Firefox Updates / Releases

nodles

Firefox 10 final released: http://www.mozilla.o...0/releasenotes/

Also Firefox 11 moved to Beta, 12 to Aurora and 13 to Nightly.

CSS3 + HTML5 improvements & Anti-Aliasing for WebGL now implemented.

Just updated & my addons + extensions are working normally.

Forgot to mention Thunderbird 10.

Edited by nodles

Since I am running 2 different type systems (x86 and x64), I may create a launcher so I can use my same profile/plugins on both platforms and just extract the x86 and x64 core into their own folder. Getting tired of constantly changing folder.

25qd6wl.jpg

Tr3, I thought x86 & x64 both can use the same profile?

Why are you having to constantly change folders? I am confused here. Can't you just use Firefox Profile manager to make it work on the other system?

If you have x86 installed to one system, & x64 another, it may cause problems, but if your dual or triple booting, u can use profile manager, can't you?

P.S. What do you mean by extracting x86 & x64 core to their own folder. I assume you mean Firefox. But why do that if 32 Bit Firefox also works great under x64?

I use Portable Firefox and the only x86 and x64 versions from PorableAppz are Palemoon and Nightly. X86 flavor satified me for a while since I was on an x86 system. But my wife and daughter left me standing in the dust and they have x64 laptops. I basically want one ZIP file which contains the launcher, plugins and core files and all I need to do is dump the profile folder in the proper spot so it can work on whatever system I place the core files on. I have a tendacy to keep a couple of revs of the portable versions laying around so to troubleshoot if I need to. Oh yeah...the core files are the application files themselves. If you look inside the Firefox Setup file, you fill see a CORE folder, that is what get copied when an update happens.

So what I would like to do is have the FF-x86 Released and WaterFox-x64 together until FF has its own x64

25qd6wl.jpg

Tr, I think one of the outstanding features is the removal of the back button on version 10. I personally think the removal of the back button was a step in the wrong direction.

Or, it states it is in the change log. I gotta re-install firefox. Meaning, my backbutton is still there cause I updated from 9.

It is claimed to be faster, but seems 9 was about as fast to me. Whatever, but as long as it really is faster, guess its a step in the right direction.

As far as the profile, I don't know how often you update it, but if you just want to keep it the same, & install it for testing, why don't you use WinRar & create an SFX to extract it silently to %Appdata%? Assuming it is still left with the default Mozilla folder, that should be all you need.

I would imagine you can create a .bat file to copy it if your doing it from a flash drive.

_____

I read what you said about your wife & daughter leaving u in the dust, but I am still a little confused here. Do you mean that the x64 bit version is that much faster than the x86? On my machine, it seems pretty instant on x86, so not sure how it could be too much faster. Of course, I also have an ATI 1 GB graphics card, if that helps. And 4 GB ram (only 3.25 recognized whether 32 or 64 bit because I got the machine right at the time before 64 bit became norm. It supports 64 bit instruction sets in the processor, just that the bios doesn't support over 3.25 GB usable ram, & it has the latest bios update. So, seeing the advantage of 64 is the extra ram, I am using 32 bit now, since there is basically no difference...)

If you wanted to use a portable x86 & portable x64, you can also SFX them with winrar & use batch icon extractor to extract an exact icon clone. So your SFX portable browser will be a single EXE instead of clicking a folder, then finding the EXE, then clicking the EXE.

So you could have a folder that said Firefox: 32 Bit.exe & 64 Bit.exe

Much simpler that way. They both use the exact same profile, don't they? Or does the portable version use a profile inside the portable folder? I haven't used portable Firefox yet, so I haven't played with the features. If they do use the portable folder, why don't you just create a folder called Profiles inside the same Firefox folder & drop the profile your using inside that. Then, get the 32 & the 64 bit set to always use the same profile folder via the Firefox Profile Manager, & after you set them like that, then create the SFX after they save the settings?

• Moderators

Anyone else notice that 10 seems to be easier on it's memory load?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Anyone else notice that 10 seems to be easier on it's memory load?

I really don't see any differnece between 9 & 10

Much simpler that way. They both use the exact same profile, don't they? Or does the portable version use a profile inside the portable folder? I haven't used portable Firefox yet, so I haven't played with the features. If they do use the portable folder, why don't you just create a folder called Profiles inside the same Firefox folder & drop the profile your using inside that. Then, get the 32 & the 64 bit set to always use the same profile folder via the Firefox Profile Manager, & after you set them like that, then create the SFX after they save the settings?

I would like to create a launcher sililar to the way PortableAppZ does where there is an Apps folder that contains x86 and x64 APP folder, a Plugin and Profile folder. What I like about PortableApps and PortableAppZ is that if you run a portable on a system that already has FF (or any other portable app) already present, it backs up the info and then restores them when exiting. I haven't figured out a way to break their launcher apart yet. Right now I am leaning on using one of their apps and just plug in my CORE files......since their system seems to work fine.

25qd6wl.jpg

What I like about PortableApps and PortableAppZ is that if you run a portable on a system that already has FF (or any other portable app) already present, it backs up the info and then restores them when exiting. I haven't figured out a way to break their launcher apart yet. Right now I am leaning on using one of their apps and just plug in my CORE files......since their system seems to work fine.

This might not break their launcher, but it may well break your installed Apps :-

I found that the "launch/retrieval" system assumed sole ownership of the resources for the duration of the Portable variant,

i.e. it made temporary copies of run-time locations and filled those locations with what the variant last used, and then ran the variant,

and when the variant closed the retriever would capture the latest current settings for future use, and restore the temporary copies back for the benefit of the installed version.

If however the installed version was running at the same time as the portable, the situation became confused :wacko:

I've done that before and can't remember if there were any serious after effects. If the portable is running and you run the installed app, the installed app gets the info from the portable running. Now visa-versa could be a problem depending on which closes first. But for the most part, I run portables on my system except for Office, Adobe and any other app which is large and needs system integration......now that reminds me to chack on Waterfox and see if it has been released.

25qd6wl.jpg

Years ago I found Winmerge allowed me to find the differences between the contents of one set of folders and an earlier archive.

I spent much effort in optimizing the selection and fine tuning the order of the display columns and the width of each column.

Subsequently I found PortableApps had a version so I chose to go with that.

I decided to run both versions one above the other so I could rapidly select and adjust each column in the Portable to match the Installed.

Things were never the same after I closed both - they had some horrendous interaction whilst running and neither closed with what took so much effort in the first place.

Incidentally, since then I came across a true proper portable 64 bit comparator called BestSync.

In a few seconds this shows me every difference between C:\ and P:\, where P:\ is the mount of a Macrium Image.

That reminds me of anything I recently installed - and if my malware protection failed it would show what had climbed on board.

• Moderators

the reason for that, Alan, is any of the PortableApps branded portable applications unpack the program, including the registry & appdata folders then picks them back up at close. I only use JHaller' s apps if no other portable alternet

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

the reason for that, Alan, is any of the PortableApps branded portable applications unpack the program, including the registry & appdata folders then picks them back up at close. I only use JHaller' s apps if no other portable alternet

Actually I understood the reason later that same day and kicked myself for not thinking about the consequences before I did it :rolleyes:

I think some applications on that site do not mess with the registry because the original product avoided the registry.