Antivirus advice needed

cazboy

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit SP1. It has AMD Athlon II X2 220 Processor, 16GB Ram, ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics. I ALWAYS keep the machine constantly updated.

My question is what to do about my antivirus software.

I have been running Kaspersky Internet Security AND Malwarebytes Premium simultaneously. It might be ridiculous to run both at once, but there it is.

My Kaskpersky is reporting that my 1-year subscription is going to expire in 7 days, so I'd like to know what you all would suggest. Can I get by with Malwarebytes Premium alone, by itself? Should I not run Kaspersky and Malwarebytes at the same time??

One mitigating factor is that this computer is basically a piece of crap, and barely worth keeping. So that makes me want to let my Kaspersky subscription lapse, and just replace it with one of the free anti-virus programs out there, like Avast! or one of the others.

Also, there is a strong possibility I will be replacing this Windows machine with a Mac of some sort. So, you can see my reluctance to sign up for another year of Kaspersky. My Malwarebytes subscription is forever, it never expires.

What would you do??

• Moderators

No problems,  just use one of the free AVs alongside Malwarebytes and you should be fine.

Malwarebytes is designed to run alongside any AV to give 'layered' protection.

If you havn't already then upgrade to MB3 for free, your perpetual licence is still valid.

MB3 has combined Anti Exploit & Anti Ransomware included.

Most people still run it alongside a traditional AV.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

No problems,  just use one of the free AVs alongside Malwarebytes and you should be fine.

Malwarebytes is designed to run alongside any AV to give 'layered' protection.

If you havn't already then upgrade to MB3 for free, your perpetual licence is still valid.

MB3 has combined Anti Exploit & Anti Ransomware included.

Most people still run it alongside a traditional AV.

Thanks so much for the quick response, Nukecad! I appreciate your advice. I didn't know that Malwarebytes was designed to run alongside other AV's.

And, yes.. my copy of Malwarebytes is upgraded to MB3. Thanks once again!

• Moderators

+1 with all that's been said.

I run MBAM Premium alongside Norton's Internet Security.

as stated, they say MBAM is "the ONLY protection you need", and advertise it as not just malware protection but also AV protection.

I'm not quite onboard with that just yet!

also not quite onboard with Windows inbuilt AV which will be turned on automatically when you remove Kaspersky and don't install one of the free ones.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Malwarebytes 2 is now classed as 'end of life'  from yesterday.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/lifecycle/

If you decide to move to MBAM3 uninstall version 2 first, reboot, and then install version 3.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Malwarebytes 2 is now classed as 'end of life'  from yesterday.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/lifecycle/

If you decide to move to MBAM3 uninstall version 2 first, reboot, and then install version 3.

That's very interesting to know - yesterday evening, I found out exactly why MBAM advises an uninstall of version 2 prior to installation of version 3!

Not being aware of MBAM's favored protocol, I simply downloaded the newest version while version 2 was still on my computer. The end result was a small popup that reads "Cannot access the program".... or something like that. I was unable to launch MBAM at all. But it was late, so I just decided to go to bed. Well, just a few moments ago, after my morning ritual which involves beginning the day's computer boot up and fetching a cup of coffee, I uninstalled MBAM entirely and then re-started the computer. Once it was fully started I went to MBAM's homepage and downloaded the current installation file - and voila! I'm back in business with Malwarebytes.

So yes, hazelnut, you are quite correct in pointing out that an uninstall (and subsequent re-boot) needs to be performed before a version 3 upgrade. But as this morning's experience shows, it's easily rectified if a user fails to follow the directions!

Thanks very much, hazelnut.

• Moderators

Hi hazelnut,

Someone elsewhere pulled me on this one the other day.

It's MBAM2, but MB3.

Yes a bit anal/pedantic, but I had to hold my hand up and admit he was correct.

Guess we just get used to using a certain abbreviation.

(Flat letting adverts still say 'no DDS' even though the DSS no longer exists, it was replaced by the DWP years ago).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

A mere technicality, everyone will still call it MBAM :lol:

I said exactly the same.

