Quick questing regarding the "update" feature of CCleaner.

aggrophobik

I just used the update feature from within CCleaner for the first time. I couldn't help but wonder, does using the built in updater add the CCleaner browser by default, or use the settings of the last time it was updated? I usually opt out of any extra fluff. Love CCleaner, just hoping they didn't try to sneak anything in without my knowledge. 

Thnx for any help or answers to this.

• Admin
37 minutes ago, aggrophobik said:

does using the built in updater add the CCleaner browser by default

Short answer: no.  While we feel that the ad blocking, anti-fingerprinting, memory-saving and battery saving features of the CCleaner Browser are extremely useful, surprising all of our users with an unexpected download would not be the best way to get them to try it.  Wouldn't be great for our download server traffic bill either 😉 

Under the Privacy section of Health Check, after a scan you may see a suggestion to try CCleaner Browser, eg:

image.png

And after you update CCleaner it may also suggest itself:

image.png

Aside from that you can download it from the CCleaner website from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/browser

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Hi, newbie here...not sure where or how-best to post my query so since it relates to the CCleaner Update Feature topic involved here I just dive in.  Hope the water's crystal clear and refreshing so things might go swimmingly, haha!  First, I love CCleaner and have used it for years after a few geek-tech buddies of mine recommended!

One problem I hope to resolve/better understand is how/why I am prompted to act as a new version is available and asked if I want to do so now or later...and when I go ahead ad attempt to update I am then met with requirements to enter license numbers and such...which I understand are certainly necessary for versions beyond the free CCleaner but not for the free version.  With this being the case, and only occasionally...most times I simply proceed with the download of the newest update with no problems...this sure seems more like an "Upgrade" as opposed to an "Update"...surely we agree, yes?

So my question is, why am I occasionally prompted to download a new update that is actually an upgrade...and what can be done to avoid these occurrences?  Thank you!

• Admin

@Gregarious Greg: If you were simply updating a free version of CCleaner from an older version to a newer version then no licence key should be required.  You update and continue merrily on your way.

Can I confirm the version number of CCleaner you were using prior to updating? Did you go from 5.76 to 5.77, or from an earlier version?

Also, were you on CCleaner Professional before, a CCleaner trial or CCleaner Free?  Did you take the update from inside the product, or did you go to the website to download the updated version?

If you are on CCleaner Free, ie:

image.png

... what is in your C:\Program Files\CCleaner directory?  It should look something like this?  Specifically, with no branding.dll or ccleaner.dat files in there:

image.png

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Gregarious Greg said:

this sure seems more like an "Upgrade" as opposed to an "Update"

Depending on the path you use to update, you may be asked along the way if you wish to upgrade to CCleaner Professional, eg:

image.png

If you wish simply to update then you can nope your way through that screen and continue.

Hey thanks Dave!  Ok...so you understand that I am not able to simply update and go on my merry way...this prompt to update appeared on my screen as soon as I logged on today.  New CCleaner Update is available...Update now...or...Remind me Later options.  A pop-up appears when I try to update.  It tells me a new version is available, current version is v5.76.8269; new version v5.77.8448...and when I click on update now...new pop-up informs that CCleaner could not be updated...then offers choices to Purchase, Register or Cancel...no actual update option without directing me to screens requiring input of license number (which I do not have as a free CCleaner user of course)...so I hope this clarifies my situation a bit better...I'm being prompted automatically to respond to a new CCleaner update available...that somehow does not end up being available per the description provided above.  Thanks again!

You asked about my C:\ProgramFiles\CCleaner directory:  which I've tried to copy/paste several times in different ways with no success.

What I find there are 2 folders up top for Lang and Setup followed by 4 application files CCleaner, CCleaner64, CCupdate and uninstall similar to what you depicted without the ".exe" file type extensions on the application files.

Was not asked along the way if I wished to upgrade...merely automatically navigated to the screens depicted above with no choice to continue with update...unable to update.  Perhaps there is some bug imbedded with the say the CCleanerupdate interacts with my computer...and perhaps I should simply log onto piriform.com and directly access the most recent version to download and install?  I await your reply for any further suggestions or explanations...thanks again!

• Moderators

@Gregarious Greg

What you describe with the Purchase,/Register/Cancell screen is what you see if you you click on 'Upgrade to Pro' from the Options>About screen.
(You also see it if you have used the Pro installer download when not already registered).
Are you saying that you are seeing it when clicking from somewhere else?

To your install problem:

new pop-up informs that CCleaner could not be updated.

That would seem to be the key to why you are having a problem.
It indicates that there was a problem with the internet download, or that something on your computer is blocking the installation.

To find out which it is then follow Andavari's suggestion and download the installer from the 'builds' page he links.
I suggest downloading the 'Slim' installer. It's the same CCleaner just a different installer.

If that downloads OK then double click on 'CCsetup577', or 'CCsetup577_slim' if using the slim, to install CCleaner free.
If it downloads but won't then install that indicates that something is blocking the install and we can sort out what that is.

In your next post could you tell us what Windows version you have (if it's Win 10 then which version of Win 10) and what antivirus you are using.

PS. The reason you are not seeing the '.exe' on the files is simply because you have the View settings in File Explorer set to not show any file extensions.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043