Windows Geniune Advantage Notification Tool. BS!

Anthony A

Microstupid keeps trying to sneak this piece of garbage onto my machines with Automatic Updates. I have set my Windows Updates to notify me but not download and install so I just keep rejecting this update and hiding it but every few weeks the retards keep trying to sneak this buy me. It is really pi$$ing me off now.

I already had to install the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool. Any body that wants to use the Windows Update site or download MS software has to. I did this and MS knows I have a legit copy of Windows. This apparently isn't enough for these clowns. They want to slip this Notification Tool as well so if you are one of those that don't have a legit copy they can harass you constantly with balloon messages. This really bugs me. Obviously Windows Updates knows your system config thats how it determens what updates you need. There is no reason than for them to be trying to install this notification tool. When Updates looks at your system it should be able to determen that you have installed the Validation Tool and have a legit copy of Windows. On the same note Updates should also know who has a illegal copy. Send them the Notification Tool and stop trying to install crap on my machine. There is definitely a Mac purchase in my future.

You could just hide the update...

I installed it because it doesn't bother me that much. :unsure:

As I said in the first line of my post I have rejected it and hid it several times. ;)

It's the principal of the thing. The tool is a redundant thing. Once the Validation Tool is installed you have proven that your copy of Windows is legit. This Notification Tool is for those that do not have a legit copy. My copy is legit, all my copy's are legit, so MS can stop trying to install crap on my machines. The fact that I hid it and they still send it is just plain harassment. I have verified that it is hidden because when I go to the Update site and run the check for updates it informs me I have hidden updates. When I check them it is the Notification Tool. So it is hidden yet they keep trying to sneak it buy. The really annoying part is they send this update along with the regular Tuesday updates but also with the Windows Defender Updates like today. Maybe MS should spend less time harassing people and more time making software that works properly.

No, you can choose to hide updates on the microsoft site, I believe if you choose to hide the update it won't try to install. ;)

I did choose to hide on the Microsoft Site. More than once. When you go to that site you can also choose to see what you have hidden and restore the hidden updates if you want. I have hidden the Notification Tool update and checked the hidden updates and it is hidden but still they send it.

No, you can choose to hide updates on the microsoft site, I believe if you choose to hide the update it won't try to install. ;)

Thats correct, except after a few weeks I get the usual notice that updates are avaiable, and you can guess its being offered again. I have kept a copy of the removal tool. So if it does find its way back it gets zapped again.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

Thats correct, except after a few weeks I get the usual notice that updates are avaiable, and you can guess its being offered again. I have kept a copy of the removal tool. So if it does find its way back it gets zapped again.

Looks like I'm not the only one annoyed by this. What removal tool are you referring to?

This is just harassment from Microstupid. They are sending this update out with the Windows Defender updates as well. Yesterday was the second time they have tried slipping this by me. I am going to disable automatic updates from now on and check manually with the update site when updates are released. They are more concerned about annoying people than making decent software.

I noticed it had reappeared too, despite me having hidden the update a couple of times already <_<

Even if you hide the update, Microsoft withdraws it and issues a new "version" periodically so it's not technically the same update you hid. If you check the details on the latest one, it's dated 3/20/2007.

Even if you hide the update, Microsoft withdraws it and issues a new "version" periodically so it's not technically the same update you hid. If you check the details on the latest one, it's dated 3/20/2007.

They can change the "version" number, date, or what ever but it's the same tool and MS is just playing games with this different "version" thing. They are installing spy ware on your system. They are trying to sneak it in as a 'critical update" and even worse than that they are trying to install this spyware in their antispy ware program definition updates. How screwed up is that? :blink: I am seriously considering removing Windows Defender since this program which is supposed to protect me from spyware is in fact now a source of spyware from Microstupid.

• Moderators
I have kept a copy of the removal tool. So if it does find its way back it gets zapped again.

I've still got it too! ;)

----------------

Anthony is correct about the update, because even if blocking it not too much time later it shows up again as a "critical update" which is of course total b.s. Should MS ever insist that it be installed to use WinXP, or to update I'll quickly jump ship over to Ubuntu where such bulls**t is non-existent.

I agree that it is harassment since Windows Genuine Advantage has to be installed just to get updates in the first place, so the use of the WGA Notifications isn't much use for us legal users of the OS.

I think I read somewhere that the difference between the standard WGA and the WGA Notification tool is that the latter scans your PC and sends the computer unique identifier serial number back to Microsoft so that anywhere you go your machine (and thus you) can be specifically identified no matter what ISP etc you may change to.

If this is true it must be very comforting if you're a Chinese dissident or something!

That's why I don't install the thing.

You CAN lose your dog because it got loose.

You CANNOT loose your dog because it got lose.

Spot the difference?