Best Firewall/Anit-Virus program

Sonu

Right now I'm using McAfee Security Centre, and it's good and all, but I think it takes up too much resources.

So, is there a better firewall and anti-virus program out there that I can use which will not take as much resources?

Thanks.

(If there's another topic about this, I'm sorry. Didn't really want to dig...)

Search up Avast! Anti-Virus and Zonealarm Firewall on Google :)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Right now I'm using McAfee Security Centre, and it's good and all, but I think it takes up too much resources.

So, is there a better firewall and anti-virus program out there that I can use which will not take as much resources?

Thanks.

(If there's another topic about this, I'm sorry. Didn't really want to dig...)

Try Comodo Free Firewall www.comodo.com. It has a lot of features that others free firewalls don't have. There's a review at Cnet or Pcmag, I don't remember very well. For a free antivirus try free Avira Antivir.

Avast!, Avira, NOD32, AVG are antivirus software that I have heard good of. Kaspersky used be good too, but I dont know if thats the case anymore, probably not. Norton is the worst, Panda sucks too.

For firewalls, ZonaAlarm seems be a popular choice. I think that most Windows firewalls are toys though.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

For antivirus get eTrust EZ Antivirus fully functional free 1 year trial, you won't regret it, and couple it with Ewido Anti-Spyware, and SpywareBlaster and you shouldn't have to deal with too many infections. Other than that I like AVG (free), and Avira AntiVir (free).

For a firewall Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall is good too, however if it has to be ZoneAlarm I won't touch anything newer than v5.5.0.94.

Filehippo.com has a collection of antispyware, antivirus and firewall downloads.

• Moderators

but why not anything after v5.5.0.94 for Zone Alarm?

Because ZoneAlarm is known to be buggy, and/or have installation issues (actually even v5.5 has issues) on some systems. The real problem it has is if/when it only partially installs and if it does trying to remove it's partially installed files is difficult as they become locked/protected. The problems during install that it has is the sole reason why I'll only install it in safe mode, and only uninstall it in safe mode.

• Moderators

Some good advice in this thread. Only a few things I would add is:

Remember not to go over board with real time protection. The more programs that you have running the more ram your pc will be using.

For real time protection I would recommend MS Defender, a firewall, and Etrust. Other than that if you just keep spyware blaster updated you should be pretty secure.

MS defender

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

how to keep a clean pc(yeah I know I have been slacking at getting this finished :P )

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=5011

In addition another program that Im beginning to like that dosent require to be running all the time is IE spyad. It adds a lot of sites to IE's restricted list.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm

• Moderators

Well, I'm going with:

EZ anti-virus, and

Zone Alarm (v5.5.0.94)

Hopefully this will use less ram than McAfee Security Suite.

Thanks a lot, guys.

...also if you want to go the extreme route of active protection download and install HostsMan and then chugg through it's various menus to download and install the hpHOSTS HOSTS File (link provided if you wish to install it without HostsMan), and MVPS HOSTS File (link provided if you wish to install it without HostsMan).

With the hpHOSTS and MVPS HOST files installed they will block tons upon tons of ad's and some known spyware/virus/malware websites that could infect your system. Note: If a site you like is blocked such as Softpedia.com (which hpHOSTS blocks) you'll have to manually remove it from the HOSTS file and reboot.

1st ofcourse i think u need to read this wonderful artical about using freeware security software for home users:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-vs-paid-av.htm

about me , i like to use Antivir Classic 7 , it's freeware and simply have the best detection rate among the freeware anti-virus and also have good detection for some kind of spyware , and that ofcourse make u bot using alot of security programs that simply eat most of ur system ability.and updates every some hours

http://www.free-av.com/antivirclassic/prog...schreibung.html

i like to use the "scanner" of ewido anti-spyware , spybot , and ofcourse ad-awre and that all for detection of other malware like spyware and ad-ware that antivirus programs don't do so good work against it.

If u realy want to use a real time protection against spyware and ad-ware , u can use one of this wonderful real-time protection products , and ofcourse freeware :

1-SpywareTerminator " gr8 and light protection" http://www.spywareterminator.com/

2-spycatcher-express freeware " best freeware real-time protection -cnet tests " kinda takes alot of resource

http://www.tenebril.com/consumer/spyware/s...ss-download.php

3-spyware docotor 3.8 " limted edtion , realtime protection but no scanner " www.pctools.com

4-the build-in spybot real-time protection " not based on detection filles , just system watchdog"

5- spyware guard " for exe and cab files detection "

6-Arovaxshield " not detection rules based "

