Can Microsoft Edge be removed / uninstalled using Ccleaner and consequences

BS OConnor

·       Can Microsoft Edge be deleted / uninstalled using Ccleaner?

·       Will this uninstall effect how windows applications work or don’t work?  I ask because during a web search on how to delete Microsoft Edge – the following was the first statement that appeared.

Microsoft Edge is the web browser recommended by Microsoft and is the default web browser for Windows. Because Windows supports applications that rely on the web platform, our default web browser is an essential component of our operating system and can't be uninstalled.

• Moderators

CCleaner can NOT remove it!

I've did this before because I don't like Edge Chromium using scripting via Windows Power Shell which can very easily remove it -- just search for it online there's many reputable sources that explain exactly how to do it. Although I don't recommend it having already did it before with one install of Win10.

Caveat:
Uninstalling Edge Chromium means there will be no system default web browser installed, which in of itself can be a pain. What this details is if the 3rd party browser you're using has any significant bugs (instant crashing, freezing, etc.,) preventing it from being able to open you'd have to use a secondary computer to access the web, etc. So in such a scenario it's best to have a working secondary backup 3rd party browser... ...just in case.

• Moderators

You shouldn't (can't fully) uninstall Edge anymore, - as Microsoft say it's now an integral part of the operating system.

Many/most of the articles you will see about uninstalling Edge were written:

1. When both Internet Explorer and Edge were automatically installed with Windows.
  2. When it was 'Old' Edge and not the newer Edge Chromium.

Back then uninstalling the Old Edge would still leave IE as a backup for the system and other apps to use.
And that still happened for a while after Edge Chromium first came out, IE was still there if you removed Edge Chromium.
But IE is no longer installed with Windows, and whilst you can uninstall parts of Edge Chromium (using PowerShell as Andavari says) doing that can/will cause problems with your Operating System and with other apps.

Just install the browser of your choice and make it the default browser - then simply ignore Edge.
(Unless you need to use it because something goes wrong with your preferred browser).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Microsoft and their constant background auto updating of Edge Chromium was bound to backfire at some point and it did on my system yesterday. They done went and broke something by auto-installing a messed up version because it won't even launch anymore on my system. Not that I care because I don't like it, and never wanted it (but now there's 1.78GB of the rubbish on my system and it doesn't even work). Them breaking it is seriously bad if it's someone's only installed web browser.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Andavari said:

Microsoft and their constant background auto updating of Edge Chromium was bound to backfire at some point and it did on my system yesterday. They done went and broke something by auto-installing a messed up version because it won't even launch anymore on my system. Not that I care because I don't like it, and never wanted it (but now there's 1.78GB of the rubbish on my system and it doesn't even work). Them breaking it is seriously bad if it's someone's only installed web browser.

Andavari see here

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-edge-105-wont-start-due-to-old-group-policy-how-to-fix/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com