"Cached WPF Fonts*" :- Why clean it? Can I stop it ! ? !

Alan_B

Winapp2.ini cleans this and it is 34 MBytes that is instantly recreated when I launch my browser.

It seems to me an exercise in futility.

Where is the benefit in cleaning it ?

Is it really a breach of my privacy if my available fonts should become public knowledge :rolleyes:

Why do I need a 34 MBytes cache of all the fonts that are under the sun - I only read English.

Also of relevance, I now have an SSD that will give me "Courier New" etc. in the blink of an eyelash.

For myself and my SSD I fancy disabling the service

"Windows Font Cache Service"

I assume that only when using an HDD should I respect the warning

"It can be disabled, though doing so will degrade application performance."

I await advice before I find out the hard way whether or not this is my best idea of the year :)

I posted here because I have not only a general interest in the motivation of WinApp2.ini,

I also have a specific interest in disabling useless (to SSD) services,

and was concerned that any SSD query in the Winapp2.ini thread would not been seen by those who do not use WinApp2.ini.

Regards

Alan

The "Windows Font Cache Service" is actually a component of Microsoft .NET (well, technically Windows Presentation Foundation; which is a standalone subset of .NET)

There is really no harm in disabling it. Apps that require this service to render (Zune Media Player, MetroTwit and Win8 Metro Apps come to mind) will automatically start it when needed; despite you disabling it.

The only performance impact will be experienced while starting apps. With the service disabled, apps that use it will need to read your *entire* font collection into memory prior to launch (One of the many ways Windows is poorly designed). This service obviously mitigates that need by having everything already in memory; ready to go.

I'm Shane.

The "Windows Font Cache Service" is actually a component of Microsoft .NET (well, technically Windows Presentation Foundation; which is a standalone subset of .NET)

Thanks

That sounds like good news to me.

A prerequisite for any APP that I consider installing is that it should NOT use .NET :)

• Moderators

I have that service set to the startup type Manual because I've had a handful of programs that needed it and would complain if it couldn't be started. I'd think setting the startup type to Disabled may make some programs that require it cry foul.