Avast SafeZone Browser

craigathus

Just wondering how many have tried and or are using this browser?

I have been a fire fox user for years... but now I'm giving Avast SafeZone Browser a tryout. 

• Moderators

Probably not too much different than other AV vendors supplying their own build of a browser. I know 360 Total Security does it, as does Avira, and Comodo. Although I think Comodo was one of the first.

• Moderators

What browser is it built off of. From what I saw on their website it says its specifically built into avast  so you cannot use it without installing their AV. (which I haven't used in a long time)

I don't really have any opinions on the practice of this other than the fact that they are probably making money off your search data/ads/ect. Which if your privacy focused may be an issue but your probably not any more at risk than having google making money off you instead with chrome. The benefits are that it probably scans your file downloads/websites visited with whatever hooks it has into the browser. 

• Moderators

Avastim (Avast safezone browser) is a fork of Chromium.

Runs browser in a Sandbox.

Not something I'd personally want to use as it see it as more bloat and interference, but others may not see it that way.

Seems to be the latest 'thing' by av companies to do this. Here is another one.. Avira Scout this time, also using Chromium code.

http://www.avira.com/en/press-details/nid/1148/news/avira-scout-the-browser-providing-free-access-to-greater-online-security-and-privacy

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Safezone installed itself here on xp as part of an Avast program update. 

Tried it briefly, uninstalled it, just the browser. Didn't need it. 

Personally I had privacy concerns.  Don't remember how it affected performance, probably not much. 

Since that I have set Avast to update just the definitions, not the program.  This is xp after all.  :P

Some comments on the Avast forum.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=184576.15

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I'm surprised the Avast browser even works in XP, and it must be rather old or they've enabled something to allow it to function because Chrome/Chromium stopped XP support with v50 I think.

Edit:

Anyone concerned about privacy ought to think again about installing Avast or AVG, and go with something different.

Edited by Andavari

Yes it installed with my avast program update so I thought what the heck I'll give it a go.

It does block a lot of ads and it's quick, simple and straight ford to use on my old vista machine.

As for privacy... well I told it to use google search and well... I got nothin to hide  B)

I'm surprised the Avast browser even works in XP, and it must be rather old or they've enabled something to allow it to function because Chrome/Chromium stopped XP support with v50 I think.

Edit:

Anyone concerned about privacy ought to think again about installing Avast or AVG, and go with something different.

All I remember for sure that it did was to open a home page with links to ebay, facebook, and some others. I don't use those.  Don't even remember if I used it to visit any sites.  Set about uninstalling it immediately.  Your comment about privacy is right on the money.  Thanks.  Still, i guess i'll stick with avast for at least a while longer. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.