Parental Control under Windows 7...

The New Guy

Hi, I guess I'm sort of new to Windows 7. I was testing the parental controls under this OS, just to see what it was like. You know how you put all this restrictions on one's account? - Well, you know how when you try to open a program under the account with parental control on, you get the window that says only admins can unlock this process for you, or something like that? Once you type in the any admins account's password(in this case there's only one admin account on my laptop) and it says always unlock, or always block. I click always unlock so I can always open the file without that annoying window popping up. So, my question is; once it's set to always allow, does this mean this account - with parental control on, has automatic admin authorization on that particular program?

Thanks in Advance.

What you see is what you get. :)

New guy, I have not used that feature myself, but usually if a feature says always allow, or to always block, then it does exactly what you click.

If it says always allow & you click it, I believe it will enable it to always open under admin. I could be wrong, so maybe if someone with more experience in this posts, then we can see. But if it says always allow, & you click always allow, there is a 99% chance that is what it will do from now on.

Hope this helps!

Oh, I see....so using parental control on a standard account, if the program isn't listed under the allowed section and you try to unblock it using admin's account, it will always run under that admin account. SO basically you get admin authority just giving it to that program you're using? Hm....this does sound a bit....un-expected..as I had thought once clicked always allow, I would assume the program would only run at the authority of the current user and not that of the admin...But in truth, I suppose you do have something that's right, as before, without parental control on, it'd ask for admin password, but now, once always allow, it does not need ask anymore....hmmmm, I think unless you don't plan to run anything other than the ones added to the lust, it'd be safer to just use a standard acount with no parental control..,

Yes, I just created a standard user account (with parental controls enabled).

I tried to open CCleaner, then it prompted me for the Admin password, & had a link to click to "Ask an Admin for permission".

I clicked "Ask an Admin for permission", & it came up with "Keep Blocking" & "Always Allow".

I clicked "Always Allow" & tried it again, & this time, it never prompted me for a password no matter how many times I ran it.

If you are just wanting to run it with Admin rights a single time, it would be better to just right click the file, then choose the option to Run As Admin & enter the Admin password.

If you have mistakenly "Always Allowed" a program, you can open the list of allowed & blocked programs under Parental Controls & remove that program from the Always Allowed list, so that it always calls for permission again.

Hope this helps!

Edit: To quickly summarize your question, YES it DOES automatically grant full & permanent admin rights to a program once you click always allow. Unless you change it later.

Yes, I just created a standard user account (with parental controls enabled).

I tried to open CCleaner, then it prompted me for the Admin password, & had a link to click to "Ask an Admin for permission".

I clicked "Ask an Admin for permission", & it came up with "Keep Blocking" & "Always Allow".

I clicked "Always Allow" & tried it again, & this time, it never prompted me for a password no matter how many times I ran it.

If you are just wanting to run it with Admin rights a single time, it would be better to just right click the file, then choose the option to Run As Admin & enter the Admin password.

If you have mistakenly "Always Allowed" a program, you can open the list of allowed & blocked programs under Parental Controls & remove that program from the Always Allowed list, so that it always calls for permission again.

Hope this helps!

Edit: To quickly summarize your question, YES it DOES automatically grant full & permanent admin rights to a program once you click always allow. Unless you change it later.

I see. That was the kind of feeling I had with that feature, at first....best on kids who are new to computers, but against user like me and you - you don't want it on.... ^_^ I like manually typing in my admin password for every program that asks for it, even thought my admin password is actually a CD key to one of my games!! :P Oh, the grief I had when I started off! Now, I memorised the entire sequence of 25 alpha-numerical CD key! ^_^ Hahaha... :lol: I can now relax knowing that no one's gonna break through my password! B) ..unless, of course....hackers from the internet.... :ph34r: got to watch out for them....

Anyway, unless someone else say otherwise or you know, might comment to this; my topic is solved. Thanks guys! :)

• Moderators

You should* be able to remove approved apps from the Parental Control Control Panel while signed in as an approver

1. Open Parental Controls by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg, clicking Control Panel, and then, under User Accounts and Family Safety, clicking Set up parental controls for any user.‌ 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48.jpg If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. Click the name of the person you want to prevent from using specific programs.
  3. Under Parental Controls, click On, enforce current settings.
  4. Click Block specific programs.
  5. Click Person's name‌ can only use the programs I allow.
  6. Select the programs that you want to allow. If the program you want doesn't appear in the list, click Browse to locate the program.

Tip

Make sure that you select all of the programs that you want your child to be able to run. Parental Controls will block any program not selected in the list.

But yes the idea behind PC is that it's not supposed to be a one time only usage of a program, but instead to tell the computer my "child" can run this program but not this one.

*As I have Windows 7 Enterprise, I do not have Parental Controls so cannot test this theory.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

You should* be able to remove approved apps from the Parental Control Control Panel while signed in as an approver

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

*As I have Windows 7 Enterprise, I do not have Parental Controls so cannot test this theory.

What about at home? You can do this at home, can't you? Or are you working from home? Or does does home also have this ediition? I thought that edition also had it...hm, must of thought of some other edition then.... -_-

• Moderators

I don't know if you can relief in home, that's what I was getting at, but I assume you can. "working from home"? my windows 7 version is enterprise and thus has not this feature at all. enterprise is ultimate minus parental controls and a few other afaict

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

I don't know if you can relief in home, that's what I was getting at, but I assume you can. "working from home"? my windows 7 version is enterprise and thus has not this feature at all. enterprise is ultimate minus parental controls and a few other afaict
Well, I can, I know that coz I got windows 7 Home Premium, but don't know if you can...you're "home" computer is windows 7 Enterprise Edition? Didn't think home users could even have such an operating system like that... :huh:

• Moderators

lol my "home" computer's a laptop and is also my work computer

actually it's my only non-dedicated-to-studio-work computer

<-----poor IT for non-profit

• 3 weeks later...