Secret installation of CHROME with CCleaner!

terrystuff4

What makes you think that you have the wright to install CHROME on my computer without asking me?!!! How much is Google paying you to force CHROME onto peoples computers WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION?!! This practice STINKS especially in view of the fact that CHROME is impossible get completely off of a computer and get your default browser back. Even though the removal of CHROME asks what default browser you want, the process DOES NOT WORK!!! I have spent hours trying to get my default browser back with out success. I am very angry!!!!!

There is a very clear option to opt-out of the Google Chrome installation when installing CCleaner. There is also a slom build available which contains no installer addon programs.

I'm Shane.

Yes there is an option to opt-out Chrome browser. I use Firefox and I use CCleaner. I have never installed Chrome on my rig. You have probably pressed the next button too fast during installation. I also doubt removing Chrome would be that painful. Use Geek or Revo Uninstaller or something like that.

• Moderators

That's what was found out before, there's some sort of lag or delay.

i've had this 'lag' happen more than once myself.

what should be the screen that shows the tick box to include chrome either takes ages or remains blank but the buttons on the bottom are there so you forget to untick the chrome box as it never appears and you Next onto the next screen and continue with the CC install.

the only thing i've managed to figure out is it only occurs if the PC is unusually busy. this is the case as I have had the PC's doing other maintenance operations.

If the CC install is the only thing running, i've never had the 'lag' issue.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

The delay is present for 3 possible reasons:

1) Installer bug

2) Encourage accidental installation

3) Installer is busy calling up something about the Chrome installation, thus it hangs for a few moments (but wouldn't that be a bug?)

I am not sure which of the above, or combination of the 3 are the culprit(s).

NO!, NO!, NO! on million times NO!!! There was absolutely NO option given to Not install Chrome! CCleaner acknowledged to me in a email that Google pays them to put chrome on your computer on every install. Nasty, Rotten, Criminal, once Chrome is installed there is no way to get your default browser set back to Firefox. Yes I have googled the problem and tried all of the suggestions and NONE of them work. Every time that I open Firefox it says "Firefox is not your default browser......" I have removed every reference to Chrome in the Registry, Set default programs, used system settings, added registry keys to set default browser...nothing works. CHROME is MAL-WARE and should be banned!

Ok, well, all you have to do in this case, is just use the slim version of CCleaner install.

It does not come bundled with Google Chrome, & it is usually released after the main release of CCleaner.

You may have to wait a week or two after the main release, but it has no Chrome installer.

Nasty, Rotten, Criminal, once Chrome is installed there is no way to get your default browser set back to Firefox.

You are so very very wrong to say that I was unable to restore Firefox as my default browser.

The fact you you have a problem is unique to you and your system.

I suggest that your problem is that Firefox is broken on your system,

and the solution is to fully un-install Firefox and then re-install it.

Chrome did no damage to my browser.

It is quite possible that your Firefox ( and/or user profile ) was corrupt before Chrome arrived,

and it is more than possible that due to its corruption the "Not install Chrome" was not given focus and something else was displayed over it.

Flamer/troller/spammer.

Just tested, it might "hang/lag" just some milliseconds and then show the opt-out Chrome screen.

This is the poster's problem, might've downloaded CCleaner from somewhere else than Piriform/FileHippo.

• Moderators

That lag can also depend upon which antivirus is installed as some av's are quicker at scanning than others, etc. But the "wasn't given a choice" is rubbish, it's caused by the lag which was found out long ago and if you click before it shows the Google screen well you'll end up with Chrome being installed.

You have two choices use the Slim build like others have told you or use the Portable build - both of which don't include any 3rd party software from Google.

Also since this has already been discussed to death previously in other topics it serves absolutely no purpose to revisit it so I'm closing the topic as solutions to avoid the Google components have been given.