Fancy a $25 credit card sized computer?

JDPower

What's the point of spending even the little amount of money required to buy the Raspberry Pi if it can't run anything in the modern age? It's a nice concept, but needs to be more powerful in order to be able to run things somewhat decently. But then again, I guess you could use it in the fashion as mentioned by Hazel.

What's the point of spending even the little amount of money required to buy the Raspberry Pi if it can't run anything in the modern age? It's a nice concept, but needs to be more powerful in order to be able to run things somewhat decently.

It's not meant to be a gaming powerhouse or anything, I heard them discussing it on the radio and they were talking about it making computing accessible for people in third world countries. It runs all basic computing needs, word processing etc, that's all it's supposed to do. Anyone who wants more advanced functionality isn't gonna be buying a $25 computer in the first place.

It's not meant to be a gaming powerhouse or anything, I heard them discussing it on the radio and they were talking about it making computing accessible for people in third world countries. It runs all basic computing needs, word processing etc, that's all it's supposed to do. Anyone who wants more advanced functionality isn't gonna be buying a $25 computer in the first place.

True, true, but I thought Word these days was actually pretty RAM intensive, certainly needing more than 256 mbs. Certain web browsers (*cough*Firefox*cough*) use >= half the amount of RAM the Pi comes with. Then again, there is probably some super optimized word processor that can work with the Pi.

Then again, there is probably some super optimized word processor that can work with the Pi.

To start with there is WordStar

I remember using this under DOS in the good old days when nothing needed more than 640 Kilo Bytes of RAM