SSD Full on very new machine

Deekay57

Hello

Anyone know why the C: SSD 120gb drive on my Dell inspiron 3000 is full and I can find no large files that would fill it. I moved one drive files to the 1tb D drive that had 41GB size but that only reduced the SSD total by 3.5GB and it quickly  filled up again in one day 

can CCcleaner deal with this  - is there anything I can do to increase space in the SSD drive

• Moderators

Difficult to say really. I would disconnect from the internet to see if that stabilises things. A CC Analyze will tell you what temp files can be deleted, and if these temp files are huge then before you delete then look at which component holds the huge files, Then post back here.

We are assuming that TRIM is enabled in both the Op Sys and the device? An easy way to check is to run Recuva normal scan on the SSD. If you can see lots of pics and data etc on the deleted files then TRIM is off. If the vast majority of the deleted files are blank/zeroes, then TRIM is on.

1 hour ago, Augeas said:

Difficult to say really. I would disconnect from the internet to see if that stabilises things. A CC Analyze will tell you what temp files can be deleted, and if these temp files are huge then before you delete then look at which component holds the huge files, Then post back here.

We are assuming that TRIM is enabled in both the Op Sys and the device? An easy way to check is to run Recuva normal scan on the SSD. If you can see lots of pics and data etc on the deleted files then TRIM is off. If the vast majority of the deleted files are blank/zeroes, then TRIM is on.

Thanks Augeas - What's TRIM is it a windows app or part of CC Cleaner? I did use CC analyze to look at and delete temp files but they only amounted to a few hundred mb 

• Moderators

TRIM is a process which is enabled by default in both the Op Sys and the SSD itself. It doesn't actually affect the disk space parameters, as that is (probably, possibly?) deduced from the cluster bitmap, and will be the same whether TRIM is enabled or not. Something must be using your space so try Hazlenut's suggestions.

I assume you are right clicking the drive in Explorer and selecting Properties to get the space usage figures?

2 hours ago, Augeas said:

TRIM is a process which is enabled by default in both the Op Sys and the SSD itself. It doesn't actually affect the disk space parameters, as that is (probably, possibly?) deduced from the cluster bitmap, and will be the same whether TRIM is enabled or not. Something must be using your space so try Hazlenut's suggestions.

I assume you are right clicking the drive in Explorer and selecting Properties to get the space usage figures?

yes thanks Augeas I am right clicking explorer, selecting properties etc 

• Moderators

Please do try one of the softwares I sugguested to see what is eating your space.

Is One drive putting files back on C? Some people do have issues wwith the sync

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/onedrive-for-business/onedrive-taking-up-space-on-c-drive/m-p/333024

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Ok Hazelnut, I had a look at the C drive (SSD) using Treesize, obviously Windows OS occuopies 23gb - but the main cuprit that you cant see thru explorer is the System Volume info and then theres the Programme data. Strangely, after running Treebite to view the drive content the available space is now 16gb?? Previously the Storage Sense (system restore) was set to 99% so I reduced it to 25% perhaps that made a difference 

anyway you can see the snip of the C drive contents and if it stays at 16gb free then I'll be happy 

Cheers

SSD contents.PNG

13 minutes ago, hazelnut said:

Please do try one of the softwares I sugguested to see what is eating your space.

Is One drive putting files back on C? Some people do have issues wwith the sync

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/onedrive-for-business/onedrive-taking-up-space-on-c-drive/m-p/333024

I think that might be happening but I dont know how to varify that - I'll look on the link you supplied - thanks

6 hours ago, Augeas said:

Hi Augeas - yes I had a C SSD scan with recuvva and its plain that after moving One Drive to D HDD all the old One drive file are still duplicated in the SSD drive - there are thousands of files from a few kb thru to 50mb and up to 1.4gb - I dont know how to get rid of those because they dont show up in file explorer

• Moderators

If Recuva shows a list of deleted files that's OK, these are the entries in the Master File Table flagged as deleted. They can't be removed, but will be reused by Windows as and when new files are allocated. The important thing is can you see the deleted data (which will be mostly pics)? If so then TRIM isn't enabled. With an SSD you should not be able to see the data, just zeroes. But as I said this won't affect the free/used space.

