Option to tell Recuva where to install

rstuff

I lost my Firefox bookmarks so I tried installing Recuva to restore them. I never did see an option of where to install it so it installed on my C: drive. This drive doesn't have much space left on it and it is where my bookmarks were. I could not find my lost bookmarks and I suspect that Recuva installed where they were.

• Moderators

Sadly you are probably correct in that assumption.one should never wrote to a drive one is trying to recover from. I take it you didn't have your bookmark synced with Firefox's inbuilt sync

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Well, you still have to download it, and even if you stick it on a flash drive then the Piriform website will plonk a few more files on your drive whilst you're doing it. In these extreme cases you could:

In your browser clear temp internet files. This will release a variable amount of space and MFT entries and give you a bit of breathing space (I think this is a good thing to do in any recovery exercise).

Download and unzip Recuva portable to a flash drive on another pc, then move to the afflicted pc.

Running Recuva portable immediately creates a prefetch entry, and Recuva itself creates and deletes a 'random file' on the sys drive, so there's always something going on, even with portable applications.

I don't know how you could easily 'lose' FF's bookmarks, but I suppose it's possible.

I don't know how you could easily 'lose' FF's bookmarks, but I suppose it's possible.

So far as my Palemoon Browser (based on Firefox code) is concerned it has bookmarks in its profile which is located at

C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\

In actual reality it is located at

D:\Junctions\PaleMoon\Alan\Roaming\Pale Moon\Profiles\

Please note that Pale Moon is NOT a "Folder" but a "Junction Folder" or "Reparse Point" which links to the genuine "Folder" Pale Moon.

I did exactly the same thing with the slightly different paths used by Firefox, long before I was enlightened and switched to Palemoon.

The result is that an image backup of C:\ is not encumbered with browser caches that have no value.

Incidentally, CCleaner still cleans the caches which it sees as being on C:\etc and not at d:\etc