How to design a program

TheFiresInTheSky

say i have a little program that ive made, how would i make like an installation program for it? to add it to the registry boot up, start menu, desktop, and program files?

I think the simple option without using programming languages would be to use WinRar and create a SFX archive, then goto the Advanced tab and use the SFX Options and change the settings to where you want it to extract to and what files to create a shortcut with and run etc.., If you want to add it to the registry using WinRar then you will probably need to create a batch/reg file that runs and adds the keys and values you want so that it starts when the system reboots, If your making a program that is creating files and reg entries in different area's on the system then you need to consider providing an uninstaller so people can remove it easily which isnt that difficult as you just need to reverse the changes you made. Even if the program is well made its still risky unless you are in a position to test it on all versions of Windows, that wouldnt apply if your only making it available for the OS your testing on or if its only being used on your own pc.

Andy

If thats the case, you should hold off on making program's until your more familiar with the changes or test things on your own system, Its not something someone can tell you without knowing what the program is and why its being added to run on reboot and added to different area's rather than just started manually when its needed. The WinRar SFX is the simple option and doesnt require much experience to use but Im sure people who have programming skills wouldnt even consider using that. Im not a programmer so its an option I would consider if I was to make a program anytime.

I mentioned the batch file as you could write it to create a reg file then silently import that into the registry to make the changes but I dont think its wise for someone to recommend you make one without understanding it as it could damage your system and maybe other peoples if they use the file. It might be easier to send the file to a zipped folder and let people run it when they want rather than try to get it starting with Windows (I cannot think of any home made programs that add themselves to start with Windows as most things you can just run when you want then exit and most people wouldnt want something running every time they reboot,) Im sure you can find alot of information on batch and reg files by using search engines and alot of it will just be trial and error.

ive figured out the batch making and all im doing is pure experiments to see how this would work. just a little program that i made...no one else would use it. I JUST LIKE TO LEARN!

Thats cool, I hope it works out :)

It might be better to just add the file into your startup folder (C:\Documents and Settings\YourUsername\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) or using the SFX option to extract it to the startup folder than changing anything in the registry, If it needs to run for all users then extract it to the AllUsers startup folder.

All The Best

Andy

You said you didnt know how to make a batch file so I didnt think it would be helpful to recommend using programming languages or advanced methods to write installers, especially if its just to be used on your own system, Here's a few that I know of:

INNO SETUP

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

MINDVISION

http://www.mindvision.com/products.asp

INSTALL SHIELD

http://www.macrovision.com/products/flexne...eld/index.shtml

but that dont teach me how to make an installation package

roflmao :lol:

Start reading!

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

im workin on batch right now. just need some help on like if i want C:\documents and settings\USERNAME HERE\programs\startup

what do i put for the user name so it would install on other computers?

EDIT: Good Question Hazelnut, I missed that part in his reply . Removed examples incase its for malicious use.

You make an installer with NSIS.

* http://nsis.sourceforge.net/

NSIS is a free, open source, scriptable, light-weight and customizable installer. It has been used by Google, Yahoo!, ATI, NASA, Winamp, Intel, Sun Microsystems, etc.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

i am only using this on my computer for right now. i was just curious how to go to the startup folder if you didnt know their username...

Hi Aaron, the answer is %userprofile% or %allusersprofile% but If you need more help with things could you let us know what the program is and what its going to do when its run, Also what did you use to write the program? Im just being abit cautious with what I say after you said its only for your system and now its for other peoples, especially with you recently using keylogger programs so I wouldnt want to make it easier if thats what your trying to use/install on someones system.

im just experimenting like if my scans can catch the keylogger. i uploaded the program so you dont have to worry anymore.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WY7JD4D5

its made with HTML/JS

Hey Aaron , You've done a good job with that, So its not a keylogger after all :)

Ive included a zipped file with a screenshot and a text file that shows all the changes the setup.exe file makes.

One slight problem is a Windows Active Content warning when you press any of the numbers as shown in the screenshot in the attached file. Its probably just because of one of the Javascripts that are being used but I didnt check the code, Its fine if you allow it once then the numbers show on screen but it may worry some people who havent seen the warning before.

Nice work :)

thanks, how do you add attacked files onto your reply? and i was wondoring how to make a button that refreshes the page instead using JS.

If you click the Add Reply button at the bottom of the screen then below where you type the reply it shows File Attachments and you can browse to add the file then press add this attachment, Ive run out space with that as I have alot of attachments in different posts so I couldnt upload the image unless I put it in a zipped folder, I will use the My Controls option later and remove all my attachments from here so I have some space if I need to add more anytime.

Its probably because your using Javascript why it shows the warning, If its used on a website then it will be allowed but if you try to run it on the computer and not through IE then it will be blocked unless the person decides to allow it themselves, Im not sure how you would make a button without using JS as most programs that run on the machine are not html files as they are mostly only used on the Internet.

Have a look at Javascript websites :)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=javascript&meta=

The simple answer is make a button that just contains the page address then when its clicked the page will refresh