CCleaner Crashes

hotvoltage

:( Everytime I click on tools my CCleaner crashes. Everything else works fine I've tried reinstalling it and even added it to startup. Nothing seems to be working. I also added it to my firewall. It shuts itself off and sends a crash error to microsoft every time I click the tools button. Is there anything I can do to fix this.

Mike

:( Everytime I click on tools my CCleaner crashes. Everything else works fine I've tried reinstalling it and even added it to startup. Nothing seems to be working. I also added it to my firewall. It shuts itself off and sends a crash error to microsoft every time I click the tools button. Is there anything I can do to fix this.

Mike

Can you post some additional information? Such as your OS, version of CCleaner, and an error message?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Can you post some additional information? Such as your OS, version of CCleaner, and an error message?

My operating system is windows xp home edition with sp2 and I have the latest version of ccleaner 127. The other versions did the same thing. There is no error message Ccleaner shuts off and makes 2 beeping sounds as soon as I click on tools. The error message happens when any program crashes. Its the microsft crash error report. Which sends a crash report to microsoft.

My operating system is windows xp home edition with sp2 and I have the latest version of ccleaner 127. The other versions did the same thing. There is no error message Ccleaner shuts off and makes 2 beeping sounds as soon as I click on tools. The error message happens when any program crashes. Its the microsft crash error report. Which sends a crash report to microsoft.

You can look at the error report in your event viewer. Maybe the error won't be useful, but maybe it will. I'm not sure what's going on. Sometimes an error report can give useful information, but not always. It's weird that everything else in CCleaner works except that feature. Where did you download from?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

You can look at the error report in your event viewer. Maybe the error won't be useful, but maybe it will. I'm not sure what's going on. Sometimes an error report can give useful information, but not always. It's weird that everything else in CCleaner works except that feature. Where did you download from?

The info is usless mostly binary numbers and temporary folder things. I downloaded it from the main page of Ccleaner and before that from download.com.

The info is usless mostly binary numbers and temporary folder things. I downloaded it from the main page of Ccleaner and before that from download.com.

The error report in Event View will give you an Error Message. (Example: "An error was cause in xxx.dll windows will now close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".) And it will give you the source of the error as well as an Event ID.

Open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Application Error Records (Also check your System Error Records)

I'm not sure that this will shed any light on your situation, but it could give us a starting point.

HEY FORUM PEOPLE. PIPE UP! ANY SUGGESTIONS???

This is the error I'm getting from Event Viewer

Faulting application ccleaner.exe, version 1.27.0.260, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001eb33.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

When I click on the link it gives the same usless binary numbers and regular date which I know nothing about.

On the systems "Windows error reporting" is says faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001eb33.

Mike

Faulting application ccleaner.exe, version 1.27.0.260,

Okay! Here's the running theme these days! :lol:

Download DAF / Full Version.

Launch dial-a-fix.exe > click tools > click repair permissions > click go > when it's finished reboot.

(again)Launch dial-a-fix.exe > click green check mark (at bottom of screen) > click go > reboot

Check all the boxes in "Disk Cleanup" then run disk cleanup. Now defrag then reboot.

Now try CCleaner.

...and sends a crash error to microsoft every time I click the tools button. Is there anything I can do to fix this...

:lol: And here's how you fix (ie: get rid of) those retarded Windows Error Reports:

1. Click Start and select Run...

2. Enter in "services.msc" (without the quotes)

3. Scroll down to the Error Reporting Service

4. Right-click it and select Properties

5. If the service is currently running, click the Stop button

6. After it has stopped, change its Startup type to Disabled.

7. Click Apply, then click OK, and close out the Services window

The Error Reporting Service just slows down your computer, eats up your Internet bandwidth, and is a nuisance. Best to leave it off.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Please don't disable error reporting.

Dj, this doesn't prevent error logs from showing up under Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. They are still there. It simply keeps Windows from sending error reports to Microsoft, which is useless, as I stated before.

It won't hurt anything. :D

ding, ding!

• Moderators

I agree with DjLizard by not disabling error reporting. Hence if a Microsoft program produces an error that's the only way MS can release proper patches, and implementations into the next service pack if there is one.

I for one can say that the error reporting does fix issues hence with Publisher 2003 it didn't fully support my Scanner/Printer and simply by reporting the error data within three months it was patched in a service pack.

I agree with DjLizard by not disabling error reporting. Hence if a Microsoft program produces an error that's the only way MS can release proper patches, and implementations into the next service pack if there is one.

I for one can say that the error reporting does fix issues hence with Publisher 2003 it didn't fully support my Scanner/Printer and simply by reporting the error data within three months it was patched in a service pack.

