Paragon Partition Manager 2005

rridgely

I'd suggest before someone uses this that they first play with it on a old unimportant non-critical system first (e.g.; not your main PC), or on an old hard drive! ;)

That's a good idea I used it on my 2nd. HD that I backup to on a daily basis not sure if it was something I was doing or not it seemed pretty stright forward, but the programs keeps wanting to run a Disc Check on that drive every time I rebooted so I uninstalled it for now no lose on my part all the info I had on it went back on it last night and is fine. Will look into that a little more on Wed. when I finish my 3 12 hr. shifts.

• Moderators

That's a good idea I used it on my 2nd. HD that I backup to on a daily basis not sure if it was something I was doing or not it seemed pretty stright forward, but the programs keeps wanting to run a Disc Check on that drive every time I rebooted so I uninstalled it for now no lose on my part all the info I had on it went back on it last night and is fine. Will look into that a little more on Wed. when I finish my 3 12 hr. shifts.

Yeah I only posted the warning because I had used it on my C:\ drive to "attempt" to partition it and during the slow ass boot screen it has which "completes" the partition it froze and thus f'd up my Windows XP installation which was no longer recognized, thus I spent 12 hours reinstalling everything from scratch.

• Moderators

Ouch andavari. :(

At least I know probably had backups of everything. :D

Yeah the funniest thing is WinXP installed twice as fast as that damn Qwest QuickCare DSL software, honestly the installer is pure s**t and has nothing but problems detecting the modem, it's that same bulls**t I went through the first time I installed it a couple of weeks ago, e.g; multiple reboots (this time I counted 10). Seriously I could use Inno Setup and make a better installer for them! What's even funnier is it stated I needed to power cycle my modem for it to work then reboot, yet Windows Automatic Updates stated I had updates to download, ha ha ha and I just let it download them all and then the Qwest software finally installed.

It's pretty sad when a standard software installation is so piss poor that even something bloated like the Windows OS can install faster.

I'd suggest before someone uses this that they first play with it on a old unimportant non-critical system first (e.g.; not your main PC), or on an old hard drive! ;)

Hm, sorry to hear that. I suppose that's always the tricky dilemma with partitioning software. Here am I writing about partitioning your C: drive (on downloadjunkie.co.uk) and I 'forgot' that the problem with partitioning your main drive is that you can, in theory, lose everything if it goes wrong.

Paragon Partition Manager is still pretty decent software though, I hope.

Chris/vnunet.com.

• Moderators

Here am I writing about partitioning your C: drive (on downloadjunkie.co.uk) and I 'forgot' that the problem with partitioning your main drive is that you can, in theory, lose everything if it goes wrong.

Paragon Partition Manager is still pretty decent software though, I hope.

Well I should have known better as I've partitioned before on my old Win98 system, but that was only when I was going to immediately afterwords format C: and reinstall a buggy Windows. In any event it was only a 12 hour set back for me since I had everything backed up on CD-R/RW and my secondary hard disk D:.

• Moderators

I have been happy with PowerQuest's PartitionMagic for more than 10 years. But since the software now belongs to Symantec, I am not sure if it can still be recommended...?

I can't count how many times I've used PartitionMagic and not once has it screwed up, however that was with versions of the software before Symantec acquired it.