duplicate files

alab

• Moderators

in theory, you find all the duplicate files, work out which one to keep, and blow away the rest.

in practise, it isn't that straight-forward.

only you can decide which files are the ones to remove based on some criteria: age, size, content, location, CRC etc.

the dup files should fall into two categories; system or personal files.

if personal, only you know which is which.

if system, usually wise to just leave them alone.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 weeks later...

To be more precise about duplicate files. I ran the duplicate files feature. My question is about program files. I am certain about any of my own files and know what to do.

However, looking at some of the program files, it is not always clear to me when an executibe file is shown in two places or in same place. For instance, I see my touchpad system file in two places, with of course the same size file, same name etc., but are they there by design when the update date is the same or is it a true duplicate that I should determine which one to remove? The instructions are a bit vague as is the first answer here (no offense intended).

I purchased my Dell with Windows 8, free upgrade to 8.1 some time later, then free upgrade to 10, then purchased 10pro. At some point in the beginning I went back from 8.1 to 8 due to overwhelming issues, but it was never completely okay after that.` Useable, but with some issues. I have some issues now with freezing Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge. I don't know if some of these duplicate issues have something to do with that or my frequently unresponsive touchpad could just be part of the freezing though).

Sorry about the long winded questions. I intend to get some help from Dell Support before I do anything drastic, but thought I would ask if these duplicate executables absolutely wrong or if its normal???

I will still get Dell Help, but would like to know any opinions or knowledge you can share on this subject.

Thanks!

Gbhappy

• Moderators

Do not remove them if you don't know about them especially program files

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I intend to get some help from Dell Support before I do anything drastic, but thought I would ask if these duplicate executables absolutely wrong or if its normal???

I will still get Dell Help, but would like to know any opinions or knowledge you can share on this subject.

Dell isn't really known for troubleshooting (I know because I've bought 3 computers from them over the years), and if it's Windows related issues they will likely tell you to restore the original operating system, thus starting over completely fresh. Although with the problems you've mentioned I don't know if troubleshooting would work with all the OS upgrades, and then the OS downgrade.

Perhaps doing a clean install of Win10 would work out better - that is if time permits and if you've properly prepared by making sure you have the Win10 installer ready to go, and have made backups of important files, etc.

• Moderators

it's not unknown for Windows to store things in two locations, for instance \cache and \drivers

and with the later Windows versions, you start having things like Prefetch, Restore Points, Offline files.

in other words, duplicate system files are quiet common and best left well alone.

they may look like duplicates to you and I but Microsoft (for reasons best left to them) have deemed it necessary to do what they have, despite you liking or agreeing with that theory.

as to your many Windows upgrades, downgrades and freezing, I would agree with the current responses - time to dig deep and start from scratch.

it's the only way to know for sure that no history of events will cause future issues.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.