something wrong with my desktop

oli

ok im on my desktop everything has loaded and it seems fine. but i cant click anywhere but the taskbar, if i double click it just brings up the start menu, my dock program wont show even though it is in processes. i cant make the desktop picture anything other than a paint file. this is puzzling me. im on win 2000 wtf has happened.

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

no it doesnt this really did make me wonder as well. everything else works alright there are no viruses or spyware, very weird.

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

• Moderators

It could just be some funky error that may go away if you reboot. On my WinXP SP2 system every now and then it gets some memory problem (tested and all is ok) and I have to reboot, also some programs from time to time won't run and I have to reboot which I contribute to being something in Windows.

• Moderators

Perhaps you need to make a new user profile? I'm unsure about this on Windows 2000 since I've never used it! However I definately know that on Windows XP sometimes something can go kaput in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and the usual fix is to create a new user profile and copy all the personal documents from the kaput profile to the new one. Of course this isn't going to help if the problem is in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE which will effect any profile old or new.

If Andavari's last suggestion doesn't work. Then try doing a sfc /scannow

run > (type) sfc /scannow (there is a space after sfc)

when prompted insert your installation CD

Maybe that will work. <_<

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

What about trying to reboot in 'Safe Mode' (I assume Windows 2000 has Safe mode) - if it does boot and seems to work better (safe mode is very limited), then there may be a startup proram that is causing some issues.

Now, I'm no expert but would a HijackThis log maybe help us to determine the problem?

Just thought I'd throw something in the pot :-)

Hopefully sfc /scannow works the same on Win2k.

It does. Oddly, 2k and xp have many function similarities. But here is the MS article for 2k.

sfc /scannow Win2k

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Good. Yeah similarly they have allot of security updates, pun intended. ;)

:lol: Fabulous...

The only thing though is after using sfc /scannow it's a good ideal to reboot.

Yes. You should reboot, and reinstall updates. Then defrag. Hope it works!