An apology to all

Derek891

Back on Oct. 16, I had a big problem with Windows 8. It was not the first time Windows had failed me. Most of you on the forum are aware of this. And I swore that would be the end of it, no more of Windows 8 on my machine. So I began an odyssey to find a Linux based OS to replace Windows 8. I learned a lot about several Linux distros, their own quirks, their problems with UEFI and Secure Boot, networking, dual booting, and so on. And they all seemed to share two common problems: an inability to resume after suspend, and the inability to detect my Wi-Fi device from a cold boot (after a re-boot it would work). I scoured their respective forums looking for the solutions to these two problems, yet it seemed no matter what I tried, I could never get things to work right. And then on one forum someone mentioned the one thing I had never considered: BIOS. And it seemed to make sense, why would three different Linux operating systems all behave the same way? So it was off to the HP support website, and there I found it: On Sept. 30, HP had released version 2.3 of my BIOS. So for just over two weeks, while I still had Windows 8 installed, the HP support assistant software had failed it's primary purpose, to notify me of this important update. There was only one problem: to install the new BIOS, I would have to re-install Windows. So last Wednesday I did. Then I updated the BIOS. And so far, things are going smoothly, none of the glitches of the past have occurred. And so I've decided to give Windows 8 another chance.

And now I would like to apologize to the members of the forum, the moderators, and the developers in particular. I realize that the success of Piriform's products depends upon the success of Microsoft's product, Windows 8. I am sure I've caused a certain amount of dismay and angst by bad mouthing Windows 8 on this forum. The only excuse I can offer is this: I have some degree of knowledge of how to diagnose problems with Windows, and no knowledge of how to diagnose problems with BIOS. I can only work with the settings that are offered, assume that BIOS works as is, and that my problems must lie elsewhere. Again, my apologies, and I hope to make amends by offering a more positive attitude in the future.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

Glad you got it sorted out finally. Many of us on here have zero love for HP, so much to never buy anything from them ever again.

bad mouthing Windows 8 on this forum.

That's my job! All from experience of using it enough to not like it.

• Moderators

Ah, remember the heady days when if you were buying a printer, you would only look at a HP model. (the laserjet range rocked)

Now they are just like any of the others in the bunch.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

If you want a real eye opener, Google the phrase "HP laptop recovery failed". One person will start a thread on the HP support forum complaining about this, then another joins in, and another, and so on. Before you know it, there are a dozen or so people, all with the same problem. And that's just a single thread. There are dozens and dozens of threads like this. I guess I should consider myself lucky that it has worked for me without a glitch.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

Again, my apologies, and I hope to make amends by offering a more positive attitude in the future.

Well said, sir. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.