I used optimize on my pc HDD

Psych

(Full problem) My computer was being very slow, I initially though windows Update and stuff so I left it, but it continued for days,so I opened task manger and monitored in between my work, even for extended periods of time the disk usage(HDD) is always at >90%, no matter the number of tasks or the disk transfer rate. I read online that defragging would solve the issue, so I ran the windows defragger and it really went down. I also came across suggestions to use defraggler piriform(I always use ccleaner but I never knew this existed).

(Please read this) Here I made a big mistake after analysing in piriform defraggler I also ran optimize, I later came across the defraggler doc which goes "optimize is for SSD". My computer uses HDD. What should I do now, it's been stuck at optimizing(83%). And my PC  disk usage is at 100% again. I am afraid my HDD will fail. Please tell me what should I do?. Should I cancel the optimize? and just run defrag?. 

IMG_20210522_223057.jpg

• Moderators

It shouldn't do any harm to the HDD.

Optimise should work on both SDDs and HDDs.

But it is a bit different to an old style defrag. Things change.

If you noticed Windows built in defragging app is now called "Defragment and optimise drives" - or similar depending on your Windows 10 version.

But yes just use the 'Stop' button and wait for it to finish what it's working on and then stop doing any more

PS. Disk usage will almost always be at 100% access when defragging/optimising. If you want to do something else that needs disk access then it's not a problem as the defragger will stop using 100% until it can again.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

No problem.

It does sound as if your disk may have an issue though.

I'd advise to do a search for the Windows commands 'ChkDsk', 'DISM and 'SFC' which run in a command window to check out the disk and fix errors.

They are a more advanced thing to use but very useful to know about if you are having disk issues.

Andavari gives a bit more info on how to use the basic options here:  https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/60460-ccleaner-does-not-empty-my-recycle-bin-even-is-checked/?tab=comments#comment-329104

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Well known issue, see this search and preferably follow what a PC manufacturer or well known tech website states - it doesn't require any 3rd party software to fix it either, what's built into Windows will help you remedy the issue:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Fix+100%+disk+usage+in+Windows+10

Edit:
As for the built in Windows 10 Optimize Drives running in the background and interfering with your work on the PC you can get around that by manually running it such as; Start it when you know you won't be using the PC for many hours such as before you go to bed and let it run overnight (remember to turn off your monitor so it isn't needlessly using power and being worn out):
1. Open: This PC
2. Right click your hard disk drive and select: Properties
3. Click: Tools
4. Under Error Checking click: Check
5. Under Optimize and defragment drive click: Optimize, then in the Optimize Drives window highlight your hard disk drive and select Optimize.
6. You can now turn off your monitor and leave the computer to finish optimizing the drive without interruption.

One thing is for certain with an SSD the optimization is done so quickly it won't interrupt you when working, you won't even notice it. Getting something like a small SSD OS boot drive of at least 240GB to 256GB is more-or-less a standard (although with current pricing at least 480GB to 512GB makes more sense price-wise) and is all that's really needed for Windows 10 to fit comfortably. The hard disk drive can be repurposed as a mass storage data drive to store music, movies, etc., that you don't want taking up the SSD capacity.

• Moderators

ChkDsk shows more information that you can digest, plus it can be more powerful such as running a surface scan using ChkDsk /R to find bad sectors which is something I do no more than once or twice per year on my backup hard disk but that takes hours on a 1TB or larger hard disk.

The This PC method isn't really all that useful to be honest, it's just a quick way but it gives very little information.

• 1 month later...

11 gb is a lot. Have you tryed the "file-list-defrag" ?

Its faster

Can you make a pic to see, what files are the biggest one?

Perhaps such files as hiberfil.sys and pagefile or so with the size of your installed RAM. There is shortly a great among of hdd-space in useage with this

With 8 gb of ram there are minimum 16 gb only for this files on your hdd.

This 2 files alone fragmented can be 3% or more with 380 gb used hdd ...

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"