June Desktops

rridgely

Well, we *are* talking about pirates here. LOL j/k :D

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators
Nice to see you removed the link good job, I'm not annoyed at all.

..... "pirates" in both meanings of the word.

Sorry but I looked at the link and it started playing the movie and it would have even let me download it. :P

If that site is hosted in the US or any other country with copyright laws it probably wont be around much longer. :lol:

It only lets you see the first 5 minutes, I couldn't let myself download it all.

Funny, the first thing they start mentioning is pirates :lol: then they start hanging.

Rather appropriate :D

fireryone

here is my unfinished desktop as it is as of June 9, 2007, 6:47:18 EST.

sshot-1-2.png

btw, I downloaded the telesync of the latest POTC movie, and it is my least favourite of the 3. I like Dead Man's Chest the best.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

It only lets you see the first 5 minutes, I couldn't let myself download it all.

Funny, the first thing they start mentioning is pirates :lol: then they start hanging.

Rather appropriate :D

I'd download it all but I'd probaby get caught and fined. lol But oh well, I'm off to see it now. And I'm even dressed for it...hehehehe

piratesshirtaj6.th.jpg

go have fun

And fun we did have! Can't wait to see it again...maybe next weekend.

And I've decided that I'm going to have a Pirate Party for my birthday this year. Arrrggghhh matey!!

How many times have you seen this movie? :P

LOL only twice, but hope to see it at least 2-3 more before it leaves the theaters. That should hold me over till the DVD release. I hope. :lol:

And you don't even want to know how many times I'v seen other two. haha

• Moderators

It is actually linux and its a distro called mint:

http://linuxmint.com/

Its ubuntu based but has a few customizations.(I just changed the theme)

Its deffinitely worth using this instead of ubuntu. I'm going to write up a topic about my experiences with it the last few days.

As much as I've ragged on linux in the past I have to give it its due when I find something good. :)

It wasn't a walk in the park to set up.(more on that tomorrow when I'm not about to pass out. :P)

• Moderators

Sadly I cant keep it installed.

The wifi drivers suck and keep dropping my connection even when I'm 3 foot from the router. Usually I can go outside and still keep connected.

Instead I'll just let you know what I like mint and what I liked/dont about linux:

Why to use mint instead of ubuntu:

Better drivers and config tools

Better programs installed(newer versions)

Configured to look more like windows and includes most of the stuff vista added(effects, search in start bar, ect)

Has fonts and stuff that makes web pages look like they do on windows. When I tried ubuntu before mint the pages looked like I was using IE 5 or something. UGLY.

What I liked about linux:

-No security concerns for the most part. On windows I don't really worry about viruses but it still is in the back of your mind. With linux its pretty much a non issue.

-Updating. Instead of only getting security updates in ubuntu/mint I would get updates for firefox, gimp, pidgen, ect. It would basically update all your software at one time.

- Very customizable OS. You can change pretty much everything.

What I didn't like about linux:

- Poor drivers. They finally released one too support my laptops sound card but I still had to edit a bunch of text files to get my headphones working.

-Confusing to install drivers and programs(not in repository). Everything is done in the command line and is confusing. I spent 3 hours getting my sound to work and I learned a lot about the commands and how things work while doing it but as soon as its necessary to go into the command line to do anything you failed from a usability stand point.

End thoughts:

I liked it when it was working. Its not that different then windows once its set up all the way.

It has great software for the most part and can do pretty much everything the average person needs to do but its not for the average person. Anyone who says it is, isn't looking at it from a general person's stand point. They are looking at it from the point of view of people like me who were bored and could spend 3 hours configuring sound.

I didn't really see anything that I couldn't do on windows. But I can now see why some people loved it.

I was happy when it worked but some of its still too buggy for me.

I tried those effects things that everyone raves about. I had to install some hacky driver to support my ati card and once I tried the effects it worked for all of about 10 minutes before it crashed the machine.

That's a kick ass picture. I may steal it from you. ;)

When I took the first glance I thought it was the Black Pearl. lol