Locking up when cleaning files

CCleaner information from the top of screen:

v3.26.1888 (64-bit) AMD Athlon II X3 445 Processor, 8.0G Ram, NIVIDIA GeForce GT 240

When cleaning Explorer files in version 10..0.9200.16438, CCleaner locks up.

Files that it locks ups are random, some examples are XXXX[1].js and XXXX.jpg !

In addition if you choose cancel because you have to get onto the internet it locks up.

This mainly happens (but not always) when choosing secure erase options (no matter how many

passes you choose nor any other options). It occurs always when cleaning up temporary internet files.

The folder it list is in C:....\Temporary Internet Files\.....

I could not find this directory even in the Prompt (DOS) mode. Nor could I find this Temporary file

when I have chosen to show all hidden files and directories in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit mode.

When it locks up, to eliminate it I go to Windows Task manager and choose: Applications and it

appeared to be gone.

However, going back to processes shows it still there and one time before

I learned this, I tried to run Cleaner again and found that there were multiple instances of CCleaner

under Applications.

Perhaps the amount of files is part of the problem, in the past versions I could just run it and walk

out of the computer room and come back later. Now it has to be monitored to see when it just

sets there indicating it is still running.

"version 10..0.9200.16438" of what particular software ?

Where did you download CCleaner from ?

CCleaner is freeware for private use only.

For use in a computer room you probably need to pay for a license and then you get professional support from the developers.

• Moderators

OS version? If win7 ie 10(beta) is not currently supported by ccleaner and won't be until it (ie) is released out of beta

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

What Nergal said, and also try cleaning the Temporary Internet Files using Internet Explorer to see what happens. May require a reboot, and may also require a ChkDsk if there's something wrong with the hard disk/file system.

Thank you for the replies:

RE: Reply (1) This is my personal copy and not a business and it was downloaded from Piriform.

RE: Reply (2) I do not clean every thing that is checked off, just what I have chosen. That is mainly temporary Internet files..

RE: Reply (3) I use this program as I don't want to eliminate specific cookies for specific web pages. Internet Explorer does not appear to have this option.

RE: Reply (4) I ran check-disk several times in addition ran Norton's' 360 and Spybot search and destroy. Norton's' included Registry check as well as Registry Check in CCleaner (they found no problem)s.

There was another post quite similar to mine listed as locking up when cleaning temporary internet files (however I posted this as I had more information) .

• Moderators

RE: Reply  (2) I do not clean every thing that is checked off, just what I have chosen.  That is mainly temporary Internet files..

I think this answer is aimed at my signature (everything under the horizontal line below) so I'll ask again

OS Version

IE 10 on win7 is not yet supported

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

In my original post and in the paragraph that starts: The folder it list.......

I listed the operating system as Windows 7 Pro--64 Bit. At the very top list the pertinent hardware.

My IE is version 10 >

You state that Windows 7 and IE 10 are not supported as yet and that appears to be my problem ! :wacko:

When will they be supported ? I have been running this hardware for close to a year and really like the option to keep certain cookies !

Win 8 - 64 Bit - fully updated

HP DM1-3020 - 8 GB Ram

Processor - AMD E-350

Browsers - IE10, Chrome 24.0.1312.52 m & Opera 12.12

Ccleaner version - 3.26.1888

I too am seeing Ccleaner locking up either at 12% or 16%. I have rebooted numberous times after each failure. Have not seen any similar problems with prior versions.

System is clean from scans via Norton 360 Premier, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiVirus programs.

Decided to uninstall above current version, and rebooted. D/L'ed and installed prior version 3.25.1872 and again rebooted.

Opened Ccleaner, and it worked properly without any lockups / freezing, so I'm thinking that some code needs to be tweaked in 3.26.1888.

Bob