PDF-XChange Viewer Last Stable Release: 2.5.322.10

Jamin4u

• Jamin4u changed the title to PDF-XChange Viewer Last Stable Release: 2.5.322.10

@hazelnut

I did see Sumatra as a good alternative.  It's good to know that someone I trust uses it.  I don't have great confidence in using a disconnected or unsupported piece of software anymore.  Trackers new software is much more than I need.  Along with the limited maintenance period of updates, without registering it.  Trackers viewer has been good to me, but I think I'll give Sumatra a try.

• Moderators

These days for online PDFs I just view them in the browser (Firefox) and then save them if I want to keep them. Most browsers can open PDF's now,

You can also set the browser to be the default app for opening your saved PDFs, which they can do offline too.
If you do that then no neeed for a seperate PDF viewer and so one less app to have installed.

For saved PDFs I tend to just use Adobe Reader DC.
Yes it can be a bit OTT just for viewing the odd PDF, but it does the job and I've never got round to evaluating the alternatives.
Perhaps if I viewed PDF's more often I'd spend the time to look at few different reader apps.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

@nukecad

I just discovered a few days ago that browsers can open PDF'S.   At this time, I just read PDF'S and don't do any creating or editing.  Using a browser is definitely something to consider as a read only app.  

I have a friend that wants something other than using a browser which is what started my pursuit for an alternative.

@hazelnut

I used Windows sandbox to test out Sumatra and it does what its intended to do.  I see that both versions have a check for updates under the help tab.

What's the update process like?  Meaning is it downloaded and updated or is it done manually by visiting the site and downloading then installing.  My friend is not tech Savey at all, and this would matter to her.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Jamin4u said:

@hazelnut

What's the update process like?  Meaning is it downloaded and updated or is it done manually by visiting the site and downloading then installing.  My friend is not tech Savey at all, and this would matter to her.

I usually download latest version over the top to update. Literally takes seconds.

Very occasionally I update through the interface. It works on Win 11 too for me.

I prefer to use Sumatra to open website pdf's on my system so I can save then if I want.

I choose in Settings to set it as the opening default for pdf's

Screenshot 2024-04-01 110124.jpg

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

@hazelnut

It sounds nice and easy for updating.  I'm willing to educated  her on what she needs to do.

Besides the default method you mentioned,  I also use right clicking on a file > open with and choose app once or always.  The latter has changed a little from Windows 10 to 11 but still works.  

• Moderators
On 01/04/2024 at 11:21, Jamin4u said:

@hazelnut

Besides the default method you mentioned,  I also use right clicking on a file > open with and choose app once or always.  The latter has changed a little from Windows 10 to 11 but still works.  

Keep an eye on this

https://www.ghacks.net/2024/04/08/new-sneaky-windows-driver-ucdp-stops-non-microsoft-software-from-setting-defaults/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com