advanced file deletion

trish54

can someone please tell me what is necessary or helpful to delete in advanced? I have ran all others but not sure what the files are in advanced. Should I check all in advanced?Is there anyway to delete the wrong thing that will be needed to run my computer. thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Trish

can someone please tell me what is necessary or helpful to delete in advanced? I have ran all others but not sure what the files are in advanced. Should I check all in advanced?Is there anyway to delete the wrong thing that will be needed to run my computer. thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Trish

The only item under Advanced that you should not check is 'Hotfix Uninstallers', because currently it is buggy, and doesn't delete the right things. It will be fixed in the next version, but if you are using version 1.27.260 or earlier, leave it unchecked.

Otherwise, everything else can be checked without harming your computer, although you should only check the items that you are certain you want cleaned.

For example, if you check 'User Assist History', your most recent applications list (left-hand side of the Start menu) will be cleared out. This doesn't hurt anything, but if you use those shortcuts, it may be a nuisance to you, so you can leave it unchecked if you want those shortcuts to stay.

If you want to know what each box does, simply check it and you will be given a warning about what it cleans. Read the warnings carefully and decide if you really want CCleaner cleaning that item or not.

Let me know if this helps, or if you need to know anything else. Welcome to the forum! :)

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

The only item under Advanced that you should not check is 'Hotfix Uninstallers', because currently it is buggy, and doesn't delete the right things. It will be fixed in the next version, but if you are using version 1.27.260 or earlier, leave it unchecked.

Otherwise, everything else can be checked without harming your computer, although you should only check the items that you are certain you want cleaned.

For example, if you check 'User Assist History', your most recent applications list (left-hand side of the Start menu) will be cleared out. This doesn't hurt anything, but if you use those shortcuts, it may be a nuisance to you, so you can leave it unchecked if you want those shortcuts to stay.

If you want to know what each box does, simply check it and you will be given a warning about what it cleans. Read the warnings carefully and decide if you really want CCleaner cleaning that item or not.

Let me know if this helps, or if you need to know anything else. Welcome to the forum! :)

thank you, thank you, it helped tremendously!

thank you, thank you, it helped tremendously!

Not a problem. Glad to help! :D

ding, ding!

• 2 weeks later...

Not a problem. Glad to help! :D

I checked the Hotfix Uninstallers and was amazed at the space it restored but then read your warning :(

Pc still running ok so I guess no harm was done....I did it on about 4 other puters all were fine but one bluescreen (and I am not sure if ccleaner caused the blue screen on this pc) So I rebooted that pc and done it again ....no problem

Why after the hotfix is installed is this (what is being cleaned) remaining on the system any way? I have no idea but there must be a reason hence your warning? I always thought it was like any patch or program once its installed you can delete the installer?

I really dont know .....is it something to do with system restore or last known good config?

Sorry if this has been answered allready

thanks for any info

Cheers

Sorry if this has been answered allready

thanks for any info

Cheers

This should answer your questions:

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?s=&sho...indpost&p=31374

Also, if you download the newest CCleaner version (1.28) the Hotfix Uninstaller feature is fixed! So, download that, and you won't have to worry any longer about checking/unchecking certain boxes.

ding, ding!

• Moderators

How do I add an avater :o ? where is the link to my preferances?

Go to the very top of the page and click "My Controls". Inside of My Controls look on the bottom left and click "Edit Avatar Settings."

Thanks for your help ...My Original post was for deletin hotfix installers..I got all the info to explain this to me thnx:)

thnx Andavari

got it sorted :D

I love the cc program ...you guys rock......

Thanks for your help ...My Original post was for deletin hotfix installers..I got all the info to explain this to me thnx:)

thnx Andavari

got it sorted :D

I love the cc program ...you guys rock......

I like the way Tool delete's my posts without any user input :o

Have you got something to hide Tool? : not you Andavari your a god send

Cheers :)

Hi Lost1,

Only MrG, and the Moderators can delete posts. And yes there is a hide tool.

My Controls

Options

Manage Ignored Users

Add new users to your list

Hope that helps. :)

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi Lost1,

Only MrG, and the Moderators can delete posts. And yes there is a hide tool.

My Controls

Options

Manage Ignored Users

Add new users to your list

Hope that helps. :)

K

Ok sorry I dont mean to flame ..

had my opinion on virus scanners and was attacked so I reteliated

its obvious that I was wrong and was shot down in flames and you guys know your stuff so I should not of argued and posted that

It does work for me but I should not recomend it as you all pointed out

So any way

cheers :)

Don't dwell upon it Lost1, it will eventually be forgotten and forgiven by everyone envolved. I surely don't hold any grudges.

:)

Cool thanks Andavari ....can I ask a quick question..Ccleaner never asks you to close all browers nor does it close them any way...I like this feature was this done on purpose or as a request?..It reminds me when you do a windows update or an install and it reboots your puter without much warning and you were in the middle of somthing else...but is there a down side to this? like if you clean but have your puter on 24/7 and never reboot? well reboot but not often...I am not up to date about memory cleaning..and proccesors running in memory ..Does it actualy clean every thing or do I/Any one reading have to do a reboot to get the final results I cant see how it can be done otherwise If you do have to reboot any way I like it that it gives you the option to keep doing your thing until your ready

Cheers :)

• Moderators

CCleaner warns about open browsers because people where running the cleaner with Firefox open instead of closed, which of course created problems with their Firefox. It however doesn't seem to effect Opera in any way.

About rebooting, you have to reboot for it to delete Internet Explorers index.dat files, however that's the only browser that requires you to reboot in order to truely remove all it's garbage. A simple solution if you don't want to reboot often other than when you are required to after Windows Updates is to use a third-party browser that doesn't use any of IE's components such as Opera or Firefox.

CCleaner warns about open browsers because people where running the cleaner with Firefox open instead of closed, which of course created problems with their Firefox. It however doesn't seem to effect Opera in any way.

It doesnt seem to effect IE either but like you said the reboot is needed for the dat files.. I didnt know that..

I have tried Firefox a while ago it was fine except by memory I had a problem with web mail..I have never tried Opera I will give that a try ...

:o Huge download...3.6 megs!!! This must be the smallest browser d/load out there :) I like it....I imported my IE favorites to it and trying some sites out......Lot of firewall adjustments to make though by the looks it keeps poping up messages (sygate p/firewall) even when Opera is closed some sites are still trying to make connections after the browser is closed..IE does this also though ....Just have to remember how I got it sorted last time......Opera is cool and I am still working it out but I love it so far

thanks Andavari