But I've noticed that since then I've used MB3. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm completely new/ignorant to this forum and hope I could get some advice please? My old laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium had died. Just purchased a new one with Windows 10. I have CC Pro but my free Macafee is about to expire. I have NO clue as to what I may need regarding anti virus/spyware and reading through the recent topics has left me lost. Any help/advise would be very much appreciated, in fact I'll bake a cake ;-)

• Moderators

if you were happy with McAfee and are willing to pay for protection, renew it.

if you'd rather free AV software, consider Avast or Avira.

read up on comparisons here; https://www.av-comparatives.org/

• Moderators

Seeing as its Windows 10 you could just leave it using Windows Defender/ Windows Security Centre.

Some will say that is not enough on its own, others will say that it does everything you need.

Like anything else - someone who is selling you something will tell you that their product is 'better' than the default, and 'better' than other similar products.

That might not sound very helpful at first, but what I'm saying is that Windows 10 is well protected straight out of the box.

If you want to pay for some other protection then that is up to you.

(A bit like changing your car alarm for a more expensive one, in the end is it going to do a better job?).

The only time in the last 2 years that one of my computers had been "attacked" (a drive by download, if that means anything to you) Windows Defender spotted it and stopped it in it's tracks.

• Moderators

Some will say that is not enough on its own, others will say that it does everything you need.

My Norton's expires in 81 days and I won't be renewing it based on that AV Comparatives website real-word tests.

Time to bite the bullet and give Defender a go.

I'm a long, long time naysayer of MS inbuilt protection over the years - for good reason - it always had the lowest test scores.

But it seems, with Win10, those days have past and Defender is consistently scoring just as well as any other protection.

So the plan is, ditch NIS and have Defender do it's thing.

I'll still be running MBAM3 Pro, SpywareBlaster, MVPS Hosts file, uBlock Origin as a layered security approach.  (geez, I don't trust MS that much! :) )

• Moderators

Don't forget to check your MBAM action center settings mta before you change, just in case your Norton uninstall changes anything.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1149

Win Defender plus Smart Screen filter is an extremely strong form of protection now.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

will do, thanks hazel.

We should probably be careful now of recommending anti-virus/anti-malware stuff to users. Now that Avast owns Piriform, they might not like it that you are recommending competitors.

So to be on the safe side, Avast is a very nice anti-virus and I recommend using that, haha.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

• Moderators

mta,

I agree with all that you said there.

I do get a bit frustrated when I keep seeing posts that Windows Defender is 'no good' - based on tests from years ago on XP when Defender was anti-spyware only and so a totally different animal.

I guess that's MS's oversight for not changing the name when the made it a full AV with Win 8 & 8.1, and vastly improved it with Win 10.

As hazelnut says make sure that your MB3 does not turn off Defender in the action centre.

It shouldn't do if you are up to date with MB3, but earlier versions could do just that.

It's as well to check.

For anyone who still doubts that Windows Defender is an effective AV, just take a look online at how worried Kaspersky are getting about it taking their market share.

If they are so sure that their AV is "vastly superior" to Defender then why are they getting so worried and filing lawsuits against MS?

I'm sure that Avast  also have their concerns, which as I've said in another thread may explain why they are branching out and have bought/merged with Piriform.

In the end if your AV/AM product for Windows is seen as better than the standard Microsoft offering then it will sell well.

For instance Malwarebytes3, although not a traditional AV, is still selling strongly to be used alongside Windows Defender.

We should probably be careful now of recommending anti-virus/anti-malware stuff to users. Now that Avast owns Piriform, they might not like it that you are recommending competitors.

So to be on the safe side, Avast is a very nice anti-virus and I recommend using that, haha.

Fwiw, I believe Avast is quite good.  :)

I use an older version on xp, and don't let the one on win 7 update the program (new versions have some extra stuff I don't want) but I have always found Avast to be a good AV. 

But I doubt the time will come when members are constrained from making their best recommendation.  Sure hope not.   

edit 18 August 17:  Ahhh, well, I must have awakened the jinx.  Avast update mechanism has gummed up completely.  Been a while, no fix in sight yet. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

But I doubt the time will come when members are constrained from making their best recommendation.  Sure hope not.   

here! here!