Why not to run xp in 2024

• Moderators

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Eric turned off the firewall on Windows XP before he started the experiment

I feel the experiment was a bit sensationalist :)

EDIT>> Please read the comments under this article.

https://www.neowin.net/news/video-shows-exactly-why-you-shouldnt-run-unsupported-windows-and-stick-to-1011/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Makes me think they don't have a single clue what the they're doing! I'm not even going to bother reading their article because I've seen a countless variety over the years claiming such. They obviously don't know what they're doing as in at all when using an unsupported OS, what did they do install it fresh and then leave it as is connected to the Internet waiting to be auto-infected, hell when Microsoft supported it just like their current OSes Windows is just a malware magnet.

XP can still be locked down allot to not get infected at all, and it doesn't need any modern annoying s**t like UAC which doesn't actually protect the OS. Number one thing is don't browse websites with it at all since all web browsers for it are also ancient and unsupported, unless of course it's to a security software related vendor, i.e.; anti-virus/anti-malware although security software can be downloaded on a modern protected system and copied to a USB Flash Drive to feed an old unsupported OS.

There's still a very small handful of real-time protection up-to-date anti-virus/anti-malware that can be installed on WinXP (Panda Dome, aka Panda Free Antivirus is what I've used for over a decade), HOSTS file(s) to lock down the security and auto-protect from some malware, making sure the one-way Windows Firewall in it is actually working, setting Internet Explorer to Work Offline mode and not allowing it to ever connect to websites, etc. Should anyone bank or buy something using XP absolutely not with the OS being unpatched since 2014 (other than Microsoft patching a handful of some things later on that couldn't be ignored).

My Win10 laptop is my main computer, however I do still have an old XP Dell desktop that gets started daily (old hardware doesn't usually like being turned off for too many days within a 7 day period), and that old XP system hasn't been infected with anything (verified umpteen times by unpacking the disk image backups I make of my XP system and letting my modern Win10 laptop virus scan it), and it can still do some things and/or use some software that modern Win10/Win11 can't.

• Moderators

Agree with all the above, experiment would have been better without the disable of firewall.  As i stated it's possible to run xp safe if you know enough about securing it. However most who would run XP wouldn't know to secure it.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com