Need support on file eraser

I have NEVER downloaded or used this program.  My former company is stating that I somehow installed this program on my work computer and wiped the computer before turning it in.  Says that forensic review shows this tool was used deliberately to prevent file recovery.  In reading about the program, I would have to download it and imagine using an email address.  I need to prove that I never downloaded it.  Few facts, we could not install software due to having no admin rights.  Also, IF this had been used then the site says files are easily recoverable.  They state that the program make it that anything done to the computer is not recoverable or detectable.  I never did this.  

Any insights into proving this?

• Moderators

Firstly I am not a Piriform employee. - These comments are one (experienced) user to an (alleged) other.

TBH it's much more likely that some enthusiastic IT tech has wiped the computers drive after you turned the computer in, to get it ready for the next user.
That's what is routinely done with company computers when an employee leaves, and there should be a log in the IT department if that's what happened.
(If they are not keeping logs for each piece of kit they handle then they are not doing their jobs properly).

Are they saying that it was definitely CCleaner that was used to wipe the drive, or are they saying 'something like' CCleaner?
(It would also be interesting to know how they think they can tell what was used to wipe a drive, after it had been wiped).

You might like to ask them what tool their IT department routinely uses to wipe drives when an employee leaves.

But you can't prove that you didn't do something, it's just not possible to prove a negative.

For example:
You don't need to provide an email to download and install CCleaner Free version.
You do an email to Purchase CCleaner Pro, but could have used a false email.
Both of those need to be installed, but there is an advanced CCleaner version that can be used without installing it.
So you can't prove that you didn't use it; but neither can they prove that you did.

More about Drive Wiping:
CCleaner's Drive Wiper is used to remove traces of already deleted files so that they cannot easily be recovered.
(Easily recovered - FBI, CIA, etc. may still be able to get at some of them with special forensic tools that are not normally available).

On a non-system drive it can also entirely wipe the drive, deleting everything on it so it can't be easily recovered.

For safety CCleaner's Drive Wiper cannot delete any files on a computers operating system drive, the one that holds Windows. It can only clear the free space on that drive.
So if there was only one drive in your PC then CCleaner's Drive Wiper could not have deleted any files from it.
(Other drive erasers may be able to fully wipe it, but in that case the computer would no longer contain Windows and so couldn't be booted).

In conclusion:
You need more details of just what they are alleging, and ask/tell them to prove their allegations.
"Innocent until proven guilty" remember.
If they think you did something wrong, then it's up to them to prove it.

PS. Just what are they alleging?
Any work related files should have been saved on a central server, or backed up to one at least daily, so they can't have lost any work related files.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Agreed, it the OP needs legal advice then he/she should consult with a lawyer.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

As said it's practically impossible to prove that you didn't do something.

eg. How can you prove you didn"t order something using a false identity? Or that someone else didn't order it for you? (Answer - You can't).

You can prove that you did something but not that you didn't.

That's why in courts the prosecution have to prove that you did something and not the other way round.

Yeah thanks alot sir.  I have consulted seveal IT profressionals who all agree.  I don't want to say much, but this should be fraud on their end.  CCleaner has never touched that machine and couldn't be loaded by me anyway.  I researched some more, and the free version (no email needed) doesn't wipe anything.  The advanced version needs a credit card and email, both I never did and should be able to at least prove not done with anything I owned.  

• Moderators

What is meant by "text fragments"?

That could mean anything and recovered "text fragments" could have come from anywhere. (Say a google search, or an article/review that mentioned it in passing, or .......).

PS. You still haven't said who is trying to achieve what end in this argument? I assume it's some kind of compensation dispute, in which case we are only getting one side of the story, which may (will) be biased.

• Moderators

Agreed,

I think we have given enough non-legal help now and there is no more that could be said on a user forum.

So this thread should be closed.

• Admin
On 11/12/2021 at 00:27, Need support urgent said:

I need to prove that I never downloaded it

From the CCleaner side, it is noteworthy that for privacy reasons the CCleaner product does not log IP address and aggregates geographic usage data at the country level.  Piriform would be unable to provide any information that might support or contradict an assertion of CCleaner use by an individual ... unless you were in a country that somehow had its own dedicated IP address range despite you being the only person in your country who owns a computer.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes