p2p software

• Moderators

Bittorent is a very good way to download files. Yes there are illegal ones out there, but its also used for legal stuff as well.(free online content, large downloads from small business or individuals)

Basically instead of you downloading a file from one location your downloading it from a bunch all at one time. At the same time you download, your uploading the part of the file you have for others too. So it saves everyone bandwidth because no single one person is soley hosting the file. If its a good torrent(lots of seeds) the downloads could even be faster than regular downloads. Its also considered good ettiqute(so not how you spell that. :) ) to leave your computer seeding the file even after you have it all for a few days/hours.(depending on the file of course. I always try to make sure I've uploaded 2 times what I've downloaded)

I use Shareaza with no problems, of course I always scan a download before opening it!

Hazelnut, is there a setting in Shareaza to automatically scan downloads, or do you do it manually after the fact?

From what I understand, Shareaza works on both the gnutella and the torrent concepts, so it seems almost the best of both worlds.

I'm really interested in how the p2p systems work, and how the actual software is created. It's such a neat concept. It actually seems to make the internet even more "global" and opens up some really neat ways of sharing information.

• Moderators
It actually seems to make the internet even more "global" and opens up some really neat ways of sharing information.

Yeah, and in some cases it's the only way of getting a download. Even some download sites are now adding their downloads as a torrent.

• 3 months later...