Emergency! Well sort of, can you help my daughter?

slowday444

My daughter, who is working part time on her MBA at Boston U, uninstalled Office7 Beta today for some incompatibility issue she was having while working on a project. She had been using 7 Beta for several months and really liked it. She was using her companies lap top (XP Pro) and it also uninstalled MS Office. Apparently, the Beta must have installed over Office. Now she has no Word, Excel, etc. She tried doing an XP restore but it gave her the message (I paraphrase), there is nothing wrong with your computer, try an earlier restore point! Have any suggestions? My main question is: since she doesn't have the XP Disc, since it's a company computer and tech support is in Atlanta and she is in Boston, if she contacts MS and they see she has a valid copy of XP, would they give her a link to download Office? Thank You!

i don't think that they would actually give a download link to Office. if there is a trial version on the Microsoft website and if she has a valid serial number, then it might be possible to do it.

but something tells me that Microsoft will only give a download link to Office if they even have one.

besides contacting Microsoft, she could start using OpenOffice.

would they give her a link to download Office? Thank You!

no, your best bet would be to borrow someone elses XP disc, I think that would work..

that is if MS office is a default when installing XP.

EDIT: are they free programs?

im not sure but i think this may help, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse....F3-9FF96F68E491

no, your best bet would be to borrow someone elses XP disc, I think that would work..

that is if MS office is a default when installing XP.

Nope, MS Office is not default. It is a separate disc/program that requires purchase.

I would suggest 2 things. Make a backup before installing beta software (especially on a work pc), and for the time being her best bet is Open Office like JD said. She also needs to call her IT department, and see what they have to say. They could possible send her the program via internet along with the serial number. You never know. :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hey slowday,

This is just a shot in the dark, have her check Add and Remove Programs. If Office is still there, she can try clicking on it and then click on "change" and see if it will reinstall. You might get lucky.

I'd suggested that also but she said she checked and it wasn't there! She basically has resigned herself to the fact that she has to call her IT folks tomorrow. Thanks all!

From another site, a poster linked a 60 day trial of Office 2003 which seems to be working fine. This will get her through a busy week. Before informing her IT department she is going to cry to MS and see if that gets her anywhere. Apparently all of her important work things are in Outlook. Thanks all!

So, in the past month, three of us at work just got new Dells with XP Pro and our IT lady left the XP Pro Service Pack 2 Reinstallation CD. When my daughter comes for Christmas will we be able to reinstall Office with this CD? I assume it's part of Pro, right? Thank You!

• Moderators

No, office is completely seperate from windows service packs.

To install office you need an actuall office instalation disc.

You might be able to get your IT guys to remote install office for you or mail you a disc but other then that there is nothing you can really do. :(

No even though she has a valid Windows XP license they wont give her a link to download Microsoft Office, as they're two entirely different and separate products.

If she can't get Microsoft Office but really need an office suit, then OpenOffice.org is available on the Internet for free to download. It is compatible with Microsoft Office. They just released a new version recently too.

I've used it, and I like it.

* http://www.openoffice.org/

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png