Queston about clearing Windows .tmp files

Libra

Hi,

I just installed CCleaner 1.27.260 slim on my 98se computer and it all went well (except after cleaning the Windows/Applications area) when I tried to right-click on my desktop I got the hourglass and c/a/d showed Explorer wasn't responding. I was able to reboot and everything was okay. I then scanned the registry, backed up, and fixed. I am very impressed with CCleaner!

I would like to install CCleaner on our XPHomesp2 computer and have a few questions:

I have read that if CC Cleaner cleans the C\Windows\PCHealth\helpCTR\offline cache index.dat, the result is that when you try to access msinfo.exe you get the Windows Help instead and can't access msinfo. Has this problem been fixed? (When I ran CC on 98, if I right-clicked on an item in analyze I got the option to "copy to txt". I didn't see any way to de-select an item in this area.)

Also, on the Dell 8400 computer, in my C\Windows\Temp area, besides .tmp files, are History, Cookies, Internet Temp. File folders and many, many .mst files - and a very large Drivers folder. I manually deleted the .mst files and driver folder once and they were all recreated. These .mst files were created when the computer was built.

And, about 2 months ago I deleted some files from the C/Windows/Temp and Temp.Internet Files and when I deleted them from the recycle bin my icons changed on the desktop, I couldn't reboot or shut down the computer and I ended up doing a system restore.

Based on the above, is there a way for me to use CCleaner safely on the XP computer? Also, I noticed in the options a setting to not delete tmp files under 48 hours old (so if that's not checked, will it delete a file 2 hours old?)

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

I don't know about your first question.

Regarding temp files, CCleaner uses the %TEMP% environment variable to find what your temp folder is. In old Win9x systems it used to be C:\TEMP by default; most newer systems use now C:\Documents and Settings user subfolders.

You shouldn't delete anything from the C:WINDOWS folder unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I don't know about your first question.

Regarding temp files, CCleaner uses the %TEMP% environment variable to find what your temp folder is. In old Win9x systems it used to be C:\TEMP by default; most newer systems use now C:\Documents and Settings user subfolders.

You shouldn't delete anything from the C:WINDOWS folder unless you know exactly what you are doing.

It doesn't look like there is a choice as far as what I don't want deleted. There are things I'd like to keep that's why I've saved them.

I have XP Home, SP2, I run CCleaner at the end of every browsing session and sometimes more often. I've never run into any problems with it deleting too much.

I looked for C\Windows\PCHealth\helpCTR\offline cache index.dat on my computer, and I found it, it hasn't been cleaned out. Someone may have mistakenly thought that CCleaner cleans all index.dat files, but it doesn't, it only cleans specific ones.

Hi,

I just installed CCleaner 1.27.260 slim on my 98se computer and it all went well (except after cleaning the Windows/Applications area) when I tried to right-click on my desktop I got the hourglass and c/a/d showed Explorer wasn't responding. I was able to reboot and everything was okay. I then scanned the registry, backed up, and fixed. I am very impressed with CCleaner!

I would like to install CCleaner on our XPHomesp2 computer and have a few questions:

I have read that if CC Cleaner cleans the C\Windows\PCHealth\helpCTR\offline cache index.dat, the result is that when you try to access msinfo.exe you get the Windows Help instead and can't access msinfo. Has this problem been fixed? (When I ran CC on 98, if I right-clicked on an item in analyze I got the option to "copy to txt". I didn't see any way to de-select an item in this area.)

Also, on the Dell 8400 computer, in my C\Windows\Temp area, besides .tmp files, are History, Cookies, Internet Temp. File folders and many, many .mst files - and a very large Drivers folder. I manually deleted the .mst files and driver folder once and they were all recreated. These .mst files were created when the computer was built.

And, about 2 months ago I deleted some files from the C/Windows/Temp and Temp.Internet Files and when I deleted them from the recycle bin my icons changed on the desktop, I couldn't reboot or shut down the computer and I ended up doing a system restore.

Based on the above, is there a way for me to use CCleaner safely on the XP computer? Also, I noticed in the options a setting to not delete tmp files under 48 hours old (so if that's not checked, will it delete a file 2 hours old?)

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

This may help restore your msinfo32.exe

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll

down to Item #221 (right column) "Restore System Information"

(Msinfo32).

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

It doesn't look like there is a choice as far as what I don't want deleted. There are things I'd like to keep that's why I've saved them.

I don't think it's a good idea to save permanent files in the system's temp folder.

I do have a C:\TEMP folder where I can keep things for a while, but this is not my system temp file, which is under C:\Documents and Settings. But you can always uncheck Temporary Files in the System section.

I don't think it's a good idea to save permanent files in the system's temp folder.

Agreed!

If you must have a "things I'm doing" folder, why not leave one in the corner of your desktop, acll it something that is not a reserved system work ("unfiled", "to do" etc.) and stick a dummy file in there to see that it survives CCleaning. CC shouldn't remove anything that is not safe to delete, so the most likely reason for unwanted deletion is putting files in risky places or giving them risky names...

Temp locations may include:

(in root of drive)

\Temp

\Windows\Temp

\Windows\local settings\temp

\Documents and Settings\USER\local settings\temp

As a rule of thumb, don't make any files in system areas - use your own docs or desktop for storage (or at least make new folders in your "Docs & settings\USERNAME" space)

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm glad to hear it doesn't delete the index dat for pchealth. I haven't downloaded it yet, but I will. I guess I won't have it clean the C/Windows/Temp area.

Sincerely, Libra

• 1 year later...

Libra wrote:

I have read that if CC Cleaner cleans the C\Windows\PCHealth\helpCTR\offline cache index.dat... result is that when you try to access msinfo.exe you get the Windows Help instead and can't access msinfo.

This is a late reply, but some might be interested.

I recently found that Spider prgm finds the "C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\offline cache\index.dat" file. I see this on a printed report from Spider. Didn't see this specific path / file mentioned on CCleaner 1.39 analyze report, but can't say that it NEVER would find this particular index.dat. Others having used CCleaner much longer than me may have input.

I accidently ran the cleaning prgm "Spider BITE, instead of the scanning prgm "Spider.exe", and it erased the mentioned file. I did start having problems starting MSInfo (System Information), but I've not fixed it so far. Yes, trying to start MSInfo did launch Help & Support main search window instead.

I would not trust Spider Bite to erase all entries, unless you know specifically what they are, and how may affect other things. Still don't see why launching a file like msinfo32.exe has anything to do w/ an index.dat file. I haven't replaced that erased index.dat file yet, so don't know if it will fix prob.