Cookies not showing up or being cleaned in OPERA Browser

BigAl1818

Same here. I've noticed this problem when running CCleaner on recent versions of Opera including the latest i.e. v104.0.4944.54. (It also fails to clean the "History>recently closed" list.)

The latest version of CCleaner Pro i.e. v6.18.10824 (64 bit), still doesn't clean Opera cookies or "History>recently closed".  It seems that Opera may have changed the location where cookies are stored.  After some searching I have found that Opera currently stores cookies in the following folder:

C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable\Default\Network

(See also https://allaboutcookies.org/what-is-a-cookie-file)

I raised a ticket with CCleaner help desk--located in the Philippines no less!--and their suggestion was to "Restore default settings" in CCleaner.  That didn't work. 

Warwick

• 4 weeks later...

I now have the latest version of CCleaner Pro i.e v6.19.10858 and it still doesn't clean Opera cookies and browsing history and perhaps other components correctly.

Previously I said that Opera currently stores cookies in the following folder:

C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable\Default\Network

That folder contains a file named “Cookies” but, apparently, Opera doesn’t store all cookie information in that file.

As a test, I deleted the entire “..\Network” folder then launched Opera again.  Opera re-created the folder, including a new “Cookies” file, and yet the hundreds of cookies in the “Opera>Settings>Cookies and other site data>See all site data and permissions” list are still there.    

Also, the “Cookies on Computer” panel in the CCleaner “Options>Cookies” screen is essentially empty even though there are hundreds of cookies in the “Opera>Settings>Cookies and other site data>See all site data and permissions” list.

Whatever the case, CCleaner is not cleaning Opera cookies and other components of browsing history as it should.

• Moderators

Just to be sure Opera is fully exited when you look at the cookies to keeps section in ccleaner?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

On 15/12/2023 at 04:39, Nergal said:

Just to be sure Opera is fully exited when you look at the cookies to keeps section in ccleaner?

The "Cookies on Computer" list is essentially empty and is the same irrespective of whether Opera is running or closed.  At the same time there are  still about 500 cookies listed under “Opera>Settings>Cookies and other site data>See all site data and permissions”, and running CCleaner doesn't affect that list.

• Moderators

@BigAl1818 @warwick.t

Just a thought, do you have your Opera browsers synced?
https://www.opera.com/features/sync

If a browser is synced then anything that CCleaner clears for that browser from your machine will be put straight back from the cloud by the syncing.
That's how syncing works.

The only way to clear synced browser data, including cookies, is from the browser itself.
CCleaner cannot touch the data/cookies stored on a sync server up in the cloud.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

At present I have synchronisation turned off.  Even so, I’m not sure that would be the answer.  As I understand it, sync works the other way around -- if you change Opera locally, either manually or with CCleaner, then that new configuration is pushed up to the cloud. 

When I run CCleaner the progress screen appears to show that it is “cleaning” Opera -- messages flash momentarily for Opera Cache, Opera History and Opera Cookies and other Opera components but it no longer spends time showing progress as it cleans relevant files/folders the way it used to for Opera and still does for other apps.  Also, the final cleaning results screen only ever has a line for Opera Cache and then only for a small number of files and KB.  As I’ve said before, after cleaning I still have a list of over 500 cookies and full browsing history is also still there.  

As I interpret it, CCleaner is cleaning old locations but not current locations for Opera.

• Moderators

Making changes in the browser itself does change what is synced in the cloud, but clearing a browser with CCleaner would not change what is in the cloud.
So it would get synced back next time you opened the browser.

That's because the syncronisation is not running unless the browser is running, and CCleaner can't clear a running browser.
(If browser sync was still running in the background then CCleaner would either ask to close the browser or just 'Skip' the browser, depending on what you had set for that previously).

Did you clear/delete what was on the sync server before you turned the syncing off?
If not then try clearing it now (within the browser) and turn sync off again once it's c;eared.

I do agree though that from what you decribe then it does seem that Opera has changed where it stores things on your machine, and CCleaner hasn't caught up with those changes yet.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks nukecad.  Of course you are correct that CCleaner has to close Opera to clean it so syncing is a possible complication.  Anyway I have now run “Clear browsing data” from within Opera with all options selected—history and cookies list were empty as a result--then turned syncing off and also logged off from Opera.com.  I then browsed a number of sites to build a history and get some cookies.  After running CCleaner--Opera components flashed up on the progress screen during the run--the history and cookies were still there and unchanged.  (I use Macrium Reflect to back up my Opera profile each day so I have been able to recover all my settings.)

On 14 Dec I reported my test of deleting the “..\Network” folder to the CCleaner help desk. 

On 14/12/2023 at 14:52, warwick.t said:

As a test, I deleted the entire “..\Network” folder then launched Opera again.  Opera re-created the folder, including a new “Cookies” file, and yet the hundreds of cookies in the “Opera>Settings>Cookies and other site data>See all site data and permissions” list are still there.    

I'm still awaiting an acknowledgement/response.

Previously, as part of investigating this issue, I also uninstalled and re-installed Opera but that didn’t do any good.

Warwick

PS I do like your location and Interests.  Here in Sydney it's quite warm at present.

• Moderators

It looks like your testing rules out the syncing complication then.
Dunno, maybe the devs are just being slow to add the new Opera locations, or maybe there is some other issue?
(When Firefox started using 'Cookie Jars' it wasn't just the locations that changed).

It's pretty cold up here, although it should get up to 11 deg-C today.

• 1 month later...