Defragmenter

CraigMartin

Hi. :D

I'm thinking of downloading a defrag program and would like your opinions/suggestions on which progam to use, an what you recommend.I've been lokking at IObit SmartDefrag 2.10 and Auslogics Disk Defrag,or do you think a paid one would be better?

I have a couple of questions, if you could help/answer them, cheers.

1.If I install a third party program do I need to disable the windows version in any way?

2.Is it worth getting a defrag program that works in the background, or is an on demand one better?

3.If I deciede I don't like it, is it just a case of uninstalling it an reverting back to the standard windows version with no ill effect?

Thanks

Craig.

i used to use iobit smartdefrag,didnt seem too good.

lot of people are recommending jkdefrag,im sure u can find the topic a few below this one.jkdefrag also optimizes the files it defrags,it seems pretty good and its free so you would probably be fine with that.

to answer ur Qs to the best of my knowledge

1)you wudnt need to disable the windows defragger,they wont clash like firewalls or anti-virus programs.also i dont think it wud be safe to disable/remove the windows defragger,not sure even how you would go about disabling it anyway

2)not really sure sorry

3)yep you just uninstall any defragger program you dont want and everything will be fine,no ill effects.

check jkdefrag,it seems class,no need to pay for a defrag program imo

Who watches The Watchmen?

Yup, I would go along with the JKDefrag recommendation. Really good defrag program and even better now its got a GUI as personally I don't really like command line programs.

As your second question wasn't answered (background or on demand defragger), I just don't think its necessary to have a permanently running background defragger (just my opinion)

So I'm confused! Can jkdefrag just be started manually from a shortcut and without a command prompt?

Yes, it now has a GUI so you can just click on that, tick the type of defrag you want and click run.

I just dl'd and ran it the other day and saw no GUI check box selection just the colored disk blocks being moved/defragged?

Ran jkderfag.exe and it defragged all my drives and left a report, all in a single double click definitely recommended.

fireryone

I personally like Diskeeper Pro, as it defragments not only user files, but page file, MFT, and folders file, and can be scheduled to run during off-times.

The (free) Diskeeper Lite version is pretty good as well, but it doesn't have the additional features mentioned above.

P.S. when installing Diskeeper (Lite or Pro) it will automatically replace the Windows defragmenter. (When uninstalling Diskeeper, the original defragmenter will be restored.)

I just dl'd and ran it the other day and saw no GUI check box selection just the colored disk blocks being moved/defragged?

Ran jkderfag.exe and it defragged all my drives and left a report, all in a single double click definitely recommended.

In the same folder as JKDefrag is JKDefragGUI, just click on that and it brings up the GUI with four choices of defrag

no not there.

VER3.6

JkDefrag.exe

JkDefragCmd.exe

JkDefragScreenSaver.exe

JkDefragScreenSaver.scr

doc (folder)

thats all, did I download the wrong build?

I d/l it a the-day or so after sputnik recommended it...

fireryone