antivir update

rridgely

• Moderators

A new version of antivir was released today. You can pick it up here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/

It seems they are about to drop support for anything earlier than windows 2000. Which I guess sucks for the people still using it. :D

I'm currently looking for a change log but from just glancing it over the only new thing I notice is a rootkit scanner built in(I haven't tried it yet).

I'll post a change log if I can find one.

• Moderators
This came out very early yesterday. I'm surprised no one mentioned it already.

I had already eluded to it yesterday in this post (in the middle of the post).

I still can't use AntiVir because it won't update, or if it tries to update it's at a mere 1 kbps which is completely unacceptable. :(

During it's ultra brief install I noticed the new additions, it now also features some slide up, slide down notification above the system clock.

I saw on Avira website that it has Avira Premium Security Suite which has a firewall integraded.

I heard their antivirus is one of the best, how about the firewall? Anyone has experience with it?

---

• Moderators
but i am still using avast on my laptop-ive started to like it, and it changes things up for me a bit. :)

The thing that is driving me bananas with Avast is how to initiate the scan in having to click all those buttons, options, etc., when AVG or AntiVir are much less involved. I also wish it would just scan the damn memory when initiating the scan and not while loading the main GUI. I however was able to make it somewhat less annoying by using the skin MAC Lover OS X which shows a little more on-screen options versus some other skins.

Yeah I can agree with you on that Andavari. I just thought I would give it a few more months so it has a chance on my system to demonstate its worth. Nothing worse than installing/uninstalling, etc. if you dont need to. Plus, I figured i would play around a bit and see the different programs i could put on a vista system vs. my xp system. Im getting familiar with the xp and actually (omg!) being able to configure a few things here and there. :)

The thing that is driving me bananas with Avast is how to initiate the scan in having to click all those buttons, options, etc., when AVG or AntiVir are much less involved. I also wish it would just scan the damn memory when initiating the scan and not while loading the main GUI. I however was able to make it somewhat less annoying by using the skin MAC Lover OS X which shows a little more on-screen options versus some other skins.
I know what you mean. I used that skin but I'm using the Vista one currently.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

I have Antivir installed on my laptop, and one of my desktops. The old pc(win98) is running avg and I just installed the latest avast on my other xp desktop. I do not like avast one bit, but I haven't tried it in a few releases so I figured I would give it a try.

I've been sending files to the desktop with avast installed one after the other to see if the network shield will scan them and its not. I'm not sure what its purpose is if its not scanning those files. :rolleyes: Theoretically the standard shield should scan them I guess.

Unless your using outlook you might as well disable that shield.(why it wouldn't look to see if you have outlook installed I don't know).

The internet mail shield will scan outlook express files(I just tested it).

The standard shield is alright and I wouldn't mess with it. My only complaint with it is that if it picks up a virus it doesn't give you the option to ignore the warning in the future. You can do that in the options menu but not from that prompt. I only know this because avast gave me a false positive when it ran a scan and detected part of panda online scanner(might have been the micro scanner I cant rememeber). It doesn't even give you that option when its detected in a scan, which I find pretty dumb.

I tried the auto scans andavari and it worked ok. I didn't wait to see what happens if a file is detected though. Does it just stop scanning and wait for you to do something or will it auto quarantine? Will it continue the scan if something is found?(this is pretty annoying as well. By default it doesn't wait untill the end of the scan to tell you whats found.)

Does anyone else think the web scanner is slowing down browsing at all? I can't tell if its in my head or if it really is.

This install isn't going to last long but I wanted to at least give it a shot.

-------------

On a side note, there was a new version of AVG released today as well. :D

• Moderators
I tried the auto scans andavari and it worked ok. I didn't wait to see what happens if a file is detected though. Does it just stop scanning and wait for you to do something or will it auto quarantine? Will it continue the scan if something is found?(this is pretty annoying as well.

I don't have the foggiest idea what it will do because it speaking of Avast Quick Scanner "ashQuick.exe" has never found anything on my system, but I never did a full system scan with it, and instead only used it to scan my backups which are created with a batch file before burning the backups to a CD-RW. I suppose it would be wise to properly test it by placing a few EICAR Virus Test files in a couple places on the system.

I guess I was totally annoyed by Avast enough, because I just removed it last night (kept the installer just in case I need it again) and installed the newest AVG Free last night. I'll however monitor that folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft" which became bloated before and perhaps craft a batch file to delete those files if they return.

• Moderators

I still have Avast, and like it, but I have to agree about the GUI irritation.

Must also mention though, that while I was having probs with PCTools firewall, Avast blocked 3 attempted incursions (is that the right word?) by the Lasser Virus in one day.

Had nothing more since changing to Windows Firewall.

• Moderators

Are you sure that PC Tools Firewall Plus and Avast worked 100% together? I had that combo installed and ended up removing PC Tools Firewall Plus because Avast was always changing some updater file Avast.Setup or something like that. Not that it matters anymore because I'm using AVG Free with PC Tools Firewall Plus at the moment.

• Moderators
Are you sure that PC Tools Firewall Plus and Avast worked 100% together? I had that combo installed and ended up removing PC Tools Firewall Plus because Avast was always changing some updater file Avast.Setup or something like that. Not that it matters anymore because I'm using AVG Free with PC Tools Firewall Plus at the moment.

I wasn't aware of any probs with Avast. Always updated regularly etc.

But maybe the problems I had with PCTools firewall, i.e. occasionally hanging, could have been due to some of unharmonious interaction with Avast.

But how can you tell?

Anyway, as you say, not that it matters now, but something to watch out for.

• Moderators
The firewall will have a pop-up displaying something like Avast.Setup, or Avast.Setup1 and will want user input if it's allowed to access the Internet.

Nope, never got anything like that, they seemed to be working fine together, and then PCTools suddenly started hanging.

Maybe this was related in some way to the recent hanging probs I've had with Windows Explorer, which, touch wood, are now sorted.

Anyways, alls running fine now, so I'll just stick with Avast & Windows Firewall.

:)