C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations

pwillener

I have some application that leaves its uninstaller in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations. Every time there is an upgrade, the folder turns out to be empty - the uninstaller for the old version is gone.

Today I experienced the problem again, I needed to reinstall the old version before I could run the new version.

Before installing the new version I thought that I'd defragment my C: drive. And before the defrag I quickly ran CCleaner. And then C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations was empty again...

• Does CCleaner empty that folder?
  • If so, why?
  • And how can I prevent it from doing so?

• Moderators
P.S. Downloaded the latest version of winapp2.ini, and that entry is no longer present. Ran CCleaner one more time, and my uninstallers are still there B)

Well sometime last year I complained about it breaking software for instance removing some downloaded installations files would make it impossible to install an updated version of an application, let alone uninstall it.

• Moderators
Just curious why some of you download the whole winapp2? I just copy and paste the specific entries I will use.

Because its easier than coppying and pasting the individual ones. :P

It doesn't do anything to have the whole thing even if you don't have all the programs listed.

• Moderators
I recommend Windows Installer CleanUp by Microsoft to remove the useless installer packages. You still need to know what packages to remove, but at least with this program you know what you are removing and it also removes all the registry keys/values relating to the installer package. ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

It's a good recommendation, however the Downloaded Installations folder can contain things for instance that belong to Microsoft Windows Live Safety Scanner, etc., so it isn't exactly a repository for Windows Installer packages which are in: C:\Windows\Installer

It's a good recommendation, however the Downloaded Installations folder can contain things for instance that belong to Microsoft Windows Live Safety Scanner, etc., so it isn't exactly a repository for Windows Installer packages which are in: C:\Windows\Installer

Yes you are right. My bad. :rolleyes: