C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleanerBugReport.exe as part of v6.04 Pro

xClean

Attempts to make an outgoing connection on all systems where 6.04 is installed.

Have blocked all outgoing traffic with Glasswire Elite.

Apparently there is no other way for a user to control what this executable is trying to accomplish.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, xClean said:

Apparently there is no other way for a user to control what this executable is trying to accomplish.

If you think about it there is one very simple way to make sure that any exe can never run, remove it.
If it isn't there then it can't run.

Whether doing that has any other consequences is another question.
But for something that supposedly only reports if/when a bug happens then I think I can manage without it.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Are users certain that CCleanerBugReport.exe is part of the new reporting tool added to CCleaner v6.04, and if so does this executable automatically send crash reports back to the Avast / Piriform servers?

I asked a similar question in my 22-Sep-2022 topic Can I Disable New Reporting Tool in CCleaner v6.04?.  However, I use CCleaner Portable and do not have an executable called CCleanerBugReport.exe.  The only .exe executable or .dll library I keep after unzipping ccsetupxxx.zip is CCleaner64.exe (see image below). CCleaner Portable v6.04 still created the \Log subfolder (which currently contains 1 file called unp309859003616653267i-unhandled.mdmp) and the \Setup subfolder (which currently contains 1 file called config.def) so it looks like my Portable version is still capable of generating crash reports.  Note: I'm guessing my CCleaner dump file was generated on 22-Sep-2022 because I was unable to safely eject my USB thumb drive (the location of my CCleaner Portable files) after closing the CCleaner v6.04 interface and all open instances of File Explorer and had to kill the CCleaner64.exe process manually in Task Manager before I could eject my thumb drive.  This problem hasn't re-occurred since then.

1998813908_CCleaner6_04NewFoldersforReportingTools22Sep2022.png.b4036a625fe3b7cb0ad8dff12c8f2bfe.png

I don't know if it's relevant, but all my settings in the Improvements and Offers sections at Options | Privacy | Privacy Settings & Information are disabled and I've blocked outgoing traffic for CCleaner64.exe in my Microsoft Defender firewall as instructed in the How-To Geek article How to Block An Application from Accessing the Internet with Windows Firewall.
----------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2006 * Firefox v105.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2207.7-1.1.19600.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.14.210-1.0.1767 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.04.10044
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, lmacri said:

Are users certain that CCleanerBugReport.exe is part of the new reporting tool added to CCleaner v6.04,

Well it wasn't there before updating to 6.04 so I'd say it's safe enough to assume so.

It doesn't appear to be running as a background process, but I'll need to restart to double check that.

PS those 2 folders are not new - in the installed version the Setup folder has been there for ages, I'm not sure just when the Log folder appeared but again it's been there for a while.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

43 minutes ago, nukecad said:

PS those 2 folders are not new - in the installed version the Setup folder has been there for ages, I'm not sure just when the Log folder appeared but again it's been there for a while.

Hi nukecad:

I don't ever recall seeing those \Log and \Setup folders created with any CCleaner Portable version prior to v6.04, but perhaps that's because previous versions have never crashed before.

I downloaded a fresh copy of the Portable ccsetup604.zip and unzipped and these are the only files and folders bundled inside the .zip file.

405620889_CCleaner6_04AllBundledFilesFoldersAfterFreshDownloadandUnzip23Sep2022.png.fec4d5095d878a64458bdc5782e50b45.png

I was also able to confirm that CCleanerBugReport.exe is now included inside the \x64 and \x86 subfolders of CCleaner Portable v6.04, so it seems that executable is new to CCleaner v6.04.  However, my image <above> shows that I don't copy the \lang, \x64 or \x86 subfolders over to my USB thumb drive when I update my CCleaner64.exe executable, so CCleanerBugReport.exe is not present when I run CCleaner Portable from my USB thumb drive.  I'm not sure how my CCleaner Portable v6.04 could have created those \Log and \Setup subfolders on my USB thumb drive unless CCleaner64.exe (and / or the 32-bit CCleaner.exe) is responsible for generating the crash reports and CCleanerBugReport.exe has been added to automatically send those crash reports back to the Avast / Piriform servers.

1540427819_CCleaner6_04x64SubfolderContainsCCleanerBugReport_exe23Sep2022.png.b40127cd1670e6f16efb2d4f02058ab4.png

----------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2006 * Firefox v105.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2207.7-1.1.19600.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.14.210-1.0.1767 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.04.10044
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Moderators

Didn't you have that issue a few versions back where the Portable was updating itself and installing on the USB, those folders might have come from that install?
Maybe delete them (maybe the whole CCleaner directory) and see if they come back when you download a new postable?

I've reinstalled 6.04 from scratch here and had a look around.

CCleanerBugReport.exe is set to run silently as a scheduled task.
It is triggered to run once a day at a set time. If you are logged onto your computer at the set time.

From my reading of the command string it reports/sends files from the 'Log' Folder, the 'CCleaner' folder, the 'Setup' folder, a unique identifying number, and the CCleaner version number.

You can see most of that  in CCleaner>Tools>Startup>Scheduled Tasks.
(You'll need to use Windows Task Scheduler to see the triggers).

