Free Backup program and CD-Rom emulator

JDPower

• Moderators

Still looking for a backup program that I like

I went through that for years myself! The one built into Windows isn't all that great but can help in a pinch - so long as it doesn't give error screens or crashes.

The best backup program was under my nose for years and I never knew it until one day earlier this year when I was playing in WinRAR and noticed I could create profiles that only backed up the files I wanted it to. It's nice because the .RAR archive format even has the ability for a recovery record so file corruption isn't a real issue with the backups I have.

The nifty thing is the backup profiles can be created as shortcuts and then all be moved into a single folder for easy access to all of them, plus if they're ran a second time and the update mode is changed to Synchronize WinRAR will remove no longer existing files from the archive that aren't in the actual folder location any longer.

Don't download or install the CD-ROM Emulator software just screwed up my system totally will have to do a total reinstall of everything, you cant even uninstall the thing all software programs lock up and will not run. Had to get on one of my other computers to just get back on the forum. Have to say one of the only programs I have ever had do this everything was working fine till the install so I have no dought it was the problem.

• Moderators

Don't download or install the CD-ROM Emulator software just screwed up my system totally

I won't touch Paragon's software ever again because of their disk partition software that killed my XP install back in September.

Hopefully you have a XP Restore Point to use to undo the damage!

I won't touch Paragon's software ever again because of their disk partition software that killed my XP install back in September.

Hopefully you have a XP Restore Point to use to undo the damage!

Well im back up but just barely alot to do yet but off to work for tonight start up again in the morning.

so the Alcohol 52% download was better than this, eh? Sweet :)

Guys, I understand some of your frustration, but this is the nature of dynamic software. What works brilliantly on one computer won't work at all on another - it all depends on your configuration, operating system, setup and, of course, security software.

For instance, I work on our Computeractive magazine and the amount of emails I receive telling me how our free downloads are 'rubbish' as they can't download them. Yes, can't download them. Some people can't even download the apps, never mind install them.

Paragon Software is ok, but like any dynamic hard drive management software, it has potential to go wrong. I absolutely love Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8 for example, but I wouldn't ever perform a partition or a disk clone, without backing up my data first. That also applies to the same software from Acronis and others.

What we're doing as a publishing company is making software available free of charge. The end user can then determine whether they a) like the application or B) hate. That's why we also recommend testing the apps under virtual scenarios, such as using the free Virtual PC 2004 from Microsoft or VMWare technology.

Opinions?

Chris/vnunet.com

For instance, I work on our Computeractive magazine and the amount of emails I receive telling me how our free downloads are 'rubbish' as they can't download them. Yes, can't download them. Some people can't even download the apps, never mind install them.

Opinions?

Chris/vnunet.com

I seem to have this problem with vnunet lately, although after days of trying I will eventually end up managing to download whatever it is I am after. I have never emailed ComputerActive about it though, ..........YET. :P

Guys, I understand some of your frustration, but this is the nature of dynamic software. What works brilliantly on one computer won't work at all on another - it all depends on your configuration, operating system, setup and, of course, security software.

Chris/vnunet.com

Well I totally under stand what your saying. I took the risk and lost but thats just the way it goes sometimes. This isn't the first instance that some software has crashed my system and it probably want be the last I'm sure. It's not exactly the way I wanted to go about getting rid of all this Norton stuff on my computer and start using my eTrust software. At least i will have a nice clean install. :)

I seem to have this problem with vnunet lately, although after days of trying I will eventually end up managing to download whatever it is I am after. I have never emailed ComputerActive about it though, ..........YET. :P

The servers are all working correctly. Bear in mind that the software is supplied through FTP, so if your setup is designed to prevent access from FTP sites (believe me, we have this problem where security software will allow a HTTP download, but not by FTP), it will start to download, get to about 200Kb, then stop downloading.

That's not the server, that's your security software.

Chris.

• Moderators

The servers are all working correctly. Bear in mind that the software is supplied through FTP, so if your setup is designed to prevent access from FTP sites (believe me, we have this problem where security software will allow a HTTP download, but not by FTP), it will start to download, get to about 200Kb, then stop downloading.

Chris.

I used to have the FTP problem years ago and it was frustrating as hell and took forever to find the cause. I eventually figured out it was an adblocking Proxy filtering software I was using. Simply removing it from the FTP settings in all browsers allowed for FTP downloads to work again. ;)

Chris.

Yep, you were right, it was Comodo firewall stopping it.

Now I just have to figure out why.