QuickTime alternatives

DennisD

• Moderators

I know there`s an alternative QuickTime player, but is there a codec that will enable Windows Media Player or WinAmp to play QuickTime movies?

It`s for playing video made with a Nikon Coolpix camera. Trying to save on unnecessary programs, and I don`t like the Nikon bundled software.

:)

I suppose you've tried "Quicktime Alternative"? http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickT...Alternative.htm

Some advantages compared to QuickTime player :

- Quick and easy install

- It's easy to make an unattended installation

- No background processes

- Use a player of your own choice

- Low on resources

- Smaller size

fireryone

• Moderators
I suppose you've tried "Quicktime Alternative"?

Yep, as I say, I`ve looked at that but not too keen. May come back to it.

Thanks for link.

For digital pics/movies it gets no better than this right here:

Will have a look at Picasa, as there doesn`t appear to be a simple plug-in for Win Media Player or Winamp.

Have searched, but no luck. Thanks for link.

Gonna also have a look on the Nikon website. See if their PictureProject software has improved any.

• Moderators
For digital pics/movies it gets no better than this right here:

I`ve downloaded picasa, and I quite like it, but how do I play my .mov files with it.

It seems that you have to have QuickTime or QT alternative installed. Or, have you downloaded a codec?

• Moderators

The great thing about picasa is that it doesn't directly edit your pictures, you have to export them to get the edit versions. Meaning you can't mess up your files.

Also press the "i'm feeling lucky" button on one of your pictures, it usually does an awesome job at making your pictures look better. :)

yep, it`s a nice looking program, but what about the quick time .mov files.

I use Media Player Classic which is included with the K-Lite Codec Pack. right now, i'm using a modified version(since the original author went away somewhere...). if you want it, you can get it here.

• Moderators

Dennis, like rridgely I use Picasa for all my photos and movies off my camera. It does a great job of everything, and best of all, it's free :)

Also when you download your pics and you have some on your sd card that are already on the computer, Picasa will ignore them so you don't get them twice.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Hazel, how are you and rridgely doing that?

It will not play the movies off my camera. In the file types menu, I can highlight every type of image file except .mov, which my camera uses.

But rridgely also has a Nikon camera, and his movies play.

Gonna reinstall it later, but while I`m connected to the web. Maybe it automatically downloads the necessary plug-in during install. I`ve no idea, but I`m puzzled.

Maybe you have a different version? Anyway, I`ll come back to this thread if I can`t get it sorted.

Thanks for the reply by the way.

• Moderators

OK, thanks guys, :rolleyes: I`m going with QuickTime alternative/Media Player Classic.

I earlier downloaded a quicktime codec from Codec-Download, hoping to place it in picasa`s plug-in folder.

Thought it might work the way I downloaded the Lame encoder for AudioGrabber. But unfortunately, when I unzipped it, it told me to obtain Apple QuickTime:

B*****d. :angry:

Goes without saying I appreciate your input.

Since installing QuickTime Alternative, I can now play my movies in Picasa & Windows Media Player 11

Really, do they play ok in WMP? I have QT Alternative but all my .mov clips stutter really bad in WMP.

• Moderators
Really, do they play ok in WMP? I have QT Alternative but all my .mov clips stutter really bad in WMP.

That "may" be something configurable in WMP, then again it may be causing a problem using the QTA codec, who knows.

• Moderators

Dennis, just on a final note I use media player classic to watch all my dvd's, avi files etc by default (in windows media player tools, options, files types I unticked things like dvd and avi)

I find watching in media classic good as there are so many things you can do, zoom, fast forward etc. Have a try.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Thanks Hazel, I think that`s a good idea because of Media Classics straightforward and simple GUI, although the program itself is far from simplistic.

JD, yes, they play smoothly in WMP. I`ve tried a lot of them to make sure, although I have to load each file individually by manually selecting "any file (**)" in the file browse window.

The default "media files (all types)" will not recognize my .mov files which is a bit of a pain. In fact it`s a big pain, so I`m gonna use Media Player Classic, or if I`m looking at pics at the same time, Picasa.

Just out of interest, Faststone Viewer recognises all my .mov files now, but it loads Media Classic to play them.

To change your files default opening program, Right click on a .mov file go to "open with" click "choose Program" and select Windows Media Player tick the allways use box, press ok.

That should mean you wont have to manually open WMP to make a .mov play.

Though if you always open WMP before loading up a movie I guess you'll have to keep selecting *.*

fireryone

• Moderators
To change your files default opening program, Right click on a .mov file go to "open with" click "choose Program" and select Windows Media Player tick the allways use box, press ok.

That should mean you wont have to manually open WMP to make a .mov play.

Though if you always open WMP before loading up a movie I guess you'll have to keep selecting *.*

Thanks for your input, but I`ve actually missed the obvious solution, and that is to simply import all my videos to the WMP library.

Once I selected "videos", every .mov, divX etc was automatically imported and filed.

I can now play them singly or as a video playlist.

Sometimes the obvious is staring you in the face, and you don`t see it.

I`ve also got another program I can use to play movie playlists, and that is Veoh. It`s a good video downloader, as well as being a versatile player.

Besides .mov files it also plays FLV and divX. And it has a nice GUI.

WoodyGuthry.jpg.xs.jpg

That`s a downloaded Flash Video I tried. Works great, and Veoh is a free program if anyones interested. The download button is in the btm right corner of the page.