Why it's in Portable I have no idea? I guess it's just not been removed?
If it's not installed on your computer (or you have the USB plugged in) then it can't be run as a scheduled task.

• Moderators

Sorry, had to dash out.

What it's sending seems innocuous enough.

But I don't see them wanting those files from millions of users everyday, so there is probably something in the exe that checks for a new logfile and only sends a report if there is a new one.

Which could cause a circular issue if you regularly block outgoings with a hostsfile or similar.

It works like this - The app trying to report an error gets blocked. So it sees that block as another potential bug and tries to report it, which gets blocked, so it sees that .......

And round you go in a reporting-blocking-reporting-blocking cycle.

4 hours ago, nukecad said:

Didn't you have that issue a few versions back where the Portable was updating itself and installing on the USB, those folders might have come from that install? Maybe delete them (maybe the whole CCleaner directory) and see if they come back when you download a new postable?...

.... CCleanerBugReport.exe is set to run silently as a scheduled task. It is triggered to run once a day at a set time. If you are logged onto your computer at the set time...

Hi nukecad:

Are you thinking about the bug in discussed mogli's 11-Apr-2022 topic 5.92 portable broken [download 5.91 from website]?  Technically speaking, CCleaner  v5.92 wasn't "installed" on my USB thumb drive - per Andavari's 06-Jun-2022 post <here>, running the CCleaner64.exe executable just created unnecessary registry entries it wasn't supposed to because the CCleaner64.exe executable for CCleaner Portable v5.92 was not in the same location as the portable.dat file.  As I said before, I don't recall ever seeing those \Log and \System subfolders created with any previous version of CCleaner Portable (including the buggy CCleaner Portable v5.92) and I'm sure those \Log and \System folders were only created after the first time CCleaner Portable v6.04 was launched (and perhaps only after CCleaner64.exe crashed). I don't really care about the exact timing of when the \Log and \System subfolders were created by v6.04 since I already deleted both copies of CCleanerBugReport.exe that were bundled inside ccsetup604.zip and presume this would prevent any crash reports from being automatically sent to Avast / Piriform without my permission.

When I updated to CCleaner Portable v6.04 I deleted everything on my removable USB thumb in E:\Portable\CCleaner EXCEPT ccleaner.ini, downloaded a fresh copy of ccsetup604.zip from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds and saved it to my hard drive in C:\Users\<myusername>\Dowmloads, unzipped ccsetup604.zip there, and then cut three of the unzipped files (CCleaner64.exe, portable.dat, and license.txt) and pasted them into E:\Portable\CCleaner folder on my USB thumb drive so they were in the same folder as my old ccleaner.ini file. I always update to a new version of CCleaner Portable this way so nothing is carried over from a previous version EXCEPT ccleaner.ini, so I don't see how those \Log and \System folders could be remnants of a previous CCleaner Portable version.

I should have mentioned that I had previously checked my Task Scheduler and there is only one task called CCleanerSkipUAC that checks the status of my setting at Options | Advanced | Skip User Account Control Warning each time CCleaner is launched (I currently have that setting enabled).  AFAIK it's normal for this task to be created for all editions of CCleaner, including CCleaner Portable.

33620627_Win10Prov21H2TaskSchedulerCCleanerv6_04CCleanerSkipUACTask23Sep2022.thumb.png.f8b47096a0cb8a52b97332f863b072f9.png

600643570_CCleaner6_04ToolsStartupScheduledTasksCCleanerSkipUAC23Sep2022.thumb.png.ba5e5dcfd6c62381dd20ff43887ad7d4.png

----------------

• Moderators

@lmacri
I did note above:

From my reading of the command string it reports/sends files from the 'Log' Folder, the 'CCleaner' folder, the 'Setup' folder, a unique identifying number, and the CCleaner version number.

So yes v6.04 (or the bug reporter exe) is probably creating those folders if they don't already exist, so that the bug reporter can then report what's in them.

Whether there should be a bug reporter in the Portable is really the same question as whether there should be one at all.
Some are going to hate it being there, others won't be bothered.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, nukecad said:

But I don't see them wanting those files from millions of users everyday, so there is probably something in the exe that checks for a new logfile and only sends a report if there is a new one.

More on that.

Looking in C:\Program Files\CCleaner\Data\log I have a file called 'BugReport.log' from Thursday 22nd.

Opening it and having a read I note the following two lines towards the end (my bolding)

[2022-09-22 12:57:02.633] [notice ] [bug_report ] [ 3796: 6368] [C7D5BA:  67] {PackageType_2::LogFilesWithReport-90-6.04.10044} * Metadata
submitted and we don't want this payload. Marking as reported.
[2022-09-22 12:57:02.633] [notice ] [bug_report ] [ 3796: 6368] [CEB539: 174] {PackageType_2::LogFilesWithReport-90-6.04.10044} Payload
was NOT submitted

Like I said; if I was Piriform I wouldn't want millions of unnecessary files being sent to my servers everyday, cloging up bandwidth and then taking up storage space.
So check the metadata to see if there's a new bug report, and if not then you don't want any files sending.