Wipe Free space

michaelsmith664

Hello,I recently started using ccleaner and I am still confused about a feature.I want to wipe the free space on my drive but I am confused.Will it delete the large file afterwards or will I have to do it myself(can you include the location of the file please).Secondly will this slow down my computer or break my drive and lastly how long will it take.I have a Windows 7 pc w/ 2.00 gb of RAM.

Thanks again.

• Moderators

it will delete the large file(s) at the end of the wipe.

it will take a good amount of time, though without the size of free space on the drive (and even with) and number of wipes it's not possible for us here to estimate.

That said wiping freespace is a disc intensive action and can reduce the lifespan of the drive.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thank you very much.I was also wondering whether there is anything I can do to speed up the process such as not use the computer during the wipe.

Also i have a somewhat unrelated question does ccleaner completly remove all traces of index.dat files and temporary internet files because I read on some forums including this one that it leaves behind some hidden index.dat files. .I use google chrome and I wanted to make my browsing history completly irretrievable by anyone

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much.I was also wondering whether there is anything I can do to speed up the process such as not use the computer during the wipe.

Also i have a somewhat unrelated question does ccleaner completly remove all traces of index.dat files and temporary internet files because I read on some forums including this one that it leaves behind some hidden index.dat files. .I use google chrome and I wanted to make my browsing history completly irretrievable by anyone

You shouldn't being doing anything with your computer when using CCleaner. Let it do its job first.