Norton folder in program data folder after updating WTF

Posted (edited)

I want answers to what this is and how to wipe if it if it turns out to be hidden Norton junkware you snuck in that doesn't even show up in installed programs I swear I'm switching to Bleachbit I swear to god

Edited by WtfMan!!!

Posted (edited)

Also I now have some performance optimizer background task I did not consent to that being enabled this application gets worse and worse for the last 4-5 years maybe even more I swear
I just disabled it through services.msc but watch it reenable itself

Edited by WtfMan!!!

at first i was thinking that ccleaner wouldn't install anything norton but then i remembered that ccleaner (avast) was bought by the same company that owns norton.

the "performance optimizer" is suppose to shut down processes that run in the background, that are not needed, but now, with performance optimizer's running in the background, the only process that is not needed, and needs to be shut down, is the performance optimizer itself.

• Moderators

The Performance Optimiser task has been there a while, it's needed for the Performance Optimiser to work.
If you are not using Performance Optimiser then the task doesn't do anything.

I'm also seeing that Norton folder.

My guess is that it's to do with the changes to the Software and Driver updaters, whether it should be there or not is another question.

CCleaner and Norton are now part of the same group of companies and do share software development.
It may be being created by a bit of Norton code that has been inadvertently carried over.

I'll see if I can find out any more about it.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

in ccleaner's "options"/"cookies," i am seeing what is shown in the picture. i wasn't seeing that, before installing ccleaner 6.22.

i am not seeing any "extensions" added to either firefox or the MS edge browser, on my computer. i am assuming that they are hidden.

CClean4.jpg

• Moderators

Yes browsers have their own extensions for certain functions, which are not the same as user installed extensions/add-ons so don't show in that list in the browser.

There is another thread today about those particular ones suddenly showing up as empty when running Custom Clean, and always showing up everytime as zero bytes.
I'm not sure if it is changes to CCleaner or to Chrome and Chromium based browsers (particularly Edge) that has caused them to start showing up.

My suspicion is that they are actually 'cookie containers', and empty until cookies are put in them.
Similar to the 'cookie jars' that Firefox started using a while back, but not quite the same.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

@WtfMan!!! 

On the issue of the Norton folder being created.

I've now had it confirmed that this is - "definitely not intended" - and the developers are investigating.

15 hours ago, WtfMan!!! said:

Updated CCleaner and now have a Norton folder in ProgramData ...

Hi WtfMan!! :

Just an FYI that this technology sharing  goes both ways.  See my 25-Feb-2024 post in SoulAsylum's Interesting and "Telling" in the Same Moment in the Norton Tech Outpost about fines the FTC recently imposed on Avast for collecting and selling selling customer data between 2014 and 2020 through their Jumpshot subsidiary, and the Avast files (e.g., C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Local\Norton\AvastScanDump.txt) that NortonLifeLock customers are now seeing on their computers.
------------
Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4046 * Firefox v123.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24020.7-1.1.24020.9 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.10.316-1.0.2286 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.21.10918

4 hours ago, nukecad said:

@WtfMan!!! 

On the issue of the Norton folder being created.

I've now had it confirmed that this is - "definitely not intended" - and the developers are investigating.

There is also a Piriform folder that is new in ProgramData but that's not the one that is arising concern/suspicion from me

• Moderators

It looks to me that it's arisen from a snipet of code that had been ported in for a different purpose, but hasn't been cleared of a 'make an ini' instruction.

In which case it would make the ini and a folder to put it in, but it's then just sat there with nothing referencing it or trying to access it.

Programme developers often share code snippets with one another, why write new code for a job if someone has already written something that does the same job.
(Of course you are supposed to check what you have borrowed, in case it also includes things that you don't want/need - like an instruction to make an ini).

If you want to then you could make that Norton folder an 'Incude' in Custom Clean so that it will get removed whenever you run Custom Clean.
Although it may. probably will, come back again until the CCleaner devs clean up that code snippet and remove the instruction to make one.