Funky sound in newly ripped audio

englishmen

I have recently been re ripping my music at a higher bit rate(192kb) and there is one song on 3 different albums that has some weird sound and i know its not apart of the song. Anyone know what is causing this? im using Exact Audio Copy which on others albums is great its just the a few, is it something wrong with the album i.e. scratched etc. or what, thanks.

Have you tried it at higher bit rates than 192k? Maybe try it at 320k, and see if the problem still persists. If it does, is there any possiblity at all that it is the song? What is the song (and please don't say it's country :) )?

Another thing you could try is saving it as a 16 bit stereo WAV, and see if you still hear the sound. That way, you'll know for sure if it is the song or not.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

EAC is very good at detecting errors, however there are times when it will display something like Sync Error or Read Error so if you're hearing a glitch due to a track EAC can't rip without errors you'd need to use another ripper to rip that particular track such as CDex using the Paranoia Full ripping method which can be achieved in 'CDex Configuration -> CD Drive -> Ripping Method'.

Out of 2000 plus CD's I ripped EAC has only on a handful of occassions given me some weird noise in an extracted track however it's usually the whole track that's effected such as a track full of nothing but a loud hissing sound, that's when I immediately fire up CDex to rip such tracks.

Edit:

Something else to verify that EAC is extracting the track without errors (e.g.; a perfect rip) is to do this:

1. Highlight the track then click in the EAC toolbar: Action -> Test & Copy Selected Tracks.

2. After the test & copy are done make sure the Test CRC and Copy CRC are identical.

It's also very important that you're using EAC in Secure Mode!

Does this happen to you when on only one disc or all disc?

I heard very good things about EAC, it should be good for ripping. CDex is good too though.

192 kbit/s bitrate should be enough or more than enough.

.ogg (Ogg Vorbis) is a good choice of format to encode the music into when its ripped.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

.ogg (Ogg Vorbis) is a good choice of format to encode the music into when its ripped.

An .ogg at quality 6 would be my choice anyday over any 192kbps CBR mp3, since it's gapless and is typically archival quality and transparent, e.g.; the inability to distinguish a quality difference between the encoded .ogg and the original audio CD.

We do however have to remember why people stick with mp3 which is for compatibility reasons. I'd never use 192kbps CBR for encoding an mp3, I'd instead use LAME -V 2 ("old --preset standard") or LAME -V 2 --vbrnew ("old --preset fast standard") which will be roughly filesize wise approximately that of a 192kbps CBR mp3 but with better quality if not archival quality and transparent.

• Moderators

Ogg vorbis is very good, bust most commercial and free cd burnign programs only burn either mp3 or wma to wav audio for playing in a car stereo so what GOOD is it if you can't listen to it on your car stereo or make it portable?

MP3 seems to be the best

We do however have to remember why people stick with mp3 which is for compatibility reasons.

What is my saying

Thanks Andavari.

got to do with

Ogg vorbis is very good, bust most commercial and free cd burnign programs only burn either mp3 or wma to wav audio for playing in a car stereo so what GOOD is it if you can't listen to it on your car stereo or make it portable?

MP3 seems to be the best

?

We do however have to remember why people stick with mp3 which is for compatibility reasons.

Exactly it was getting a choir converting music to put onto a mp3 audio disc or a portable music player, mp3 can play on anything that supports audio.

• Moderators

Exactly it was getting a choir converting music to put onto a mp3 audio disc or a portable music player, mp3 can play on anything that supports audio.

Yup, that's why a couple of years ago when I recorded all my cassette tapes from the 1980's via line-in I chose to use mp3, LAME --preset standard to be precise since I just knew one day I'd have a home or portable player that could playback mp3's. And wouldn't you know it just one year later I got a home DVD recorder that has mp3 playback capabilities.