Java update

JDPower

• Moderators
Don't forget to uninstall any previous versions; the JRE installer still doesn't uninstall earlier versions. It should at least give an option to automatically uninstall older versions.

Which is the reason why more software titles need to utilize one directory without version numbering them, etc., and they just need to do what Microsoft does and have hotfixes without having to remove a previous version at all

There seems to have been a reason for this in the past; some applications needed very specific JRE versions, otherwise they wouldn't run correctly. (I have one app that needs JRE 1.3.7!)

However, generally (since 1.5) there is no longer a need to keep multiple versions, so at least they could offer the automatic removal of older versions when a new JRE is installed.

On the other hand, Microsoft has started a similar confusing game with .NET Framework. I am still not sure what versions I actually need to keep, and which are obsolete - 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0...? Up to 2.0 you needed all previous versions, but I am unsure about 3.0 - I seem to be unable to find any definite answers :blink:

• Moderators

I have some applications that require .NET Framework v1.0 to work and removing v1.0 breaks those applications. I've installed 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0. The only reason I even installed 3.0 was because an up and coming Paint.NET version is going to require it.

• Moderators

I really like the latest version of paint.net. Its one of the few programs that seems to actually keep getting better with each update.

All I want is a magnetic lasso to easily cut stuff out, once it has that it will do everything I want. :D