C: in cookies to delete

noebro

I noticed in my "cookies to delete" section the following: "c:" (my quotes). I moved it to "cookies to keep", but there is no way to remove it. I tried uninstalling and re-installing, but there it is again. Is this a result of some old virus that directed my c drive to be deleted this way? I have run countless scans with a number of different scanners, but my computer is otherwise clean. Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry! I missed your post, please forgive me - I thought I would be notified by email so I kind of forgot about my posting. But I'm kind of scared to drag C: to the delete column if you know what I mean. What kind of confidence can you give me that I won't erase everything? Obviously I'm a newbie when it comes to these things...But I appreciate your prompt response. Thank you.

• Moderators

Can you take a screenshot of the cookies screen with c: highlighted?

Specifically interested in the area that is arrow point to it

fafb43b1.png

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Just from reading this thread from the outside, a screenshot was my thought as well, as that "C" entry sounds most odd.

Screenshots are really useful on any forum and with just about any problem going, so if it's something you haven't done before, and we've all been there, you may find this useful ...

How to do Screen Capture and use Image Hosting Sites:

And it's quite easy to block out personal data from any screenshot.

• Moderators

would you be willing to let ccleaner clean all your cookies but C: ?then maybe we can show all hidden and system files, and look in all the locations that ccleaner cleans for ie cookies

I'm slightly worried, as you are that something may have made something odd occur with your cookies

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Can you say what operating system you are using.

Also you mention about an old virus remnant which directed your c drive to be deleted this way. Did an infection actually happen or were you just suggesting possibilities?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

To everyone: thank you for your interest!

To Nergal: As long as I keep the "C:" in cookies to keep, CC will clean cookies in the "to delete" section.

To Hazelnut: Windows XP SP3, and I was just speculating how this odd "cookie" came to appear one day in my cookies to delete, and that I moved it to cookies to keep. I was just wondering if this was the result of a trojan, but I have no proof.

To Dennis D: I have used screenshot programs before, but they become imcompatible add-ons to newer browser versions of Firefox. I can right click on any web page to bring up a screenshot tool from my Bing Bar, but right clicking wont work on CC. Sometimes I can Control P to create a Microsoft Image print, but that also won't work on CC. I am studying your extensive post on Faststone Capture so hopefully I will have a visual for everybody soon.

• Moderators

Not sure why you cannot use Microsoft capture a picture of ccleaner open at the area we are talking about.

Does this not work for you?

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=13668&view=findpost&p=116969

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I use the Portable version of WinSnap to take screenshots

http://www.ntwind.co...ee-version.html

I suggest that you run CCleaner to remove whatever you have configured it to do, including the "Cookies to Delete"

Then "Analyze" and confirm nothing more is chosen for removal.

Then move this cookie from "Cookies to Keep" to "Cookies to Delete"

DO NOT REMOVE but once more "Analyze" and then double click the result.

This should show the path and file name which holds the cookie.

If you report that information back then you may get useful advice from those who know about these things.

I am more than happy to say that I cannot advise because I never use the IE browser so never get IE cookies.

If you want to play safe then move the cookie back to "Cookies to Keep".

• Moderators

I've never came across that before. It's as if you've visited a site called "C:", and it's deposited a cookie on your computer.

The only immediate thought I had after seeing that image is that you can actually make a bookmark (Favourites) in Internet Explorer (via Windows Explorer) of your C: drive, and you can open that drives window whilst online by using the Internet Explorer bookmark.

But it doesn't drop a cookie when you do that.

Alan's advice sounds good.

And after reading your description of what's missing (that you know of) from your computer, I would strongly suggset that at some time you have your computer checked out by an expert if you haven't already done so.

We used to have a Malware Removal expert here in the Spyware Hell section of the forum, but we don't any longer. However there are links to Malware Removal sites where you can have your computer checked out and cleaned if necessary by an expert.

And it's free. You can find the links to these sites here ...

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=34786

. . . move this cookie from "Cookies to Keep" to "Cookies to Delete".

Friends, I've just discovered that when I drag a cookie to the delete column it's instantly deleted. Please check and confirm. v.3.18.

Friends, I've just discovered that when I drag a cookie to the delete column it's instantly deleted. Please check and confirm. v.3.18.

You scared me.

Yes and No

It disappears from Keep and does not emerge for Delete.

BUT if I select a "Cookie to Delete" and move it to Keep, it appears in the Keep column.

I can then select it in the Keep column and move it to the Delete column and it DOES emerge ready for deleting.

This is on version 3.16

I suspect that CCleaner does not show availability of cookies for deleting if they are not present.

I suspect that after many updates to Firefox (now abandoned) and several to Palemoon,

it is more than likely that the "Cookies to Keep" column is never updated.

Upon reflection, my "cookies to keep" originated many years ago when A.O.L. was the ISP for my Laptop Internet,

and I never removed their "Cookie to Keep" entry when I copied CCleaner.ini from the laptop to my desktop with a totally different ISP.

I probably have a few hundred "cookies to keep" which my desktop has never visited.

Panic over - I think :)

Good spot K.

It disappears with dragging but not when using the "arrows".

Will CCleaner never cease to amaze us with it's hidden talents?

I see no difference between dragging and using the arrows.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1 and CCleaner 3.16

Not gone to 3.18 because I am still learning what to (not) do with my new SSD.

• Moderators

So you can drag (not move with the arrows) a cookie from the "to keep" column to the "to delete" column and it appears safely in the "to delete" column?

If you move it across first with the arrows, and then back again, you can then drag it without it disappearing.

But who on earth is gonna know to do that?

Drag it straight over and it disappears on my XP.

It disappears from Keep and does not emerge for Delete.

Panic over - I think :)

A recent glitch I think, cos I remember being able to drag cookies to Delete, then changing my mind and dragging them back to Keep.

Yes, It was "To Delete" because its presence was detected.

When moved "To Keep" the cookie remained and moving back "To delete" its presence was revalidated.

I deduce that CCleaner does not bother to confirm that "cookies to keep" exist,

it assumes that they existed when first chosen "to Keep" and they should still be present.

N..B. I use Portable CCleaner with CCleaner.ini

If you use Installed CCleaner with registry settings "your mileage may vary" :)

A recent glitch I think, cos I remember being able to drag cookies to Delete, then changing my mind and dragging them back to Keep.

Your memory is much better than mine, but I feel you may be right.

Thank you Alan_B, I did as you said and below is a txt of the analysis. Looks harmless, can anyone else opine?

ANALYSIS COMPLETE - (0.724 secs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

56 bytes to be removed. (Approximate size)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details of files to be deleted (Note: No files have been deleted yet)

Internet Explorer - Cookies 1 KB 1 files

C:\Documents and Settings\Noel Brooks\UserData\FMKRK619\oXMLStoreUnit[1].xml 1 KB