"Glitch??" in Registry Scan in CCleaner for Windows

In recent times I've experienced what appears to be an anomaly in the Registry "Scan for Issues" feature of CCleaner - that has me wondering if some sort of glitch has developed.  Whenever I click on "Scan for Issues" the green progress bar instantly appears completed...which is a major departure from what I've experienced over many years now...which is a gradual progression of the horizontal, green scan bar as the system scans the registry...which has typically taken around 30 seconds or thereabouts.  Has there been some sort of incredible, technical update development that enables a registry scan to be instantaneous or does this represent some sort of error in the process?  I'm simply not confident it's doing its job.

• Moderators

It can be fast if there is nothing to find, but instantly seems a bit quick. (But if you have a SSD as your system drive it could be very quick).
You could try reinstalling CCleaner?

We recommend not to regularly use the Registry Cleaner with Windows 10. Windows 10 changes the registry often which can give false results.
See this: https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59952-i-get-a-registry-error-on-ccleaner-on-windows-10-i-have-scanned-5-times/?tab=comments#comment-326804

Here is Microsofts stance on using any Registry Cleaner: "Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners."
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Yes, agreed...it is instant...not something that seems right.  I do not have a SSD system drive.  Yes, I have already uninstalled/reinstalled fresh CCleaner; same result.

I have not changed to Windows 10, keeping with 7 as long as I can.  In any event, I'm gleaning that I should not be wanting to keep registry clean via CCleaner regularly??

If so...it seems it would be prudent and helpful advise for the good folks at piriform to provide that guidance up front, eh?  What's the situation with that aspect?

And finally...if I continue to get an instantaneous generation of a fully complete green progress bar...what other steps can I take to seek guidance for remedy or explanation?

• Moderators

Perhaps because the scan finds nothing that could be the reason? Or perhaps items are unchecked for it to scan, that's a possibility. On my Win10 system with an SSD and everything checked it finds nothing, although the scan takes 3 or 4 seconds.

Thanks Andavari...but keep in mind that the scan has found registry errors during some scans while not in others...over an extended period of many years that I've monitored. The green progress bar always takes some time to inch and jerk along - it has never been instantaneous even when it comes up with nothing.  Now it does, repeatedly.

That is the motivation for my concern and query.  Even with a Win 10 and SSD your registry scan takes SOME time...eh?  Mine with Win7 and no SSD takes NO time.  Bizarre.

• Moderators

It is bizarre to instantly scan. I guess the only way to find out if it's still working is wait awhile, and then see if it eventually finds something to remove.

One thing to try is right click the CCleaner icon and select to run it as administrator, only other thing I can think of is perhaps it's a privileges thing since it does need admin level to clean the registry.

• Moderators

I would note that Win 7 is EOL now - so nothing is going to be changing the registy - so nothing will be found.

(Unless you get Win 7 malware from somewhere)

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 months later...
On 24/05/2021 at 17:14, Gregarious Greg said:

Yes, agreed...it is instant...not something that seems right.  I do not have a SSD system drive.  Yes, I have already uninstalled/reinstalled fresh CCleaner; same result.

I have not changed to Windows 10, keeping with 7 as long as I can.  In any event, I'm gleaning that I should not be wanting to keep registry clean via CCleaner regularly??

If so...it seems it would be prudent and helpful advise for the good folks at piriform to provide that guidance up front, eh?  What's the situation with that aspect?

And finally...if I continue to get an instantaneous generation of a fully complete green progress bar...what other steps can I take to seek guidance for remedy or explanation?

Hi Gregarious, bad things happens but what to worry about? I hope CCleaner would come up with the fix but in meantime, you can try [advertisement deleted] registry cleaner, a good alternative to CCleaner. But of course, CCleaner would always be on top for clearing cache's, junks etc. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dave CCleaner
advertisement deleted

Thanks for your considerate reply Justin - and your attempt to assist by providing an alternate work-around given the CCleaner glitch/shortcoming.

As to "Dave CCleaner" editing your reply post by deleting the alternative suggestion you provided...I can understand the motivation/reasoning as this IS a CCleaner comment stream...but in all truthfulness, Dave - if you would have provided at least some substantive narrative, suggested remedy...or even assured me that you were alerting/forwarding my concern to any other Tech with the necessary skill-set to potentially resolve my issue - I would have felt much more positive about your engagement here.  Just sayin'