Windows XP has been around for over 5 years. Any error report I send them has already been sent to them by a million other users who don't know how to turn the service off.

Why leave on a service that slows me down, when I don't need it? Especially when supporting Microsoft is not exactly number 1 on my priority list. While we're at it, why not drop $400 on MS Office instead of using OpenOffice.org so that we can further support MS?

ding, ding!

The service doesn't slow anything down, and nobody can prove otherwise.

Crash logs get created whether or not they are being sent by error reporting service.

Sometimes you will get a screen with a pre-release patch on it when you submit an error report for a known problem.

The more error reports get sent for the same problem, the more attention the problem gets, and the faster the response.

Supporting Microsoft = supporting you.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

The service doesn't slow anything down, and nobody can prove otherwise.

Anything that runs uses up RAM and CPU. So yeah, just like any other program it does slow it down.

Crash logs get created whether or not they are being sent by error reporting service.

Right. That is what I said.

ding, ding!

I tried the dial a fix and Ccleaner is still crashing. I moved most of my software from my c drive to my d drive maybee Ccleaner only works with the c drive.

Mike

You repaired permissions with dial-a-fix, and it didn't work? You don't need to move your software.

First, try this: Reboot in Safe Mode, logon as administrator, and run CCleaner. If that doesn't work.

Try this: Have your installation CD ready, but don't insert it until you're prompted to do so.

start > run > (type) sfc /scannow (there is a space after sfc)

To clarify, don't do the sfc /scannow bit in Safe Mode; it only works in normal mode.

Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just as a warning the dial a fix ruined my c drive and I had to reinstall my whole c drive. After reinstalling my c drive the ccleaner now works great. I guess I should have backed up all my files and reinstalled my c drive in the first place. Use the dial a fix program with extreme caution. I think its just better to back up the files you need and reinstall your drive. Thank god most of my files were on my d drive so I didn't loose much. I did download the dial a fix form the main site.

Mike

Exactly how did Dial-a-fix "ruin" your C: drive?

While I was using it in the middle of the process I got a blue screen with some letters on it but it happened so fast that I couldn't read the message. Then my laptop restarted, when I tried to click on anything most of the programs wouldn't respond and the ones that did couldn't do much. I think it screwed up my registry cause it completely wiped out my system restore so I couldn't restore my system. I tried to back up the files I had on my computer but I couldn't back up any files no matter what I did. I tried copying them to a cd, dvd and even tried backing up my files into an external hard drive and nothing worked. The programs kept crashing and I finally decided to reformat and reinstall my C drive. Since most of my files were in my D drive I decided to only reformat and reinstall my C drive. Thank God it worked and most of my files were saved since they were located on my D drive now I know what my D drive is for lol. Sorry but dial a fix is not for me.

Mike

P:S: I just went to the site on dial a fix and the text was pulled out. The problem that was described on the DJ Lizard site sounds very familiar I guess I'm one of those 5% with the problem.

http://djlizard.net/

That sounds a lot like the problem I had.

Blue screens of death and data loss are not among the symtpoms, so you probably had a corrupt registry to begin with. Dial-a-fix can't cope with pre-existing critical problems just like most programs can't, but registering DLLs definitely will not cause blue screens of death. The problematic file was the new mshtml.dll that Microsoft just pushed out in the Optional section of Windows Update. But yeah, it won't cause your system to restart, so you had something much, much worse. The part about System Restore not working (was it just blank?) is part of the symptoms. However, if you had been able to get online from another computer, I could have shown you how to manually revert your registry to a previously working one, but you opted to format instead. Next time, just shoot me an email from whatever computer you can get to, and I'll give you the steps on how to do a manual system restore (which only requires that you have a Windows XP installation CD).

Here's a tip for your new installation: disable automatic restart. Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > uncheck "Automatically restart".

Next time you get a blue screen of death (and you may soon, if you have an intermittent hardware defect) you'll be able to read the STOP error code so a technician can help you (instead of it auto-rebooting, which was dumb of Microsoft to put in there in the first place). If the error you had was similar to PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGEABLE AREA then it probably was pre-existing registry corruption, which you fixed by formatting/reinstalling.

If it was an intermittent memory failure, then it may not crop back up again for a while (because hardware has the distinct ability to be "slightly defective" and very intermittent).

I recommend doing a memory test now so that you know your new installation is safe too: www.memtest.org

You can download a bootable CD or bootable floppy maker. Boot to memtest86+, and make sure it passes the test at least 5 times.

Anyway, I suspect that it was just a corrupted registry hive and everything will be fine now.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)