New CC Cleaner

AliceZ

I had installed the 3.04.1389 version and was having a lot of entries (mostly OPEN WITH) that were showing up when we ran Registry cleaner (so much more than previous version). This happens in our WinXP, Vista and Win 7, 64-Bit computers.

Has the new verson "corrected" the Registry scan so all of these items (Open With, etc.) do not keep showing after the scan? Does anyone know?

We always downloaded and used the SLIM version for many years. Now we notice there is no longr a SLIM version. Which one would we have to download? We don't want any extras, such as toolbar, etc.

Please advise.

Alice

Now we notice there is no longr a SLIM version.

It has never come with the main version - always a few days later.

You CAN use the main version and UNCHECK the optional extras.

It has never come with the main version - always a few days later.

You CAN use the main version and UNCHECK the optional extras.

Thank you.

There appears to be only an INSTALLER version and a PORTABLE version at this time.

#1- So, if we wait a few days, the SLIM version would appear for download?

#2- Would the INSTALLER (or SLIM) version work on our WinXP; Vista and Win 7 (64-Bit) computers?

Only one download version for all of these computers?

• Moderators

"Unused File Extensions" is still showing a bunch of stuff on my system in v3.05.1408 (released today) which I'm not comfortable to mess with. So for me "Unused File Extensions" will remain unticked and unused.

• Moderators

There appears to be only an INSTALLER version and a PORTABLE version at this time.

That is now the norm, the full installation with the 3rd party addon will generate Piriform needed money, this allows the program to remain freeware for millions of users.

Actually Piriform don't even need to offer the Slim build anymore since people can simply uncheck any 3rd party addon such as Google Chrome or whatever, and since it's the norm in allot or most software nowadays people should just get used to it. Don't fly through installations by going click happy and read what's in the installer window, and there should never be any surprise extra 3rd party software installed if it isn't wanted when there's the option of opting-out which Piriform installers allow for opting-out.

#1- So, if we wait a few days, the SLIM version would appear for download?

#2- Would the INSTALLER (or SLIM) version work on our WinXP; Vista and Win 7 (64-Bit) computers?

Only one download version for all of these computers?

#1 - The Slim build for the past few versions has been released a few days after the normal installer - maybe wait one week.

#2 - Regular and Slim installers will work on any currently supported version of WIndows both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows versions, see the supported Windows versions here.

Thanks

Wow! A lot to digest now.

If we do download the new INSTALLER version for all our computers, will it over-write the old (slim) version as it did in the past? If that is true, will we still be able to un-check the "stuff" we do not want to install, such as tool bar, etc.?

Or, in order to do that (uncheck the extra crap) will we have to uninstall the old version (on all computers) and install the new version as a new program?

All so confusing.

Alice

(I am thinking CCleaner will be losing a lot of old friends.)

• Moderators

AliceZ just run the installer as per normal, it will install over the top of the already installed version and completely update it. The CCleaner on your hard disk is no different from the Standard installer and Slim installer, the files installed are identical!

Just untick what you don't want installed. Remember that there can be a delay in the installer so don't click through it too fast as that's how people can accidently end up with Google Chrome being installed.

Edit:

If you already use and have Google Chrome installed it won't even offer Chrome to you!

AliceZ just run the installer as per normal, it will install over the top of the already installed version and completely update it. The CCleaner on your hard disk is no different from the Standard installer and Slim installer, the files installed are identical!

Just untick what you don't want installed. Remember that there can be a delay in the installer so don't click through it too fast as that's how people can accidently end up with Google Chrome being installed.

Edit:

If you already use and have Google Chrome installed it won't even offer Chrome to you!

Thank you.

I did download the CC 3.05.1408, on the Acer netbook WinXP. The only thing I saw that I had to uncheck was installing a ToolBar. Nothing about Chrome, etc. (We don't have Chrome on the Acer!)

#1- Did I miss something?

#2- What is Tools/Drive Wipe? What does Drive Wipe do?

Please advise and thank you.

Alice

I was waiting for the slim version too but I can't wait so I installed the normal installer anyway. But the invalid file extensions thing, it still shows those "open with" entries with CCleaner 3.05.1408, I fixed them and I see no problems and some of them get recreated anyway.

What I cannot find out is where do I clean those obsolete Firewall Rules, blah blah blah.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Bookmark this site: http://www.piriform.com/docs

Here is the answer to your question: http://www.piriform....free-disk-space

Thank you. Do you have a reply as to why I didn't see anything about unchecking 'chrome' when I installed the Installer?

(Also, why did Ishi post a message on this thread? When that happens I get notified and then when I check for an answer to my question, I notice someone else posted their question on my thread.)

• Moderators
#1- Did I miss something?

It's chrome or Toolbar (seemgly at random). So the toolbar offer was the offer you got. So your golden.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
why did Ishi post a message on this thread?

Well, there's no reason why he shouldn't, it's an open forum. Ishi's response was relevant, and the title of this thread is so generic that anything could be posted here.

Well, there's no reason why he shouldn't, it's an open forum. Ishi's response was relevant, and the title of this thread is so generic that anything could be posted here.

I was just asking a quesiton as to why someone would post a question on my thread ("What I cannot find out is where do I clean those obsolete Firewall Rules, blah blah blah.") that dealt with 'Firewall' and not with my original quesiton?

I remember posting a quesiton on someone else's thread a while back and I was told I should have started my own thread, otherwise the originator of the thread would be getting email notices for anyone who posted another question on his thread, and not dealing with his original question. My question at that time was deleted and posted as a seperate question on a new thread.

And that is the reason for my question and I apologize for not knowing the "rules of posting" for this forum.

Thank you,

Alice

BTW: What could the title of my thread have been to make it "not generic?"

• Moderators

Hi Alice,

The major part of Ishi's post directly relates to the two questions in your original post, so I think that perhaps we should allow him to vent a little frustration on another matter. After all you did ask a fresh unrelated question yourself in the post preceeding Ishi's. The main point of my intervention was to ensure that members should not be discouraged from making a contribution.

You're quite correct that a new topic should have a new thread - if the thread title is specific. 'New CC Cleaner' is just too general, anything could go in there. If you wanted to restrict replies to registry concerns, for instance, then the title could have indicated that.

• Moderators

You've also got to realize this is a much more relaxed forum community. We may very rarely state to someone to stay on topic but in general we don't unless a topic gets so far off base there's no choice.

I apologize to Alice if the question I made on my previous post was irrelevant to what he/she was asking. The thread was entitled, "New CCleaner" so I thought I could post any concern I have relating to this new version of CCleaner on this thread because I don't want to start up another thread just to ask about that one simple question anyway which is where do I find the option to clean obsolete firewall rules.

I don't wanna start up a whole thread if I am just to ask a simple question just to keep things tidy on this forum.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

I apologize to Alice if the question I made on my previous post was irrelevant to what he/she was asking. The thread was entitled, "New CCleaner" so I thought I could post any concern I have relating to this new version of CCleaner on this thread because I don't want to start up another thread just to ask about that one simple question anyway which is where do I find the option to clean obsolete firewall rules.

I don't wanna start up a whole thread if I am just to ask a simple question just to keep things tidy on this forum.

No problem and my apologies for mentioning it.