CCleaner Pro Makes Restore Points Whatever I Do

Carbonite

Hi: I'm perhaps unusual in not using system restore, I use frequent Macrium Reflect & have no need for System Restore for decades- The thing is CCleaner Pro makes a Restore Point when run whatever I do, even if I disable System Restore in Policy Editor/or disabling it in System it still manages to make a Restore Point - Disabling System Restore in services don't help as that stops Macrium Reflect from working. The thing is it's a recent issue as far as I can work out & CCleaner it seems didn't make Restore Points - I've searched the program & I cant find an option for CCleaner not to create a Restore Point - Is there any way to prevent it doing this please or have I missed something? I realise most users wont System Restore but I haven't used it for years & rely on images - Best wishes Paul

Windows 11 Pro 

it's a known bug in the latest version of ccleaner. the solution is to roll back to build 6.02.

see this thread:

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/63493-ccleaner-upon-loading-is-enabling-the-disabled-windows-restore-feature/

you will need to disable ccleaner's automatic-updating so that it stays at build 6.02, for the time being.

• Moderators

Just to make it clear - CCleaner 6.03 isn't creating restore points itself when you run it; but it is turning them on in Windows so that Windows can then make them if/when it wants to.

PS. The old advice not to enable System Restore with SSD's is just that; old advice.
With modern SSD's using System Restore is not really going to 'degrade' them like it could with early SSD's, yes there will be some extra writes but not enough to make a noticable difference to a modern SSD.
(Just how useful restore points actually are, and how often they fail to work anyway,  is a different debate).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Why it would enable system restore in the first place is a mystery - I actually spend over two hours last night trying to work out what was happening, I upgraded the PC to Pro to use Policy which CCleaner still overrode - I don't care about the life of SSD's as by the time they are worn out they will be upgraded long before that, although there are windows services that is a good idea to disable as a SSD just does not need them & will slow a PC slightly regardless of it's calibre - I just find Sys Restore almost useless, on PC's I fix I enable it for others but never find it's ever fixed anything on other PC's - However personal choice, good to see the usual apology from the developers as in none whatsoever.  

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Carbonite said:

Why it would enable system restore in the first place is a mystery

It's a bug, it shouldn't be doing it for everybody everytime.

(PS. The bit about SSDs was just general information, not aimed at anyone specifically).

12 hours ago, Carbonite said:

good to see the usual apology from the developers as in none whatsoever.  

You presumably noticed the apology from CCleaners senior product manager on the other thread? You did make the next post after it.
(Not a very big apology I agree).

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043