7- the poor WindowsDefender for users how want peace of mind " still beta and have serious bugs "

there's a new company that tries to provide a gr8 products for free , it's Comodo , it offer good beta anti-virus " looks so like norton and i think soon this product will be great" , firewall " version 2 is here"

antispam , and alot of internet security stuff http://www.comodogroup.com/products/free_products.html

i like the build-in firewall in windows xp , i don't need that all firewall stuff I'm not a bank <_<

but the users like to use ZoneAlarm , easiest firewall and provide best technology

also , there's kerio personal " hard to use and understand even for good users"

the good comodo firewall , ' we still see some bugs , but it's so cool , u'll like it "

i see that the most important thing is to change that internet exploroer , it's just the 1st source of malware in your system , u should use Firefox , or the cool Opera , and that will almost block most of malware doors in yours system

anyway , hope u all enjoy a clean windows ;)

• Moderators

there's kerio personal " hard to use and understand even for good users"

I don't find it difficult. If you understand ports and protocols even the most confusing firewall should be easy enough to configure. It's just when some developer comes about and uses fraises that don't coincide with what I'd call a standard when things get difficult to understand, especially if the included help file doesn't explain exactly what certain things mean. That's unfortunately a drawback of many software titles that include a help file that doesn't even explain the functions of the application very well.

I personally prefer Windows Firewall myself as it seems to have less bugs and problems when compared to any third-party software-based firewall I've used, albeit I know it doesn't block outgoing connections and has a piss poor logging feature.

Kaspersky used be good too, but I dont know if thats the case anymore, probably not.

Kaspersky is currently among the very best you can get, detection wise. That includes trojans and spyware, areas where some other AVs are often less than fully competent...

Personally, I use a Nod32 AV + BOclean AT. (+ LooknStop firewall + Ghost Security Suite for kernel level Application and Registry protection)

Everything works together just fine, and I'm extremely happy with the combination.

That said, everyone is sure to have his or her pet program, so these are just my 2 cts... ;)

• Moderators

Well I happend to run across this site they seem to have about everything you need for free from antivirus to Firewall to a spam program I dont really have a clue about this company or products might be worth a look though if you need any ofthese programs.

http://www.comodogroup.com/products/free_products.html

Thats an interesting link.

I have never heard of that company but I might just have to try some of their programs(i probably wouldnt trust the AV but a free full featured firewall sounds nice).

• Moderators

Thats an interesting link.

I have never heard of that company but I might just have to try some of their programs(i probably wouldnt trust the AV but a free full featured firewall sounds nice).

Their website is blocked for some reason or another by the hpHOSTS HOSTS File.

Comodo was tested by the folks responsible for this reputable AV testing website, and its detection was decidely poor:

Results of ComodoAV:

OtherOS .......................9%

othermalware................19%

script...........................8%

worms.........................35%

windows......................34%

macro.........................12%

backdoors....................25%

trojans........................26%

dos.............................29%

TOTAL.........................27%

TOTAL without DOS.......24%

NOTE: Comodo test results are in fact not included into these online test resuilts; I have this information "straight from the horses's mouth" in a private AV/AT forum post.

No definitive proof of it being a rogue product, although I did come across this article: http://www.emailbattles.com/archive/battle..._aadgdfdddh_ah/

Whatever the case, quality wise it is not (yet) a viable option.

• Moderators

it also blocks softpedia

I had emailed the maintainer of it about 1 or 2 months ago, and was given a link to their forums (don't remember the exact page) which basically didn't tell me jack s**t and I wasn't going to take the time to investigate the reasons why. About the only useful info I got from the email was something about adware.

However, I happen to like Softpedia.com for their 100% reward, and removed it from my local HOSTS file. Also I've never gotten any infection (adware, etc.,) downloading software from Softpedia.com for over the past year which is why I wish some explainations were in the hpHOSTS File like the comments next to an entry which MVPS.org add's into their HOSTS file. It is however an easy fix to use a text editors search funtion to find our favourite sites and remove them from being blocked.

• 2 weeks later...

B)

Avast!, Avira, NOD32, AVG are antivirus software that I have heard good of. Kaspersky used be good too, but I dont know if thats the case anymore, probably not. Norton is the worst, Panda sucks too.

For firewalls, ZonaAlarm seems be a popular choice. I think that most Windows firewalls are toys though.

B) Avast! ....Norton was send to Mars...Kaspersky,no,no,Panda what a nag....and intolerant ,quite like Avira but for newbies and free....Avast....by a mile....Zone Alarm,and a few free anti spy ware prog....had Norton for a year, what a joke :lol: Zone Alarm and Avast have been working quite well,side by side(some problems have been reported ,so far so good)....