Help! Folders Deleted

I ran CCleaner and all of the exe files on my desktop suddenly appeared with generic icons and the links were missing.  When I went to the programs folder, all of the program folders are gone.  I went to my documents do restore the registry and did a merge as instructed when I looked how to recover, but everything is still gone!   Help!!!

• Moderators

More info is needed:

* What operating system are you using, example: Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit), Windows 8.1

* What CCleaner version are you using, it will display at the upper-left when the program is open.

Edit:

Beat to the questions by Alan. However it almost sounds like the old environment variables bug which I think was suppose to have been fixed in a CCleaner update a long time ago. I still don't understand how this affects some peoples machines with many others unaffected.

Edited by Andavari

I'm running Windows 7 Home 64 bit, I think I downloaded CCleaner from CNet Downloads quite awhile back.  I've used it for years on different computers and multiple times on this one with no problems.  I first did a standard clean and then I did the registry clean.  When I immediately saw a problem, I looked to see how to undo and saw it said to merge the backup reg file, which I did, but nothing changed.  I then did a system restore, but still nothing.

• Moderators

CC by itself would not have deleted Program Files folders unless it was 1) not the official product or 2) instructed to do so via INCLUDEs and even then, Windows would have prevented ALL folders being deleted, like the ones in use by the system.

So, to confirm, all your Program Folders are gone?

That would explain the desktop icons either being missing or reset to generic icons.

As you have discovered, a System Restore or the merging back of the reg file will not fix deleted Program Files folders, it's just not something System Restore covers.

Have you checked the Recycle Bin?

Does booting to Safe Mode make any differences or allow any further investigations?

Wouldn't hurt while in Safe mode to run all your AV, anti-malware, maintenance software.

What are the chances you do backup images of your hard drive or Windows installation?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

mta, on 23 Jun 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

CC by itself would not have deleted Program Files folders unless it was 1) not the official product or 2) instructed to do so via INCLUDEs and even then, Windows would have prevented ALL folders being deleted, like the ones in use by the system.

So, to confirm, all your Program Folders are gone?

That would explain the desktop icons either being missing or reset to generic icons.

As you have discovered, a System Restore or the merging back of the reg file will not fix deleted Program Files folders, is just not something System Restore covers.

Have you checked the Recycle Bin?

Does booting to Safe Mode make any differences or allow any further investigations?

Wouldn't hurt while in Safe mode to run all your AV, anti-malware, maintenance software.

What are the chances you do backup images of your hard drive or Windows installation?

+1

Backup images have saved my bacon a few times.  Quickest & easiest way to recover when things go horribly wrong. :)  Love Macrium Reflect and SyncBack to recover OS & current user data files.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

I'm running Windows 7 Home 64 bit, I think I downloaded CCleaner from CNet Downloads quite awhile back.  I've used it for years on different computers and multiple times on this one with no problems.  I first did a standard clean and then I did the registry clean.  When I immediately saw a problem, I looked to see how to undo and saw it said to merge the backup reg file, which I did, but nothing changed.  I then did a system restore, but still nothing.

That would be when CNET earned themselves a horrendous reputation for bundling high quality freeware such as CCleaner into installation packages which included low quality junk that paid them a commission for every computer that received their surplus and unwanted and damaging "extras" which came along for the ride.

(I am one of many who still totally distrust CNET.)

At the end of the day the easiest solution MAY be to use data recovery for any user documents you prefer to keep if possible,

and then format and reinstall Windows.

If you can use Windows Disk Management, and adjust the boundaries to show everything (including the headings Free space, Fault tolerance, and overhead,

and then take and post screenshot(s),

then we would have a better idea of your situation and be able to give better advice.

• Moderators

Are you able to use Internet Explorer on the machine? (If you are able to, then your Program Folders have not been deleted they may just be hidden.)

Are you using a different machine now?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Are you able to use Internet Explorer on the machine?

Good question because some malware/ransomware hides files without necessarily deleting them.

To launch Internet Explorer without any visible shortcuts available:
1. Click: Start > Run
2. Type in: iexplore
3. Click: Ok