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive

(as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization

done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the

minimum size possible."!

I'm basing my query on this: "Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in

any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive

(as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization

done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the

minimum size possible."!

I have used both, and i have configured pagedefrag to do its thing each boot, i don't think it mattere as to which one is used first, i use both and i have noticed no performance increase if i switch around the order.

Registry Mechanic has a Compact Registry feature. I did run NTREGOPT a few hours ago and it improved it but 1%. I just did the Analyze with R M and it could save but 1%, so I'd say they both work about the same. R M is much faster though.

• Moderators
slowday444 said:
Registry Mechanic has a Compact Registry feature. I did run NTREGOPT a few hours ago and it improved it but 1%. I just did the Analyze with R M and it could save but 1%, so I'd say they both work about the same. R M is much faster though.

According to info displayed within Free Registry Defrag the registry is generally constantly at 1% and 2% fragmentation. I've found that statement to be true. That's why I don't compact/optimize the registry nearly as much anymore hence; it would grow in size right after reboot, or within a few mere hours, or a day.

Andavari said:
According to info displayed within Free Registry Defrag the registry is generally constantly at 1% and 2% fragmentation. I've found that statement to be true. That's why I don't compact/optimize the registry nearly as much anymore hence; it would grow in size right after reboot, or within a few mere hours, or a day.

I agree. From my experience with NTRegOpt I would reckon a reg defrag only needs doing once every 4-6 months at most.

You should run a registry defrag, if lot of entries are removed from the registry. I.e, if you remove some program and it leaves a lot of leftover reg. entries, that you delete after running a registry cleaning software. Otherwise, there's not so big need for registry optimizing.

From 'Free Registry Defrag' site: ...when information is deleted from the registry, holes are left which fragment the data within the registry. Registry compacting optimizes your registry by removing gaps and wasted space...

The improvement (%), depends what and how much registry entries is removed. Some entries left more slack space than others.

Comparing NTREGOPT to Free Registry Defrag, FRD is better, because there's analyze option.

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but just just found out some things. Free Registry Defrag and NTREGOPT do not require a reboot, so can be tested and run in PowerShadow or Returnil. Also, got an odd message from free registry defrag:

"The current registry size is 43,460kb, the estimated registry size after compacting will be 43.464kb. You will save (4)kb (9882575%) in registry size after compacting. " :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Thanks, JD. :)

NTREGOPT does not require a reboot to run. After it has run, say, in Powershadow or Returnil, you can see what it has done; see if you want to keep the changes, etc. For example, mine only compacted the reg about .01%, and being the registry scaredy-cat that I am, I just elected to leave it as-is after rebooting out of powershadow.

If I had wanted the reg compacting to be permanent, I would have re-run it normally and kept the changes. Ergo, the suggestion that it can be tested and run in PS or Returnil.

Was intrigued by the fact that after compacting, my reg was a tiny bit bigger than before. :lol: Unless I read that wrong?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.