CCleaner TOO thorough?

BigJohnD

I have recently been very frustrated with Word 2003, because I have not be able to retain my peronsalised settings for Word 2003's Normal.dot. These are minor settings like the text boundary, seeing the tab and paragraph marks and my address. Not critical, but very annoying having to set them every time I used Word.

After much searching of the 'net without success, and by now running out of ideas and blaming MS, I disabled CCleaner's "Run when the computer starts". Problem solved!

I'm now trying to work out which setting of CCleaner is reponsible for deleting this part of Word or Office.

Any suggestions?

Could it be related to applications tab - Office 2003 and the last line in the winapp file?

You can copy and save that line to notepad then delete it from winapp.If not the prob you can allways copy it back.

[Office 2003]

LangSecRef=3021

Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common

Default=True

FileKey1=%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*

RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Recent Files

RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Open Find\Microsoft Office Word\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU

Regkey3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\PowerPoint\Recent File List

Regkey4=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Publisher\Recent File List

Regkey5=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\InfoPath\Recent File List

RegKey6=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet\Server Cache

RegKey7=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet|UseRWHlinkNavigation

RegKey8=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSPaper 11.0\Persist File Name

RegKey9=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSPaper 11.0\Recent File List

RegKey10=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data|Settings

• Moderators

It is exactly that bold RegKey10 in Humpty's post, and I wish it would be removed as there has been enough complaints about it for the past year or more. It's too frustrating to re-config Word exactly how one wants it, and people will constantly unknowingly allow CCleaner to clean Office 2003 only to discover their Word settings have gone kaput. Warning: CCleaner isn't the only cleaning program guilty of removing Word settings!

To clean Office 2003 without removing the Word settings manually edit winapp.ini located in the CCleaner program files folder and remove the whole line that is RegKey10, or just comment it out so that it looks like this:

; RegKey10=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data|Settings

Note: You'll of course have to remember to either remove RegKey10 or comment it out with each and every CCleaner update because winapp.ini will be updated and replaced with a new CCleaner version.

Thank you, Andavari and Humpty, I shall investigate winapp.

It would also explain why the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\ was void when I examined it while searching for the reasons my "options" were not being saved.

I'll get back?

Diolch yn fawr!

It is exactly that bold RegKey10 in Humpty's post, and I wish it would be removed as there has been enough complaints about it for the past year or more. It's too frustrating to re-config Word exactly how one wants it, and people will constantly unknowingly allow CCleaner to clean Office 2003 only to discover their Word settings have gone kaput. Warning: CCleaner isn't the only cleaning program guilty of removing Word settings!

Has anyone every reported this to MrG? I think it is very bad to lose your settings. (I have unchecked Office 2003, as I want to keep all my recent documents, so I never noticed the problem).

I can confirm that REMing out the line "RegKey10=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data|Settings" in WinApp.ini with a semi-colon has resolved my problem.

I agree with pwillener that "something should be done about it".

Many thanks/Diolch.

• Moderators

Well if something is going to be done it needs to cover all versions of MS Office that CCleaner cleans because it deletes Access settings in Office 97, and XP. And it deletes Word settings in Office XP, and 2003.

It has never made any sense to me why so many cleaning programs want to remove the settings.

Has anyone every reported this to MrG?

One with think that a few complaints about CCleaner removing/damaging any programs settings (not just Word) would've already been seen by him if he checks out the Bugs section of the forum. I'll PM him just in case.

• Admin

Hi all,

Unfortunately Word stores the MRU file lists along with the data settings for the program. Not ideal I know.

I removed the feature in an older version, but got so many complaints about it not cleaning the Word MRU list that I added it back in, with the known issue that it removes some settings as well.

If this is causing problems then its easy to remove by unchecking Office in the Applications tab.

:)

MrG