Regarding your large files, do you have System Restore switched on? (CC will tell you if you have or not.) The default for Win 10 is off, so that may remove the 15 gb of Sys Vol Info (I don't have such a file). Presumably Mr Gates doesn't think Sys Restore is required any more, and I don't miss it. You might want to consider this, you don't have a lot of free space. I also have a 120 gb SSD C volume by the way, and use 37 gb.

• Moderators

You could also try Explorer, right click drive, select Disk Cleanup, Cleanup System Files. Windows Update Cleanup will be first on the list, and if you check that and run Cleanup you should save several gbs.

• Moderators
On 06/02/2021 at 11:53, Deekay57 said:

if it stays at 16gb free then I'll be happy

Plain and simple 16GB of free available space just isn't enough!

7 hours ago, Augeas said:

Windows Update Cleanup will be first on the list, and if you check that and run Cleanup you should save several gbs.

That alone will free many GBs if it's never been cleared out - it's very annoying that it can't be completely disabled from filling up. The built in Windows Disk Cleanup will have to be ran after every Windows updates patch Tuesday to regain space from there.

A 120GB-128GB SSD doesn't really cut it anymore, definitely not with Windows 10, it's too small and doesn't give anywhere near enough space. At least a 240GB-256GB SSD boot drive should be the minimum sized used nowadays. I suppose in a few years the minimum recommendation will bloat into being at least 480GB-512GB.

9 hours ago, Augeas said:

You could also try Explorer, right click drive, select Disk Cleanup, Cleanup System Files. Windows Update Cleanup will be first on the list, and if you check that and run Cleanup you should save several gbs.

Thanks Augeas, Andavari advised the same 

23 hours ago, binaryman said:

Using the MS-Explorer, select the drive, right-click properties
Select tab: Tools
Select: Error checking

and

Run Directory Report as administrator
It will show you where all your space is going

Will do that - some great help here 🙏

3 hours ago, hazelnut said:

So as I’ve put One Drive on D HDD do you think that windows still writes to the SSD first before transferring to D drive and leaves like shadow files (my term) that fill the SSD anyway?

14 hours ago, Andavari said:

Plain and simple 16GB of free available space just isn't enough!

That alone will free many GBs if it's never been cleared out - it's very annoying that it can't be completely disabled from filling up. The built in Windows Disk Cleanup will have to be ran after every Windows updates patch Tuesday to regain space from there.

A 120GB-128GB SSD doesn't really cut it anymore, definitely not with Windows 10, it's too small and doesn't give anywhere near enough space. At least a 240GB-256GB SSD boot drive should be the minimum sized used nowadays. I suppose in a few years the minimum recommendation will bloat into being at least 480GB-512GB.

Weirdly I switched the machine on this morning after being shutdown since Saturday and straightaway there’s only 12gb free???

• Moderators

There's probably a resident program (or maybe a Windows Update since they pre-load some of them) that's doing that which may not necessarily be considered "junk" for programs like CCleaner to delete.

Since you're so low on space you may need to run some program that monitors everything being saved onto the system - sorry I don't have any recommendations for such a program.

Other than that try storing any "space hog" media files like music and videos on the 1TB hard disk since those generally never need to be on fast access storage like an SSD.

3 hours ago, Andavari said:

There's probably a resident program (or maybe a Windows Update since they pre-load some of them) that's doing that which may not necessarily be considered "junk" for programs like CCleaner to delete.

Since you're so low on space you may need to run some program that monitors everything being saved onto the system - sorry I don't have any recommendations for such a program.

Other than that try storing any "space hog" media files like music and videos on the 1TB hard disk since those generally never need to be on fast access storage like an SSD.

Thanks Andavari - since doing the things advised on this forum I now have 32 gb free - there 30gb hidden in apps somewhere as the app file reports 32gb size but manually adding up all the individual apps doesnt come to much more than 1gb