Puppy Linux, Precise Puppy 5.5

login123

Right now on here using SeaMonkey (what a name for a browser) running on a Precise Puppy 5.5 live CD.

This desktop has UEFI type BIOS, AMD 64 bit processor, and a GPT formatted HDD.

Some of the older live CDs don't work, but this version of puppy does. No tweaking required.

So for the price of a CD or a small USB stick (the ISO is about 168 mb) you have a functional OS that runs in RAM. Its fast. Has lots of apps.

If you don't install it, normal app useage doesn't change your computer. But you can make changes. There are dangerous softwares included in this little package, gparted to name one. Also, Linux generally ignores the safeties built in to windows, so be careful what you mess with.

There are a bunch of Puppy distros, and for me at least it isn't easy to figure out which one does what, but this one works on this computer. There is some information about this version and a download link here:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00172

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

That's a nice neat package at 168mb, and sadly the tablets aren't working any more so I'm back in downloadaholic mode.

I'll let you know what I think when I've given it a whirl.

EDIT: Appreciate the link. Forum etiquette isn't completely dead. :)

"sadly the tablets aren't working any more so I'm back in downloadaholic mode."

I have just given up and been assimilated. :lol:

I tried the one called Wary puppy, couldn't get the sound to work. Downloaded this one at 128 kbs ugh. Sound didn't work for this one either. Had the speakers plugged in to the wrong socket. > head slap <

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

Running it from a CD at the moment, and once again I forgot to remove my head phones before that damned bark nearly deafened me.

Installed Opera (into memory), and it's running fine. There isn't anything to really shout about, although as a reasonably small package it has quite a selection of software.

And, unlike other linux distro's I've tried, I've been given the option to save changes to a hard drive, so no need to use a flash drive and/or jump through hoops to obtain "persistence".

I'm having fun exploring this stuff again.

post-8751-0-94576500-1368027693_thumb.jpg

Edited by DennisD
2nd edit: Image issue fixed.

• Moderators

I always thought puppy was a neat OS. I just never felt like it was full featured enough to be my main OS. I haven't used it in a long time though.

Also you mentioned Seamonkey. Seamonkey has been around for a while, its actually the continuation of the Mozilla Suite(the browser mozilla made before firefox). I'm not sure why they still update it since its so outdated in features compared to firefox/chrome.

I'm not sure why they still update it since its so outdated in features compared to firefox/chrome.

Actually, it's kept remarkably up-to-date on web standards. The latest version is running Gecko 19, the same layout engine as the current Firefox version. I suspect Mozilla are using it as a testing-ground of sorts.

I'm Shane.

• Moderators

As far as engine goes, yes its updated. I think they integrated it into the firefox engine years ago so they wouldn't have to do double work on security updates.

Feature wise though its another story.

eL_PuSHeR, I am always looking for alternatives that will boot on this win 7 UEFI system. Don't want to be limited by microsoft and HP.

Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS works, and now Precise Puppy 5.5.

Interestingly, when Ubuntu boots from the live CD, it flashes a quick message saying "Secure Boot Is Not Enabled", then starts.

Have no idea what it means, but there wasn't time to react and it doesn't hurt anything anyway.

Puppy doesn't do that.

LibreOffice in Ubuntu will work with powerpoint files created by my (state of the art) microsoft office 97 suite.

Files created by either app are compatible, with an occassional glitch. That is a huge plus for Ubuntu.

OpenOffice in Puppy is not compatible, afaik.

Rridgely, you're right, Puppy is still a bit limited on features. But it runs in RAM ind isn't bad for so small a file, eh? And the price is OK. :D

Seamonkey comes with Puppy, it is a llitle bit different, but its pretty fast.

Chrome and Firefox are available. Firefox is also fast, haven't tried Chrome yet.

• Moderators

This is a neat little package, and on second running it picked up the "save" file really quickly which makes it the most user friendly "small" distro I've tried.

To have what is also a very useful "LiveCD" (as opposed to a flash drive) with the ability to save changes such as my Opera install, or any other useful utilities I may want to add, is pretty good.

Opera 12.15 is running really smoothly and very slick on here.

eL_PuSHeR, I am always looking for alternatives that will boot on this win 7 UEFI system. Don't want to be limited by microsoft and HP.

Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS works, and now Precise Puppy 5.5.

Interestingly, when Ubuntu boots from the live CD, it flashes a quick message saying "Secure Boot Is Not Enabled", then starts.

Have no idea what it means, but there wasn't time to react and it doesn't hurt anything anyway.

Puppy doesn't do that.

LibreOffice in Ubuntu will work with powerpoint files created by my (state of the art) microsoft office 97 suite.

Files created by either app are compatible, with an occassional glitch. That is a huge plus for Ubuntu.

OpenOffice in Puppy is not compatible, afaik.

Rridgely, you're right, Puppy is still a bit limited on features. But it runs in RAM ind isn't bad for so small a file, eh? And the price is OK. :D

Seamonkey comes with Puppy, it is a llitle bit different, but its pretty fast.

Chrome and Firefox are available. Firefox is also fast, haven't tried Chrome yet.

I do not regret saying I am a Windows man. I was succesful in "destroying" those nasty GPT partitions (using a WinPE + Linux GParted combination). After that, I repartitioned the 500GB hard disk the way I liked (using MBR regular partitions of course) and then Win7 installed on a breeze. It is worth mentioning that the bios allowed me to choose whether to boot UEFI or not. Nice move. I got my hands on an HP laptop some days ago and the bios was a wasteland. Nothing to change there. Note to self: do not ever buy from HP (I have also had very bad experiences with their all-in-one scanners/printers. Drivers just suck big time).

Back on topic: I forgot to say that it's VERY GOOD to have some alternatives, like Linuxes, Android, Mac, etcetera... The more the merrier...

I didn't try to save anything, Dennis, good to know its easy. Will try next time. Thanks.

eL_PuSHeR, I have been an HP fan for a long time, but no more. Several reasons, but the lack of factory drivers for this hardware for win xp was the game changer.

More or less on topic: To be fair, this BIOS is pretty flexible as far as I have learned about it. It allows to boot from from whatever devices are plugged in. If they are bootable, of course.

That reformat project you described is beyond my ability right now. For the moment it is enough to just try out various Linux distros to have available as alternatives. Because you're right, the more the merrier.

I just installed 3 distros on a 4 gb USB stick using a multiboot installer called YUMI.

Still have room to spare. Pretty easy, even for me. That's why I posted this.

YUMI is here:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

If you don't have the ISOs yet, YUMI will download them, but I haven't tried that.

If the iso files are in a folder on your HDD, YUMI will install them from there, that's quicker.

And you can remove a distro if you want, but i haven't tried that either.

YUMI sets up the boot loader on the USB stick to offer you a choice of whatever is there.

All you really have to know is how to make your computer to boot from the USB stick, and which distro you want to start.

All 3, Ubuntu 32 bit, Ubuntu 64 bit, and Precise Puppy 5.5 boot fine on my old win xp computer and newer win 7 computer (UEFI, GPT, etc, etc).

So for the price of a USB stick and a little time, you can carry 3 (at least) OSs around in your pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

Had not seen that. Got it now, tho. :) Thanks

Will try it soon.